Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Swollen NC rivers swamp dumps, raising water pollution fears

So I keep hearing about these hog farm waste dumps and the threat of contamination from the storm breaching these pits. This is just really nasty. Something I am sure most of us don't think about. I think we really need to figure out new ways of dealing with waste. When disaster hits, look what happens. I think we tend to be concerned about nuclear waste but I will admit, I never thought about where the waste goes from large animal farms! I guess the other big concern is where are those animals shown in the photo of this article? Are they still in there drowned? Another source of contamination. Hoping all will be ok where this potential problem is looming.

As rain from Florence continued to lash the Carolinas, the region’s swollen rivers were beginning to swamp coal ash dumps and low-lying hog farms Sunday, raising pollution concerns.

Duke Energy said the collapse of a coal ash landfill at the L.V. Sutton Power Station near Wilmington, North Carolina, is an “on-going situation,” with an unknown amount of potentially contaminated stormwater flowing into a nearby lake. At a different power plant near Goldsboro, three old coal ash dumps capped with soil were inundated by the Neuse River.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over eastern North Carolina on Sunday saw several flooded hog farms along the Trent River. It wasn’t immediately clear if any animals remained inside the long metal buildings ringed by dark water.

Such farms typically have large pits filled with hog urine and feces that can cause significant water contamination if breached or overtopped by floodwaters. State environmental regulators said Sunday they had not yet received any reports of spills.
    https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...llution-fears/

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Swollen NC rivers swamp dumps, raising water pollution fears

Just came across this article and it is not sounding good.

Flooding from Florence sets records, raises environmental concerns
    Even as skies began to clear over North Carolina on Tuesday, concern about environmental damage mounted after days of pounding rain left two dozen hog farms seeping waste, 3.4 million dead chickens and turkeys, widespread mandates to boil drinking water, and workers trying to prevent coal ash waste from leaking out of a landfill.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, D, said Tuesday that the state had confirmed 26 deaths linked to the storm, pushing the toll to 33 lives lost in the Carolinas and Virginia. Florence had effectively washed out normal contours of life across North Carolina, with Cooper saying that more than 1,100 roads were closed Tuesday and more than 340,000 people lacked power. And, Cooper warned, “we will see more flooding.”

The state’s vast hog farms and their waste lagoons - which one environmentalist called “cesspools the size of football fields” — pose one of the greatest perils. As of noon Tuesday, the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality said it had received reports of floodwaters inundating or overtopping lagoons at 22 locations, leaving trails of floating excrement. Four other lagoons suffered structural damage from floodwaters, the agency said. Fifty-five were at or near their capacity.
    Flooding from Florence sets records, raises environmental concerns | News | santafenewmexican.com