Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures...I work at one of the busiest terminals on the East Coast...2631 can verify that...as I've previously mentioned we've had 7 or 8 drivers retire within the past year or so...All great Teamsters and even better experienced PEDDLE Men...how can you replace that,especially in this day and age...no way...can't get drivers...ABF has been using 8 to 10 cartage drivers every day,especially now with vacations upon us...not good for all concerned...it's gotten so bad that the cartage drivers are starting to PICK and CHOOSE what they will or won't do...can you imagine?...

So what ABF has come up with is this...within the past 2 weeks and up until the end of August...ALL NEW HIRES will receive TOP SCALE and at the same time...IMMEDIATELY GO ON THE LIST...no background checks...no 3 or 4 month wait...nothing...they absolutely knew they had to do something and this was it...Union had no problem with it because the guys now on probation at lesser pay go right to top scale and on the list as soon as they hired the first one...I believe it's some kid right out of the Military...Good for him...as you can imagine they're getting more applicants now...the other Jersey terminals have not implemented this program...not sure about the rest of the country...we'll see what happens...
Don't know if it is a driver shortage or what. No one seems to know but here in ABQ, the drivers are being sent everywhere! I am talking about road drivers like my husband. I frequently don't see him home for three days now. They used to go to Green River, UT. From there another driver from SLC would come to Green River and pick up the load. Now they are being sent straight to SLC. Really tight on hours. Husband ran out of ours one day just outside of ABQ. Another driver had to come get him. They go to Liberal Kansas. Now all the sudden from there they do I think it was a Wichita Turn, come back and spend the night in Liberal and then come home. Some ABQ drivers are being sent all the way to Oregon now. Have never heard of that in all the years my husband has worked for ABQ.