Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default How a 15-Hour Workweek Could Change Our Lives for the Better

15 hours a week seems a little extreme to me. My very first job I worked in a factory and we worked 4 days a week but also worked ten hours a day to get our same pay. I do think Americans work way too hard and not because we are all a bunch of workaholics but because we have no choice. Lets throw driving a truck into the mix. Not much choice there. As husband and I get older, I feel all he has done is work since he went to ABF and we have had little time to enjoy life. The trade off is good pay and hopefully a good pension. Now I just hope we both live long enough to enjoy it!

I work nearly three times that much now. Is this normal?

Sadly, yes. The Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development shows that American workers put in an average of 1,786 hours annually, 200 more hours than their British and French peers. Yet study after study reveals that working more hours doesn’t increase productivity—just stress, health issues and carbon emissions.

How much less should I be working?

An often-cited 2016 study found that workers performed best when they were clocking in just three days a week, five hours a day. Advocates of a 15-hour workweek, such as Dutch author Rutger Bregman, argue that much of the work we do now is pointless at best and harmful at worst, so we should do much less of it. Major trade unions in Germany, the Netherlands, Ireland and the U.K. have all backed a four-day workweek, and the British Labour Party’s shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, has promised to reduce the average workweek to 32 hours within the next decade, proclaiming, “We should work to live, not live to work.” Microsoft Japan experimented with a shorter workweek and trumpeted that it actually boosted productivity and cut down on time-wasting.
    How a 15-Hour Workweek Could Change Our Lives for the Better - In These Times
    Last edited by ABFwife; 02-02-2020 at 09:19 AM.

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Default Re: How a 15-Hour Workweek Could Change Our Lives for the Better

They're gonna have to cut hours and jobs when automation takes over. But how will anybody afford to buy what the robots create?

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by slavenomore View Post
    They're gonna have to cut hours and jobs when automation takes over. But how will anybody afford to buy what the robots create?
    Totally agree on that Slave! It will be a country of poor people except for those at the top.

Steward

Local Union
    Employer
    Nature's Best

Basically it’s gonna be like the early 1900 again...where the Rich eats like the Kings and the Poor just watched the Rich through a Window!
    It is Sad that this is coming to be!

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired; OHFL

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    Totally agree on that Slave! It will be a country of poor people except for those at the top.
    All ready happening.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

A Few Companies Are Experimenting with Four-Day Workweeks. One State Lawmaker Wants to Follow

I think this is much more realistic.
    Five-day workweeks have been the norm for most employees since the early 20th century, when car manufacturer Henry Ford popularized the schedule for his assembly line workers. But in the past few years, many have begun to question the necessity of the 40-hour work standard from Monday through Friday. Some studies have shown that productivity improves when workers reduce their hours, even prompting Finland’s new prime minister to suggest a 32-hour week.

A bill introduced this month in Washington state aims to follow that lead. Sponsored by state Sen. Joe Nguyen, a Democrat from Seattle, the legislation would make a 32-hour workweek the norm, and require employers to pay time-and-a-half for any hours worked over that threshold. The bill makes exceptions for seasonal employees, such as those at fairs, along with motion picture projectionists, truck and bus drivers, and farm workers, among others.
    "This is a good thing to help workers either reduce mental anguish, stress or give them opportunities to be more free with their time as well and still be just as productive if not more productive," Nguyen said.

Nguyen, who is also a manager for Microsoft, may have gotten the idea from a source close to home. Microsoft recently tested a four-day workweek in Japan by giving all their workers Fridays off. “Work a short time, rest well and learn a lot,” Microsoft Japan CEO Takuya Hirano said in a statement. “I want employees to think about and experience how they can achieve the same results with 20% less working time.”
    https://www.routefifty.com/managemen...k-bill/162794/