Like Tree250Likes

Thread: This Date in History

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    American Products

Default This Date in History

On this date in:

1783 Britain declared a formal cessation of hostilities with its former colonies, the United States of America.

1789 Electors unanimously chose George Washington to be the first president of the United States.

1801 John Marshall was sworn in as chief justice of the United States.

1861 Delegates from six southern states met in Montgomery, Ala., to form the Confederate States of America.

1913 Civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks was born Rosa Louise McCauley in Tuskegee, Ala.

1938 The Thornton Wilder play "Our Town" opened on Broadway.

1941 The United Service Organizations (USO) came into existence.

1945 President Franklin D. Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Soviet leader Josef Stalin began a wartime conference at Yalta.

1948 The island nation of Ceylon - now Sri Lanka - became an independent dominion within the British Commonwealth.

1969 - 33-year-old John Madden became head coach of the NFL?s Oakland Raiders. In his first season Madden took the Raiders to a 12-1-1 record and earned them a spot in the AFC Conference Championship Game. Madden went on to become the youngest head coach in the modern NFL era to win 100 games in his first ten seasons.

1974 Newspaper heiress Patricia Hearst was kidnapped in Berkeley, Calif., by the Symbionese Liberation Army.

1976 An earthquake struck Guatemala and Honduras, killing more than 22,000 people.

1977 The album "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac was released.

1983 Singer Karen Carpenter died at age 32.

1987 Pianist Liberace died at age 67.

1993 - The ?Family and Medical Leave Act? was passed by the U.S. Congress this day. The law gives employees unpaid leave in the event of a birth or a medical emergency in their family.

1997 A civil jury found O.J. Simpson liable for the deaths of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman.

1998 A magnitude 6.1 earthquake hit northeast Afghanistan, killing an estimated 5,000 people.

1999 Unarmed West African immigrant Amadou Diallo was shot and killed in front of his Bronx home by four plainclothes New York City police officers who said they mistook his wallet for a gun. The police fired 41 shots at Diallo.

2000 A coalition government that included Joerg Haider's far-right Freedom Party came to power in Austria, triggering European Union sanctions.

2003 Lawmakers formally dissolved Yugoslavia and replaced it with a loose union of its remaining two republics, Serbia and Montenegro.

2004 The Massachusetts high court declared that gays were entitled to marry.

Notable Birthdays on February 4
    1802 - Mark Hopkins
    educator: Williams College president: U.S. President Garfield said, ?All that is needed for a superior education is Mark Hopkins on one end of a log and a student on the other.?; died in 1887

1902 - Charles Lindbergh
    ?Lucky Lindy?: aviator: first to fly solo and nonstop across the Atlantic Ocean: flew The Spirit of St. Louis from NY to Paris [May 1927]; a major name in politics and business; died Aug 26, 1974

1904 - MacKinlay Kantor
    Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist: Andersonville [1956]; Long Remember, Gettysburg, Signal Thirty-Two; died Oct 11, 1977

1905 - Eddie Foy, Jr.
    actor: Yankee Doodle Dandy, Bells Are Ringing, The Pajama Game, Gidget Goes Hawaiian, Four Jacks and a Jill; died July 15, 1983

1912 - James Craig (Meador)
    actor: The Devil?s Brigade, The Human Comedy; died June 28, 1985

1912 - Byron Nelson
    World Golf Hall of Famer: Masters Champion [1937 & 1942], U.S. Open Champion [1939], PGA Champion [1940 & 1945]; PGA record for most wins in a season [18 tournaments in 1945]; died Sep 26, 2006

1913 - Rosa Lee Parks
    civil rights leader: triggered 1955 boycott of Montgomery AL bus system by refusing to give up her seat to a white passenger

1913 - **** Seaman
    British auto racer; killed in racing crash June 25, 1939

1914 - Ida Lupino
    actress: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, On Dangerous Ground, My Boys Are Good Boys; director: The Bigamist, The Hitch-Hiker, The Trouble with Angels; died Aug 3, 1995

