• 2 Post By fxstc07
  • 2 Post By fxstc07

Thread: Energy costs !

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Energy costs !

We have heard from a few sources that energy costs will go up as a result of the closing of some coal fired power plants.
    Those same pundits also exclaim that energy sources to replace those coal plants have not been proven.
    I think that's wrong, and those with the foresight, financial means and intelligence are betting the naysayers are wrong too.

Warren Buffett’s $26 billion bet on western U.S. power plants, transmission lines and wind farms is poised to pay off.

The energy unit of Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK/B), with the help of California’s grid operator, is moving to unite the holdings under a single market capable of dispatching power across seven states every five minutes. The system, designed to handle sudden swings in supply and demand, would revolutionize the markets from Oregon to Nevada, where 38 transmission operators manually balance their territories on an hourly basis.
    The move would be a game-changer for the renewables that Berkshire Hathaway Energy Co. has accumulated over the past decade, including two of the world’s largest solar farms, and for other clean-power producers, according to those who trade in the region’s markets. Berkshire’s plants stand to run for longer periods of time, and its NV Energy Inc. and PacifiCorp utilities will save as much as $63.9 million annually by 2017, Energy and Environmental Economics Inc. reports show.
    Analyses prepared by San Francisco-based Energy and Environmental Economics show the real-time market would save the California ISO area as much as $74.3 million, PacifiCorp $54.4 million and NV $9.5 million in the year 2017.
    The company is spending $5.2 billion to build the world’s two largest solar farms in California.
    Less pollution and saving money.
    Sounds good to me.

Buffett

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Energy costs !

Mr. Buffett of Berkshire Hathaway, continues to speak about investing in solar and wind energy.
    If this entrepreneur thinks the future is solar and wind, then I suspect the billions he is willing to invest is money well spent.
    Never depend on what was ... the future awaits all of us.

Describing the company's increasing investment in renewable energy at the Edison Electric Institute's annual convention in Las Vegas yesterday, Buffett had to rely on a deputy, Greg Abel, to remind him just how much they'd committed: $15 billion.
    Without missing a beat, Buffett responded: "There's another $15 billion ready to go, as far as I'm concerned."
    "Buffett has always steered Berkshire toward the future," said Lawrence Cunningham, a professor at George Washington University and author of the forthcoming book "Berkshire Beyond Buffett." "Lately, that has meant intensifying the company's focus on rudimentary, long-lasting businesses."
    Long lasting businesses.
    That means the future of solar and wind is looking good.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffet...040007991.html
    222lifer likes this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

I was out meandering around southern New Jersey's roads on Sunday and came across this place. I couldn't believe how large it was and the fact I never knew it existed. It's buried deep into the back woods on a local seldom used road.

In October of 2011, Panda Power Funds and New York ConEdison Development completed construction on a 20-MW photovoltaic (PV) solar farm located in Pilesgrove Township, NJ. The Pilesgrove project is one of the largest solar farms in the northeast United States.
    This sits on 134 acres with 77000 solar panels.

Pilesgrove Solar Farm Project Located in New Jersey | Panda Power Funds

BTW, the name "Panda" does not mean chinese. It is an American owned and operated company headquartered in Dallas Texas.
    Last edited by fxstc07; 09-16-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    ABFwife and 222lifer like this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

The power company that supplies much of NM (not us though) with power has been expanding their solar facilities. Pretty impressive IMO and we are surely in a perfect area of the country. That picture you posted is very impressive also, the way they tucked that right in there.

PNM

https://www.google.com/search?q=pics...r1%3B700%3B300

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Retired
    Employer
    Retired

Very cool,at first glance it looked like a Lake or Pond from above...

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by capmac48 View Post
    Very cool,at first glance it looked like a Lake or Pond from above...
    As you can tell this part of southern Jersey is woods and farm land.
    You would be surprised how much the southern part of this state has going for it.
    I can ride and put over a hundred miles on my bike in this part of my little world, while all I see are farms and forest.
    One thing is for sure ... it's a hell of a lot better then a smoke and pollution belching coal fired power plant.
    ABFwife and capmac48 like this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Now the republicans want to do an end run around EPA rules on coal plants and reduce funding to the EPA.
    Less enforcement = more pollution ... but for some it equals more profits.

House Republicans proposed a spending bill Tuesday that cuts the budget at the Environmental Protection Agency by 9 percent and tries to prevent the Obama administration from enacting several regulations.
    At the top of their regulatory hit list is a proposed rule on cutting carbon dioxide emissions from coal plants.

The bill made public Tuesday by the House Appropriations Committee would reduce the EPA workforce to 15,000 people, the same level as in 1989. The agency had more than 17,300 employees five years ago and has gradually lost employees since.

The bill covers the Interior Department, the Smithsonian and other agencies, and it calls for spending $30.2 billion. That's $246 million below last year's levels and $3 billion below President Barack Obama's request.

Another key regulation Republicans seek to squelch involves the EPA's efforts to better protect small streams and tributaries. The GOP has heard from constituents and industry groups that the additional regulation would make it harder for businesses and farmers to operate.
    Dirty air and dirty water ... but the politicians wealthy friends will make more profits and that's all that matters to the wealthy elitists.
    House Republicans would cut EPA spending 9 percent

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM