HBF
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF/051 retired

Default Arkansas Best Corp. Q3 2009 Earnings Call Transcript

Thought some of you might want to read this if you did not get in on the call.

Arkansas Best Corp. Q3 2009 Earnings Call Transcript

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Arkansas Best Corp. Q3 2009 Earnings Call Transcript

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand ABF posted a loss but, Where did the dividend of $0.15 per share come from. I fiqure that is equal to $3,750,000.This was declared on 10/20, this is payable Nov 15th, and is based on 25million shares. So if they can pay stock holders a dividend, the company can afford to continue our wages at the current rate. I for one have no problem freezing our wages for the balance of the contract, but do not feeling comfortable giving back!................Again this is just my thought at this time

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I don't know about everyone else but at my terminal they have been spending money fixing things and that means some very expensive things. They have just about completely replaced our city tractors. So they are spending money that shows a loss at the quarters end. We have the best trucking leadership in the country bar none. That does not mean they are soft or easy to work for by any means. They are cost focused and they expect us to do our jobs. In return they do not waste their profits on things that will not return a set profit back into the company. It was said last night at a union function by a BA that ABF seems to be more contractually aware than his other freight barns. Meaning they rather go by the contract more so than making side agreements. No they are not easy on their Teamsters but either are we easy on them WE expect them to live up to their responsibilities also. Listen to the news report by Ms. McReynolds and you will hear her say one of her top priorities is getting all the laid off people back to work. She did not have to say this but it is just the way ABF does things. They are not perfect and yes I don't like some of the things they do. But they have a plan for this recession and they will damn well stay on coarse this I can promise you. Here is hoping JUDY MCREYNOLDS is successful in getting all my laid off BROTHERS and SISTERS back to work SOON! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!
    Last edited by MULER; 10-25-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Steward

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF Freight

Quote Originally Posted by MULER View Post
    I don't know about everyone else but at my terminal they have been spending money fixing things and that means some very expensive things. They have just about completely replaced our city tractors. So they are spending money that shows a loss at the quarters end. We have the best trucking leadership in the country bar none. That does not mean they are soft or easy to work for by any means. They are cost focused and they expect us to do our jobs. In return they do not waste their profits on things that will not return a set profit back into the company. It was said last night at a union function by a BA that ABF seems to be more contractually aware than his other freight barns. Meaning they rather go by the contract more so than making side agreements. No they are not easy on their Teamsters but either are we easy on them WE expect them to live up to their responsibilities also. Listen to the news report by Ms. McReynolds and you will hear her say one of her top priorities is getting all the laid off people back to work. She did not have to say this but it is just the way ABF does things. They are not perfect and yes I don't like some of the things they do. But they have a plan for this recession and they will damn well stay on coarse this I can promise you. Here is hoping JUDY MCREYNOLDS is successful in getting all my laid off BROTHERS and SISTERS back to work SOON! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!
    Wish we could get them to fix things at our terminal as they spend no money what so ever. If ABF owns the terminals I don't think they repair them as ours has glass broken in the doors dock plates broken and doors that don't work. I sent letter to Bob Davidson who in turn sent it to Wes Kemp who in turn sent it to Murray Babb who in turn sent it to David Evans who after investigating the problems they are still there 1 year later with nothing being fixed. I guess the nice part about all the holes in the terminal yard is that we will have a fix to this as they are full of water and with it starting to freeze here they soon will be iced over problem solved.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Tiredseat do me a favor. Take pictures of these problems and send them to Murray Babb. He has always been fair with the Cleveland Teamsters. Along with the pictures send a letter telling about the hazards associated with each situation. In essence what you are doing is putting the company on notice that there are safety hazards at your location and send a copy to your Local. If anyone is injured you will then have proof that the company was aware of the dangers.I have found that the TM is the one not fixing things due to the cost and his OR.YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!