1915 - William Talman
    actor: Armored Car Robbery, The Hitch-Hiker, One Minute to Zero; died Aug 30, 1968

1915 - Norman Wisdom
    comedian, actor: The Night They Raided Minsky?s

1921 - Betty Friedan (Goldstein)
    feminist author: The Feminine Mystique; founder of the National Organization for Women [NOW]

1923 - Conrad Bain
    actor: The Edge of Night, Bananas, Maude, Diff?rent Strokes, Mr. President, Postcards from the Edge

1929 - Neil Johnston
    Basketball Hall of Famer: Philadelphia Warriors center [1951-1959], coach [1960]; 4-time NBA all-star; died Sep 28, 1978

1936 - David Brenner
    comedian, talk-show host: The David Brenner Show, Nightlife

1936 - Gary Conway
    actor: Burke?s Law, Land of the Giants, I was a Teenage Frankenstein

1940 - John Schuck
    actor: McMillan and Wife, Turnabout, Roots, The Odd Couple, Holmes and Yo Yo, Holy Matrimony, Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, M*A*S*H, Brewster McCloud, **** Tracy

1941 - John Steel
    singer, musician: drummer: group: Animals: Baby Let Me Take You Home, House of the Rising Sun

1943 - Cheryl Miller
    actress: Mountain Man, Dr. Death Seeker of Souls

1944 - Florence LaRue (Gordon)
    singer: group: The Fifth Dimension: Up, Up and Away, Stoned Soul Picnic, Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In, Wedding Bell Blues, One Less Bell to Answer

1944 - Gary Smith
    hockey: goalie: NHL: Toronto Maple Leafs, Oakland Seals, Chicago Blackhawks [NHL?s Vezina Trophy: 1972], Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals

1945 - Ron Cerrudo
    golf: two-time PGA Tour winner; member of National PGA Teaching Committee; head teaching pro at Hilton Head Island School of Golf

1947 - Dan Quayle
    44th Vice President of the United States under President George Bush

1948 - Alice Cooper (Vincent Furnier)
    singer: I?m Eighteen, School?s Out, You and Me, No More Mr. Nice Guy

1948 - Ron Jessie
    football: LA Rams receiver

1949 - Michael Beck
    actor: Deadly Game, Megaforce, Xanadu, Madman, Holocaust, Robin?s Hood, Houston Knights

1952 - Lisa Eichhorn
    actress: The Vanishing, King of the Hill

1962 - Clint Black
    singer: Killin? Time; actor: Maverick

1970 - Gabrielle Anwar
    actress: Scent of a Woman, Body Snatchers, The Three Musketeers, In Pursuit of Honor, North Beach, Without Malice, Mob Dot Com

1973 - Oscar De La Hoya
    boxer: Olympic gold medalist [1992], IBF lightweight title [1995], Super Lightweight title [1996], WBC Welterweight title [1997]

Moving the Nations Freight

Local Union

Default Re: This Date in History

Interesting stuff IBTshirts. Thanks

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    American Products

On this date in:

1881 Phoenix, Ariz., was incorporated.

1887 Verdi's opera "Otello" premiered at La Scala in Milan, Italy.

1897 The Indiana House of Representatives unanimously passed a measure redefining the area of a circle and the value of pi. (The bill died in the state Senate.)

1917 Congress passed, over President Woodrow Wilson's veto, a law severely curtailing the immigration of Asians.

1917 Mexico's constitution was adopted.

1958 Gamel Abdel Nasser was nominated to become the first president of the new United Arab Republic.

1988 The Arizona House of Representatives impeached Gov. Evan Mecham, setting the stage for his conviction in the state Senate.

1988 Panamanian military leader Gen. Manuel Noriega was indicted on bribery and drug trafficking charges in Florida.

1993 Federal judge Kimba Wood, President Bill Clinton's expected choice for attorney general, withdrew from consideration, saying her baby sitter had been an illegal alien for seven years.

1994 White separatist Byron De La Beckwith was convicted in Jackson, Miss., of murdering civil rights leader Medgar Evers in 1963. He was sentenced to life in prison.

