I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Retired
    Employer
    Retired

Default Tracy Morgan sues Wamart

We all knew it was coming..

Tracy Morgan sues Wal-Mart for crash that killed 1

The lawsuit, filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in New Jersey, claims Wal-Mart was negligent when a driver of one of its tractor-trailers rammed into Morgan's limousine van. The complaint claims the retail giant should have known the driver had been awake for over 24 hours, and that his commute of 700 miles from his home in Georgia to work in Delaware was "unreasonable." It also alleges the driver fell asleep at the wheel.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Default Re: Tracy Morgan sues Wamart

I believe that everyone who was affected by this, aor any, accident should be appropriately compensated for their losses. And I'm not blaming Morgan for all the press he is getting because if he had done something negative it would also make the headlines............... I think the state is going to have a very hard time proving the criminal charges............Walmart has very deep pockets and if Morgan's lawyers don't settle along with everyone else then this could go on for many years.

Truck driver Kevin Roper, 35, of Jonesboro, Georgia, has pleaded not guilty to death by auto and assault by auto charges. A criminal complaint also accuses him of not sleeping for more than 24 hours before the crash, a violation of New Jersey law.

A report by federal transportation safety investigators said Roper was driving 65 mph in the 60 seconds before he slammed into the limo van. The speed limit on that stretch of the turnpike is 55 mph and was lowered to 45 mph that night because of construction
    If the driver was doing 65 in the construction zone then he was at fault for speeding among other thing. But in fairness to the driver hardly anyone does 45 on that stretch of the turnpike. I don't know if construction was going on at that time. But any one who has ever driven on the NJTP knows the normal flow in that area is 65-80 unless it's backed up due to congestion. Rush hour volume or someone actually doing the posted 45 MPH speed limit usually is the cause of that congestion.
    crazy and fxstc07 like this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Retired
    Employer
    Retired

I believe there was an article that stated construction on a sign was going on,your right Walmart will settle this out of court quickly and with as little press as possible,of course as always in these lawsuits those famous words "Walmart has reached a settlement but does not admit to any wrong doing", probably won't involve the driver but who knows?.

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by capmac48 View Post
    We all knew it was coming..

Tracy Morgan sues Wal-Mart for crash that killed 1

The lawsuit, filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in New Jersey, claims Wal-Mart was negligent when a driver of one of its tractor-trailers rammed into Morgan's limousine van. The complaint claims the retail giant should have known the driver had been awake for over 24 hours, and that his commute of 700 miles from his home in Georgia to work in Delaware was "unreasonable." It also alleges the driver fell asleep at the wheel.
    IMO this lawsuit is justified, how can Walmart have a driver who lives in GA be domiciled out of a DC in Delaware for godsakes and expect the employee to have that kind of commute? Are they going to claim as one of the biggest employers in the country that there are no DC's within a respectable commute distance for this driver around the Atlanta area for example?
    capmac48 likes this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

How can Walmart legally dictate where an employee lives?
    crazy likes this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

There are still too many unanswered questions in this case..What happened to innocent until proven guilty??

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by 2631 View Post
    I don't know that they can legally dictate but they can refuse to recruit from so far away. I know when husband was an over the road driver, being he lives in NM did keep him from may jobs as they would not hire from that far away.

Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by 2631 View Post
    That wasn't my point, my point was can't Walmart have enough common sense to domicile this driver out of a DC much closer to his home?

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Retired
    Employer
    Retired

I've mentioned before we had several drivers from the Redding,Ca terminal quit and go to work for Walmart in Porterville,Ca that's a distance of 400 miles,now I know it's not a go to work everyday job,believe they stay out for a week then get several days off,with the shortage of quality,qualified drivers the recruiting area is expanding or being ignored all together.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    That wasn't my point, my point was can't Walmart have enough common sense to domicile this driver out of a DC much closer to his home?
    I don't know if it is by choice or job opportunity that a driver from Georgia is domiciled in Delaware. But if the driver chose that DC I can't see how Walmart could deny that job opportunity......I probably shouldn't go here but there may be equal opportunity issues involved due to race..... I'm no Walmart apologist but my bet would be that it has all it's bases covered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-30-2014, 09:34 AM
  2. 07-12-2014, 10:20 AM