Oh this is so true! Even where I live, a very small town, we have many high income households here. Business owners and Sandia Lab employees that hire housekeepers. Why do you think when husband got laid off, I jumped on the house cleaning band wagon? The only other opportunities in this town are Walmart and now they hire only temps.

In America, many people still think of household servants as something belonging to a distant age, a time less equal and democratic than our own, like the Britain of Downton Abbey. But as we’ve entered a second Gilded Age, the clock seems to be turning back, and the super-rich are increasingly relying on servants to feed, clothe and make them comfy. The economic "recovery" is not producing nearly enough jobs, but the servant sector is certainly growing.
I disagree with the last sentence in this paragraph. Some of us enjoy taking care of our household and families. We like having a clean house, dinner cooked and on the table each night. I personally do not like slaving away all day cleaning someone elses house (it is very hard work because you don't just walk around with a feather duster in one hand and vacuum in the other) and then have to come home and clean mine!

The servant class has been growing over the last few decades for several reasons. For the middle class, the post-war program of husband working and wife staying home to vacuum and whatnot was the common, if not especially agreeable arrangement (as Betty Friedan memorably described in The Feminine Mystique). This was a departure from earlier times, when even lower-middle-class households often employed servants. In effect, technology and better job prospects for would-be domestic workers turned wives and mothers into unpaid employees responsible for all domestic duties.

But as women began to work more outside the home, and the hours worked for individual employees, particularly in the U.S., grew longer, households were thrown into chaos. Beds, after all, do not magically make themselves. The housework had to be done, and even when men pitched in, the truth is that both husband and wife were often working too hard and too long to properly attend to domestic chores. Despite a slight stigma in America linked to hiring domestic staff in the post-war period, part-time cleaners and nannies became the only way to restore sanity for many.
America's New Servant Class | Alternet