1997 U.S. Ambassador Pamela Harriman died in Paris at age 76.

1997 Investment bank Morgan Stanley announced a $10 billion merger with Dean Witter.

2001 Four disciples of Osama bin Laden went on trial in New York in the 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa.

2002 A federal grand jury indicted John Walker Lindh, the so-called "American Taliban," on 10 charges, alleging that he was trained by Osama bin Laden's network and that he conspired with the Taliban to kill Americans.

2003 Secretary of State Colin Powell urged the U.N. Security Council to move against Iraq, saying that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and was harboring terrorists - claims that later turned out to be false.

2006 Iran ended all voluntary cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency.

2006 The Pittsburgh Steelers won a record-tying fifth Super Bowl with a 21-10 win over the Seattle Seahawks.

2007 NASA astronaut Lisa Nowak was arrested in Orlando, Fla., accused of trying to kidnap a perceived rival for the affections of a space shuttle pilot.

Famous birthdays include

Hank Aaron

ZsaZsa Gabor

Adlai Stevenson

Bobby Brown

Labor Notes for Feb 5

First daily labor newspaper, “N.Y. Daily Sentinel”, begins publication - 1830

President Bill Clinton signs the Family and Medical Leave Act. The law requires most employers of 50 or more workers to grant up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for a family or medical emergency - 1993

In what turns out to be a bad business decision, Circuit City fires 3,900 experienced sales people because they’re making too much in commissions. Sales plummet. Duh. - 2003

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    "Wonderful" YRC Worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by IBTshirts View Post
    On this date in:

In what turns out to be a bad business decision, Circuit City fires 3,900 experienced sales people because they?re making too much in commissions. Sales plummet. Duh. - 2003
    I remember this vividly. I had a friend who worked there. They saw this coming and knew what was going to happen. The "duh" is a perfect editorial

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    American Products

I did not add that, however, as a salesperson I thought it was PERFECT!!! Sometimes my boss thinks they're calling him and I'm just filling orders - I guarantee you that aint the case.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    American Products

February 06
    Ironworkers from six cities meet in Pittsburgh to form the International Association of Bridge and Structural Iron Workers of America. Their pay in Pittsburgh at the time: $2.75 for a nine-hour day – 1896

Philadelphia shirtwaist makers voted to accept arbitration offer and end walkout as Triangle Shirtwaist strike winds down. One year later 146 workers, mostly young girls aged 13 to 23, were to die in a devastating fire at the New York City sweatshop - 1910

Seattle General Strike begins. The city was run by a General Strike Committee for six days as tens of thousands of union members stopped work in support of 32,000 striking longshoremen - 1919

February 6, 1919
    Shutdown in Seattle

Nineteen-nineteen looked to be a good year for the American labor movement: World War I had swelled the ranks of the nation's unions, while the Marxist revolution in Russia raised hopes of deliverance for the world's workers. On February 6, 1919, a heady display of labor's growing power concluded when a general strike was called off in Seattle, Washington. In the days before the war, a strong alliance of craft unions enabled Seattle's 35,000 dockworkers to gain some of the highest wages in the nation. With the outbreak of war, the government placed constraints on the shipyard worker's wages, in hopes of rolling their earnings back in line with the rest of the country. In January, the dockworkers retaliated by walking off the job, and on February 1, 25,000 of Seattle's other workers joined the dockworkers on the picket line. The five-day strike effectively shut down Seattle: factories, shops and the waterfront all sat dormant, waiting for a resolution to the dispute. A General Strike Committee swiftly stepped in and established temporary systems for feeding and protecting Seattle?s citizens. Although the strike was peaceful, and the Committee judged that people were rapidly "learning to manage" the city's daily operations, local government and business chiefs threatened action against the country's unions. Feeling the fire of a potential legal or political nightmare, national labor leaders stepped in and urged Seattle's workers to end their strike. Seattle's strikers had not yet gained ground on their wage demands, but they heeded the call and headed back to work, releasing the city from their grip on this day in 1919.

