Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    One More Time

Local Union
    Employer
    RoadWay Express

Default Those who have Molded,Shaped, and help make the "Trucker Mystique"

There are people who advertantly or inadvertantly helped shape the "Mold" alot of us "truckers" fall into. It may have been a CEO at CF when the Cabover was designed, or Claude Akins in the short-lived tv-series "Movin' On",, I hope alot of you add to this and maybe those who don't make a buck jamming gears deep into the night might get a better insight on those of us who do, and an understanding of the Character that makes us what we are......"Trucker's".........

This man inspired many with his humor, as a boy I was banned
    from listening to him and as an adult I still find him funny...

Introducing...

Gene Tracy....

Gene Tracy was born Ivan Eugene Morris on April 8, 1927 in Anadarko, Oklahoma. A comic legend, Gene Tracy was born with not only a funny gene, but also a sincerity and gentleness that didn't go unnoticed by his audience. With his terrific sense of humor and knack of telling funny party jokes, his millions of fans soon dubbed him "Mr. Truck Stop" and "Ol Red Eyes". Whether stand-up comedian, after dinner speaker, evening entertainer, emcee, actor, or carnival promoter, Gene Tracy became the consummate entertainers' entertainer. In the beginning, Ivan Morris (Gene) was a front man for the Paul Miller Carnival called "The Greatest Free Show On Earth". Escaping a tragic relationship with his abusive father, he ran off and joined the circus at an early age. Ivan (Gene) would travel ahead of the caravan, promoting the event by putting radio and newspaper ads on power poles in any given town. One such event changed the direction of his life forever. Following a snowstorm at a fraternal event, the scheduled keynote speaker for the night was forced to cancel at the last minute. Since Ivan (Gene) was already in town, he filled in with some of the stories and "party jokes" that he picked up from drivers at the truck stops he frequented in his travels. In the audience was a radio station owner who booked Ivan (Gene) in a club outside Charlotte, NC. From there he was discovered by a record company executive, signed to a recording contract and given the name Gene Tracy. Today, more than four decades later, Gene's hilarious stories and jokes have sold more than 20 million recordings and his comedic legacy is firmly cemented. Throughout the years, Gene appeared in several movies, including "Movin On". In addition, he found work on radio and television shows such as "Rin-Tin-Tin" and worked many great entertainers like Jackie Cooper, Ann Margaret, Claude Akins, Rex Allen, Pat Buttram, Archie Campbell, Carol Channing, Peggy Lee and many others. Gene Tracy passed away in El Paso, TX in 1979 of a heart attack at just 52 years of age. He is buried in Tampa, Florida in Sunset Memory Gardens (a cemetery for carnival people).

Gene Tracy Bio

ENOUGH I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    Who Knows?

Default Re: Those who have Molded,Shaped, and help make the "Trucker Mystique"

Now there's a blast from the past. Haven't heard that name in a long long time. Last I knew he was on 8 track tape not CD's.

One More Time

Local Union
    Employer
    RoadWay Express

Don't knock them ol' 8 tracks they had a sound that a CD cannot match...

"Finally"

Local Union
    GCC/IBT
    Employer
    Avery Dennison

Yeah, especially that loud "Click" right in the middle of songs!

Local Union
    Employer
    Who Knows?

Quote Originally Posted by egambino View Post
    Yeah, especially that loud "Click" right in the middle of songs!
    Don't forget how much fun it was trying to remove an 8 track from the tape deck when the tape was wound around the player head.

"Finally"

Local Union
    GCC/IBT
    Employer
    Avery Dennison

Even cassettes have gone the way of Dodo birds. While not the biggest fan of Cd's, I'll have to admit that the recently released Beatles Remastered discs are utterly amazing.

One More Time

Local Union
    Employer
    RoadWay Express

Quote Originally Posted by egambino View Post
    Even cassettes have gone the way of Dodo birds. While not the biggest fan of Cd's, I'll have to admit that the recently released Beatles Remastered discs are utterly amazing.

still got cassettes and as long as I can buy blanks I'll nevwer convert

Local Union
    Employer
    Who Knows?

Quote Originally Posted by snortin nortin View Post
    still got cassettes and as long as I can buy blanks I'll nevwer convert
    I heard that in the Ozarks cassettes are state of the art technology.

One More Time

Local Union
    Employer
    RoadWay Express

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap560 View Post
    I heard that in the Ozarks cassettes are state of the art technology.

Yeah Buddy and when you come across a "Hi-Teck-Hillbilly" most likely he will own one of them thar "Beta" movie machines for "rentals and such".

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I think Snortin should be the TECH MASTER for Teamsters on Line. Does anyone else agree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast