I have posted so many stories like this on TOL. It makes me angry that there are many people out there that insist there is work if you are willing to do it. I remember watching a story on TV one time about a millionaire that lost his job due to cutbacks and he was working at a pizza joint. But in reality, how many people are willing to hire someone completely over qualified for a job. Not many. And then there is the fact that you are competing with large numbers of such people for the same lousy jobs. I had thought about going back to school but I will not waste my time or money now. I have skills but that is not going to change the situation with the job market.

The latest figures show December was another month of steady, moderate job growth. But for many people still struggling with long-term unemployment, the situation hasn't actually changed much at all.
For Alecia Warthen, the last eight months have been painfully stagnant.

She was the first person in her family to finish college, after growing up in one of the roughest sections of Brooklyn. She had earned an accounting degree and worked as a bookkeeper for most of the last decade.

Then she lost her job with the City of New York last April, and she's now telling local grocery stores she'll do anything for a job — mop floors, stock shelves, bag groceries.
Diminishing Prospects For The Long-Term Unemployed : NPR