Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default re: Allegiant Air News

This Airline’s Scheduling System Is Making Its Pilots Exhausted
    Holiday travelers flying on Allegiant Air got an unexpected free visit to Tampa Bay, Florida, last Friday, but it wasn’t exactly the getaway they were hoping for. En route to the Punta Gorda airport in southwest Florida, their flight was diverted to Tampa, according to the Associated Press, “after the pilot spotted an illuminated fuel indicator light in the cockpit.” Passengers reported afterwards that they had been “told there was a problem with fuel.” The airline cited poor weather.

Whatever the actual problem was, the incident adds yet another stain to Allegiant’s already sketchy safety record. The discount airline is known for low fares and abysmal service. And Allegiant’s failure to stay on schedule appears to be matched by its heel-dragging on its ongoing contract talks with its pilots and other workers.

In a recent letter to the Allegiant’s Board of Directors, ahead of their annual shareholder meeting, the pilots, with APA Teamsters 1224, complained that while resisting a reasonable compromise on fair work rules in contract talks that have dragged on for more than two years, “Allegiant is continuing to cut corners on industry‐standard practices” and “using scheduling systems that create pilot fatigue and frustration.” Meanwhile, litigation over the scheduling rules is ongoing; pilots recently threatened to strike before being blocked in court.
    This Airline

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Teamsters release report on 'dangerous' Allegiant Air maintenance issues
    Allegiant Airline's pilots' union released a report Monday claiming the airline's maintenance practices were “dangerous and not up to industry standards."

The Teamsters Union Airline Division has been complaining about mechanical problems on flights all across the country.

The report, written by the Aviation Mechanics Coalition, documents 98 "preventable" mechanical problems on Allegiant flights from September 2015 to January 2016. The report indicates 10 of those flights were scheduled to depart or arrive at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
    Teamsters release report on 'dangerous' Allegiant Air maintenance issues - ABC15 Arizona

3. Likes 222lifer, 2631 Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Hundreds of pilots poised to leave Allegiant Air

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) - Allegiant Air has been rocked by a new scandal.

Pilots poised to flee in search of safer skies and a better work environment.

Las Vegas-based KTNV's Darcy Spears has been investigating Allegiant for nearly a year. She reports why hundreds of pilots say they're looking to leave.
    Hundreds of pilots poised to leave Allegiant Air - ABC2News.com

5. Likes 2631 Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

The price of flying cheap

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- We all want a good deal-– especially when it comes to the ever increasing cost of flying. But what if that good deal came with another price?

The FAA is now investigating Allegiant airlines after repeated mechanical issues and problems in the air. And the airline may soon be adding more flights in our area.
    NBC Charlotte asked Allegiant for a response. In an email a spokeswoman said, “The Teamsters Aviation Mechanics Coalition has never inspected a single Allegiant aircraft and has no firsthand knowledge of our operation. The Teamsters currently represent our pilots and have a history of manipulating the media to attempt to exert pressure on contract negotiations. Allegiant is a safe airline."
    The price of flying cheap | WCNC.com

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Cheap isn't always the best option.
    Then again, flying at 35000 feet in a giant greyhound bus isn't real comforting either.
    Your depending on too many factors beyond your control.

8. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Cheap isn't always the best option.
    Then again, flying at 35000 feet in a giant greyhound bus isn't real comforting either.
    Your depending on too many factors beyond your control.
    I don't like flying as it is. In fact I hate it (trying to get over that so I can go to Ireland one day) and then to hear things like this, well, makes it pretty tough to face my fear of flying.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    I don't like flying as it is. In fact I hate it (trying to get over that so I can go to Ireland one day) and then to hear things like this, well, makes it pretty tough to face my fear of flying.
    Boats, or Cruise liners sink too. I understand where your coming from, but I just face the fact some things are beyond my control and refuse to allow them to dictate how I live my life.
    Leaving for Ireland in July. Decided to fly American Airlines this time. Never had an issue with Aer Lingus, but the traveling to NYC made the start and end of the trip annoying. I paid more, but this time I fly out of Philadelphia.
    Life goes by fast enough. Step out and see the land of green.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Boats, or Cruise liners sink too. I understand where your coming from, but I just face the fact some things are beyond my control and refuse to allow them to dictate how I live my life.
    Leaving for Ireland in July. Decided to fly American Airlines this time. Never had an issue with Aer Lingus, but the traveling to NYC made the start and end of the trip annoying. I paid more, but this time I fly out of Philadelphia.
    Life goes by fast enough. Step out and see the land of green.
    Oh I will for sure one day. Just not in a place to do it right now. I have flown. I have gone to Hawaii and San Francisco. I just find it absolutely terrifying. I think I get rather claustrophobic for one thing. Ireland is on my bucket list, but I have much more important issues to deal with in my life right now.
    Last edited by ABFwife; 05-18-2016 at 10:24 AM.

12. Likes fxstc07 Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Teamster Pilots At Allegiant Airlines Reach Historic Tentative Agreement

More than three years after bargaining, Allegiant Airlines pilots represented by Teamsters Local 1224 have reached a tentative agreement on their first union contract with the airline on Tuesday, June 21, 2016. Teamsters and company negotiators have agreed to meet the week of June 27 to finalize the contract language. There are more than 700 pilots in the bargaining unit.

The tentative agreement includes significant compensation, retirement and medical benefit increases, improved scheduling rules and procedures, strong job protections, and other important work rule enhancements. The specific details of the tentative agreement will first be disclosed to and discussed with the workers. Allegiant Airlines pilots will vote whether to approve the agreement in a secret ballot referendum that will likely be conducted in July.
    https://teamster.org/news/2016/06/te...tive-agreement

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Teamster Allegiant Air Pilots Approve Historic First Contract

(WILMINGTON, Ohio) – After more than three years of bargaining, Allegiant Air pilots - represented by Teamsters Local 1224 - ratified their first union contract with the airline on Thursday. With substantial improvements in compensation, benefits, and scheduling, the contract is a major victory for the pilots who have been working tirelessly to raise standards at the low-cost carrier. Pilots will immediately receive up to 31 percent pay increases, high quality health insurance and greater job security.

“Together, we’ve achieved something that few in our industry thought was possible,” said Allegiant Air Captain and Executive Council Chairman Cameron Graff. “But we knew that by sticking together, we could win a contract that raises standards for our industry and gives our families the stability we need. This is a turning point for Allegiant pilots and our company, and we are looking forward to working with management to make our airline the best it can be for our passengers.”

This union agreement gives pilots – for the first time – the full job protections of a contract, a critical component to a safe working environment and airline. This will include full participation in critical FAA safety programs
    https://teamster.org/news/2016/07/te...first-contract

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast