Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ireland and history

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Ireland and history

I should have posted this yesterday, but today is the day.

The Easter Rising: when Ireland went to war
    On 24 April 1916 the United Kingdom faced its greatest internal threat in 100 years. On a sleepy Easter bank holiday Monday, around 1,500 armed Irish nationalist rebels, allied with Germany, seized control of Dublin, then a major city of the UK, and held the centre for six days. Their leaders’ aspiration was to found an independent all-Ireland Republic – freed from the yoke of British rule – and they saw the use of violence as a legitimate, indeed romantic, means of doing so. For rebel ideologue Patrick Pearse: “The old heart of the earth needed to be warmed by the red wine of the battlefield.” The reality proved rather less bucolic: local police and soldiers were shot and killed without warning when the uprising began.
    https://www.historyextra.com/period/...h-rule-dublin/
    ABFwife and Sayheykid like this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

For us Irish folks and those that love the sounds and music from Ireland.
    This article has video's of several musical groups and the favorite songs of Ireland.

Which classic folk song deserves to be called Ireland's favourite?
    THE SEARCH IS on to find Ireland’s favourite folk song after people voted for the tune they think is the country’s best.
    A new series set to air on RTÉ this weekend, and hosted by songstress Mary Black – Ireland’s Favourite Folk Song – will showcase the songs that the nation voted for
    One of the many ...

https://www.thejournal.ie/irelands-f...08180-Apr2019/

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

I don't know if many read this thread or not. I hope some read this story.
    Like the writer of this story, Ireland seems to draw people into it's beauty, it's ever changing weather and the story's that flow from those emerald shores.

A friends final wish in Ireland
    When a young filmmaker dies, 24 friends and family members journey to the Emerald Isle to retrace her steps and fulfil her dying wish. At the cliffs, the panorama astounded. When I looked one way, gilded light surged from the sky. From the opposite direction, a looming shroud of grey unspooled. Soon rain pelted our shoulders and sides, followed by a rainbow. Phillip, a local artist, tipped up his chin. “The beauty of this weather is its changeability.”
    The next day, in the same location, 24 of us would bear witness as our friend Gary fulfilled his beloved’s final wish: to scatter her ashes in the sea.
    BBC - Travel - A friend
    ABFwife, 222lifer and wizard like this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    I don't know if many read this thread or not. I hope some read this story.
    Like the writer of this story, Ireland seems to draw people into it's beauty, it's ever changing weather and the story's that flow from those emerald shores.

A friends final wish in Ireland

BBC - Travel - A friend
    I always read this thread and that was a sad but beautiful story.
    fxstc07 and wizard like this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Just wanted to post this video of an Irish folk song to stir thoughts of the enchanted Isle.

ABFwife and wizard like this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Just wanted to post this video of an Irish folk song to stir thoughts of the enchanted Isle.

I love it!!

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Did not know this existed ! The internet is great. It allows you the ability to find places and things that you might never know about.
    Check it out.

Moving origins of the giant Celtic cross shape in a Donegal forest
    Like the crop circles spotted in farmers’ fields the massive Celtic cross shape spotted by passengers flying over Donegal set the internet abuzz this week – from the US to Australia the image went viral, back in 2016. While this amazing creation has some amazing origins it certainly wasn’t UFOs or an otherworldly act, as you might think.
    The cross is now known as the Emmery Celtic Cross, named after its creator. Forester Liam Emmery (51), planted this amazing Celtic cross design nearly 11 years ago in the woods near Killea, in Donegal. Emmery used two different types of trees create the effect, which must have taken amazing planning skills.
    Check out the video.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/h...l-forest-video
    ABFwife, 222lifer and fedexnuno like this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

I thought this might be interesting to some folks. The price is cheap for what is included, but the genealogy thing is to little for any real information. But the writer of the story did find relatives. My wife said ... "let's go !"

We Tried It: Tracing My Irish Ancestry with a Genealogy Expert
    Discovering your family history through DNA testing services like 23 and Me and Ancestry DNA has become increasingly popular, but it only gives you so much information. When I wanted to take my research a step further, I came across a trip that’s designed to bring you face to face with your personal heritage. Ireland’s Aer Lingus airline has created a genealogy-based travel experience called “Discover Your Roots” that allows visitors to trace their roots right down to the exact region and city their Irish ancestors came from.

“The package was created in response to the growing DNA tourism trend in the U.S., where Americans are increasingly booking trips to explore the countries where their families came from,” says Bill Byrne, Aer Lingus Director of Global Sales and VP of North America. “With millions of Americans identifying as Irish, we wanted to make it easy for them to access their homeland and since we fly from fourteen North American gateways direct to Ireland, it just made sense.”
    Prices start at $999 for a six-day experience. The package includes roundtrip economy airfare to Dublin, two nights in a Dublin hotel, a 90-minute private consultation with a genealogy expert at the Irish Family History Centre, admission to EPIC the Irish Emigration Museum and the Irish Family History Centre, a four-night car rental and four nights in your choice of B&Bs throughout Ireland.
    https://people.com/travel/tracing-ir...y-expert-tips/
    ABFwife and 222lifer like this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I thought this might be interesting to some folks. The price is cheap for what is included, but the genealogy thing is to little for any real information. But the writer of the story did find relatives. My wife said ... "let's go !"

We Tried It: Tracing My Irish Ancestry with a Genealogy Expert

https://people.com/travel/tracing-ir...y-expert-tips/
    I would love to do this!!

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

This is something nice to read for a few of us here about ancestral homeland.

Ireland ranks among the best countries in the world for quality of life, according to UN report
    IRELAND HAS ranked among the top countries in the world for quality of life, beating out popular countries for Irish immigration such as Australia and Canada.
    A new United Nations report on human development has placed Ireland in third place in a list of countries with excellent qualities of life, missing out on the top spot to Norway (1st) and Switzerland (2nd).
    The report studied a total of 189 countries across the globe, basing the rankings on the average education, income, life expectancy and the Human Development Index value (HDI) of each nation's citizens.
    The index cited Ireland's excellent Human Development Index, ranked at 0.942, as well as the long life expectancy for citizens from birth-- an estimated 82 years.
    Irish citizens spend an average of 12 years in full-time education, making us one of the highly educated countries in the world, and the average national income is estimated to be over €55,500 per capita.
    The link will take you to the complete list.
    The U.S ranks 15th.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/irela...-report-175092
    ABFwife likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast