Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Vacation time

  1. #1
    I Am Rocking Now

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    new penn
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Posts
    22,014
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Vacation time

    All work and no play may as well be the American way.

    Americans give up $67 billion worth of vacation days in 2010 - May. 25, 2011

    "Vacations tend to suck up money. They tempt people to spend more, save less and take on more debt. By forfeiting some of their vacation days, Americans are trying to eliminate the temptation to spend money," Spiker said.
    Personally,I have NEVER given up vacation time..And I do know that our counterparts in the rest of the world get a whole lot more vacation time then we do here...



  2. #2
    Obscurity has no heroes.

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Local Union
    173
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,545
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Vacation time

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    All work and no play may as well be the American way.

    Americans give up $67 billion worth of vacation days in 2010 - May. 25, 2011



    Personally,I have NEVER given up vacation time..And I do know that our counterparts in the rest of the world get a whole lot more vacation time then we do here...


    Either way we get paid for it. The question then becomes if I can otherwise afford vacation. Part of the equation is also that I work a compressed work week, so I have 3 or 4 days off every week unless I'm covering a coworker. And after the open-heart surgery, I had two months recovery, so I'm not really looking to take time off anytime soon, anyway.

    Because we're Teamsters, I didn't have to use up my sick/personal days, floating holidays, or vacation. I just went on short-term disability after the first day. So I'll get those paid back to me (part of our contract) when the year end rolls around (and the vacation payout in June).

    Did I mention I LOVE working in a union shop and being a Teamster? High wages, good benefits, restrictions on corporate abuses? OH YEEEEEAAAAH!!!, as the Macho Man would say.

  3. #3
    Getting In The Groove Now.

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Local Union
    174
    Employer
    ups freight
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    159

    Default Re: Vacation time

    Quote Originally Posted by TropicDave173 View Post
    Either way we get paid for it. The question then becomes if I can otherwise afford vacation. Part of the equation is also that I work a compressed work week, so I have 3 or 4 days off every week unless I'm covering a coworker. And after the open-heart surgery, I had two months recovery, so I'm not really looking to take time off anytime soon, anyway.

    Because we're Teamsters, I didn't have to use up my sick/personal days, floating holidays, or vacation. I just went on short-term disability after the first day. So I'll get those paid back to me (part of our contract) when the year end rolls around (and the vacation payout in June).

    Did I mention I LOVE working in a union shop and being a Teamster? High wages, good benefits, restrictions on corporate abuses? OH YEEEEEAAAAH!!!, as the Macho Man would say.
    Agreed, I am on short term disability right now and am not having to use all my vacation, I am just using on day per week to pay for dues without taking a withdrawal and I have my car insurance coming out of paycheck, got to keep that going, so I still have a normal vacation in October that I have planned with the family, even though I am out for the next six weeks. I would of had to use all my vacation, sick time and anything else last company could think of and not been able to keep any paid time off.

  4. #4
    Obscurity has no heroes.

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Local Union
    173
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,545
    Rep Power
    279

    Default Re: Vacation time

    Quote Originally Posted by sppollock View Post
    Agreed, I am on short term disability right now and am not having to use all my vacation, I am just using on day per week to pay for dues without taking a withdrawal and I have my car insurance coming out of paycheck, got to keep that going, so I still have a normal vacation in October that I have planned with the family, even though I am out for the next six weeks. I would of had to use all my vacation, sick time and anything else last company could think of and not been able to keep any paid time off.
    Good for you, brother! Another good contract, it sounds like...

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101