Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default 49 years ago this happened

I thought a while before posting this. I don't condone violence, nor do I advocate for it, no matter the circumstances.
    This story was a tragedy and it devastated a few family's. This was a blight on unionism and the Teamsters.
    Click the link for the aerial pictures.

49 years ago today, a sniper blew up a semi hauling 20 tons of dynamite, killing the driver
    Today marks the 49 year anniversary of one of the most explosive moments in trucking history.
    The incident occurred on September 30, 1970, on I-44 near Springfield, Missouri, according to reporting from the New York Times.
    Two weeks prior to the incident, Teamsters Local 823 had gone on strike against Joplin, Missouri-based trucking company Tri‐State Motors, Inc.
    Tri-State Motors continued to operate in spite of the strike.
    On September 30, 48 year old truck driver John Galt was operating a truck leased to Tri-State Motors, hauling a load of more than 20 tons of dynamite along I-44 en route to a mining area in southeastern Missouri.
    Shots were fired on Galtís truck, triggering a massive explosion that shattered windows 12 miles away in Springfield, Missouri. A crater that was 50 feet wide and 30 feet deep was left on I-44.
    Two Tri-State company drivers and Teamster members, Bobby Lee Shuler and Gerald Lee Bowden, both 29 at the time, were charged with second-degree murder. Bowdenís wife, Sharon Lynn Bowden, was also charged with second-degree murder, though it isnít clear whether she was ever convicted.
    https://cdllife.com/2019/49-years-ag...ng-the-driver/

2. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Default Re: 49 years ago this happened

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    I thought a while before posting this. I don't condone violence, nor do I advocate for it, no matter the circumstances.
    This story was a tragedy and it devastated a few family's. This was a blight on unionism and the Teamsters.
    Click the link for the aerial pictures.

49 years ago today, a sniper blew up a semi hauling 20 tons of dynamite, killing the driver

https://cdllife.com/2019/49-years-ag...ng-the-driver/
    I agree with everything in your post. I hate to see a strike especially one force by the company. And I don't condone violence. But I would also hate to see scabs crossing the picket line taken the work from union members.

Having said that it must have taken a lot of guts or stupidity back in the 70s to cross the line pulling a load with 20 tons of dynamite. Teamsters were strong back then and known to be violent on occasion.

4. Likes fxstc07 Liked this post