February 6th in History

1778: France recognizes US, signs treaty of aid in Paris (First US treaty). England immediately declares war on France.

1788: Massachusetts becomes the sixth of the United States.

1899: Treaty of Paris is ratified by the U.S. Senate by one vote, ending the Spanish-American War

1958: A plane carrying the Manchester United football team crashed at Munich airport, killing 7 of the team

1959: Indira Ghandi becomes the leader of India's Congress Party

1991: Debris from the Soviet space station 'Salyut 7' fall into the Atlantic as it breaks up

February 6th birthdays

1911: Ronald Reagan, Former actor, UNION BUSTER and US (40th) President

1919: Zsa Zsa Gabor, American actress (how many birthdays does she have?)

1922: Patrick McNee, British actor.

1932: Francois Truffaut, French director

1945: Bob Marley, Jamaican singer.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    American Products

February 7

1812 Author Charles D*ckens was born in Portsmouth, England.

1944 Germany launched a counteroffensive at Anzio, Italy, during World War II.

1948 Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower resigned as Army chief of staff and was succeeded by Gen. Omar Bradley.

1964 The Beatles arrived in New York for their first American tour, touching off rock 'n' roll's "British invasion."

1974 The island nation of Grenada won independence from Britain.

1986 Haitian President-for-Life Jean-Claude Duvalier fled his country, ending 28 years of family rule.

1990 The Soviet Union's Communist Party gave up its monopoly on power by agreeing to let other political parties compete for control of the country.

1991 The Rev. Jean-Bertrand Aristide was sworn in as Haiti's first democratically elected president.

1995 Ramzi Yousef, the alleged mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, was arrested in Islamabad, Pakistan.

1999 Jordan's King Hussein died of cancer at age 63.

2005 Defrocked priest Paul Shanley, the most notorious figure in the sex scandal that rocked the Boston Archdiocese, was convicted of repeatedly raping and fondling a boy at his church during the 1980s. (Shanley was sentenced to 12 to 15 years in prison.)

If you were born on this day you share a birthday with Chris Rock (comedian 43), James Spader (actor 48) and Ashton Kutcher (30, Demi Moore's boy toy)

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    American Products

Feb 8

1587 Mary, Queen of Scots, was beheaded at Fotheringhay Castle in England after she was implicated in a plot to murder her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.

1693 A charter was granted for the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va.

1837 The Senate selected Richard Mentor Johnson as vice president after no candidate received a majority of electoral votes.

1904 The Russo-Japanese War began.

1910 The Boy Scouts of America was incorporated.

1915 D.W. Griffith's silent movie epic about the Civil War, "The Birth of a Nation," premiered in Los Angeles.

1922 President Warren G. Harding had a radio installed in the White House.

1924 The first execution by gas in the United State took place at the Nevada State Prison in Carson City.

1968 Three college students died in a confrontation with highway patrolmen in Orangeburg, S.C., during a civil rights protest against a whites-only bowling alley.

1978 Senate deliberations were broadcast on radio for the first time as members opened debate on the Panama Canal treaties.

1980 President Jimmy Carter unveiled a plan to re-introduce draft registration.

1993 General Motors sued NBC, alleging that the program "Dateline NBC" had rigged two crashes to show that GM pickups were prone to fires. NBC settled the lawsuit the following day.

1999 The Senate heard closing arguments in President Bill Clinton's impeachment trial.

2004 Beyonce won five Grammy Awards, tying the record for female performers held by Lauryn Hill, Alicia Keyes and Norah Jones.

2005 Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas announced a cease-fire at a summit in Egypt.

2007 Model and tabloid sensation Anna Nicole Smith died at age 39 of an accidental drug overdose.

Notable birthdays include Ted Koppel 68, Nick Nolte 67, John Grisham 53, Gary Coleman 40 and Alonzo Mourning 38. Anna Nicole's implants would have turned 18 today.

Moving the Nations Freight

Local Union

Nice job with this IBTshirts. I love trivial information like this

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    American Products

Thank you FT. I was beginning to wonder if anyone is reading

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)