Thread: Vacation time

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Default Vacation time

All work and no play may as well be the American way.

Americans give up $67 billion worth of vacation days in 2010 - May. 25, 2011

"Vacations tend to suck up money. They tempt people to spend more, save less and take on more debt. By forfeiting some of their vacation days, Americans are trying to eliminate the temptation to spend money," Spiker said.
    Personally,I have NEVER given up vacation time..And I do know that our counterparts in the rest of the world get a whole lot more vacation time then we do here...

Obscurity has no heroes.

Local Union
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)

Default Re: Vacation time

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    All work and no play may as well be the American way.

Americans give up $67 billion worth of vacation days in 2010 - May. 25, 2011

Personally,I have NEVER given up vacation time..And I do know that our counterparts in the rest of the world get a whole lot more vacation time then we do here...

Either way we get paid for it. The question then becomes if I can otherwise afford vacation. Part of the equation is also that I work a compressed work week, so I have 3 or 4 days off every week unless I'm covering a coworker. And after the open-heart surgery, I had two months recovery, so I'm not really looking to take time off anytime soon, anyway.

Because we're Teamsters, I didn't have to use up my sick/personal days, floating holidays, or vacation. I just went on short-term disability after the first day. So I'll get those paid back to me (part of our contract) when the year end rolls around (and the vacation payout in June).

Did I mention I LOVE working in a union shop and being a Teamster? High wages, good benefits, restrictions on corporate abuses? OH YEEEEEAAAAH!!!, as the Macho Man would say.

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    ups freight

Quote Originally Posted by TropicDave173 View Post
    Either way we get paid for it. The question then becomes if I can otherwise afford vacation. Part of the equation is also that I work a compressed work week, so I have 3 or 4 days off every week unless I'm covering a coworker. And after the open-heart surgery, I had two months recovery, so I'm not really looking to take time off anytime soon, anyway.

Because we're Teamsters, I didn't have to use up my sick/personal days, floating holidays, or vacation. I just went on short-term disability after the first day. So I'll get those paid back to me (part of our contract) when the year end rolls around (and the vacation payout in June).

Did I mention I LOVE working in a union shop and being a Teamster? High wages, good benefits, restrictions on corporate abuses? OH YEEEEEAAAAH!!!, as the Macho Man would say.
    Agreed, I am on short term disability right now and am not having to use all my vacation, I am just using on day per week to pay for dues without taking a withdrawal and I have my car insurance coming out of paycheck, got to keep that going, so I still have a normal vacation in October that I have planned with the family, even though I am out for the next six weeks. I would of had to use all my vacation, sick time and anything else last company could think of and not been able to keep any paid time off.

Obscurity has no heroes.

Local Union
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)

Quote Originally Posted by sppollock View Post
    Agreed, I am on short term disability right now and am not having to use all my vacation, I am just using on day per week to pay for dues without taking a withdrawal and I have my car insurance coming out of paycheck, got to keep that going, so I still have a normal vacation in October that I have planned with the family, even though I am out for the next six weeks. I would of had to use all my vacation, sick time and anything else last company could think of and not been able to keep any paid time off.
    Good for you, brother! Another good contract, it sounds like...