We don't have a Goodwill in my town but we do have a Salvation Army. Now I am wondering if they do the same thing? They have had a bad attitude at that store lately so I am going to go back to a small thrift store I have donated to for years that is faith based and helps thousands of people in my community along with our Parishes Saint Vincent De Paul. They are run by volunteers so no deception there. This article is actually pretty shocking to me.

More than 100 Goodwill entities employ workers through the Special Wage Certificate program, a Depression-era loophole in federal labor law that allows organizations to pay subminimum wages to people with disabilities. According to Goodwill, 7,300 of its 105,000 employees are subject to the minimum wage exemption that affects 300,000 workers nationwide. My investigation revealed that these same Goodwill entities that use the special wage program simultaneously spent $53.7 million in total executive compensation. Here are some more highlights:

Goodwill of Southern California paid more than $1.1 million in total compensation to its then-CEO, making him the highest paid Goodwill executive in the country.

A husband-wife Goodwill executive team in North Carolina collected a combined $795,372 in total compensation.

Seventeen Goodwill entities reported executive compensation in excess of $1 million per year.

Goodwill entities spent more than $39.1 million in travel-related expenses.
John Hrabe: Goodwill Minimum Wage Loophole Will Shock You