Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default The best of New Mexico !

I read this great piece about the beauty of New Mexico.
    There is a reason they call it "The Land of Enchantment". One day I would like to explore more of the hidden gems this state offers.
    What I saw years ago was though the windshield of a truck. Beauty lay in the back roads, the hidden small towns, the history.
    This story is about an impressive bridge near Taos.

The Tallest, Most Impressive Bridge In New Mexico Can Be Found Near The Town Of Taos
    Just when you think the Land of Enchantment couldn’t get any more, well, enchanting, something quickly reminds you of New Mexico’s beautiful and fascinating appeal. Food, natural features, historic landmarks, and superb architecture all prompt us to think of the state’s allure.
    One such location? The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, a beautifully engineered landmark that also just happens to be the highest in the state.
    As its name suggests, the bridge spans the stunning Rio Grande Gorge, which is about a 15 to 20-minute drive from Taos.
    The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge stretches 1,280 feet in length and is part of U.S. Highway 64.
    The year following its construction and dedication, it was nominated for and won an award in the American Institute of Steel Construction's annual Prize Bridge competition. The jury also noted its beauty, saying it has “well-balanced symmetry” and “fits into the gorge in an aesthetic and pleasing manner.”
    New Mexico is home to 46 national historic landmarks and each is fascinating in their own way. Read about some of our favorites in 11 Historical Landmarks You Absolutely Must Visit In New Mexico and let us know which is your top pick!
    My wanderlust is kicking in. Another destination has been added to my bucket list.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...t-bridge-taos/

2. Thanks ABFwife thanked for this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: The best of New Mexico !

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    I read this great piece about the beauty of New Mexico.
    There is a reason they call it "The Land of Enchantment". One day I would like to explore more of the hidden gems this state offers.
    What I saw years ago was though the windshield of a truck. Beauty lay in the back roads, the hidden small towns, the history.
    This story is about an impressive bridge near Taos.

The Tallest, Most Impressive Bridge In New Mexico Can Be Found Near The Town Of Taos

My wanderlust is kicking in. Another destination has been added to my bucket list.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...t-bridge-taos/
    I am certainly biased because I live here but I have been to several states out west and many are beautiful but not in the same way as New Mexico. There is a feeling here, a spirit here, a charm here and it grabbed my soul the first time I visited back in 1991. Despite our poverty and other problems, I find this state to have an affect on so many people as it did me. It casts it's spell on you and you are forever hooked. Thank you for the post!

4. Likes Jimmy Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

This is another article from "Only in your state". This lists the scenic by-ways many of us love to wander. Those magical two lane back roads that show the real America, not the 4 lane interstate version.
    Seems New Mexico has quite a few roads that qualify as scenic by-ways. Here are 9 of them.
    Several by-ways have over a hundred of miles of road and adventure, including the famous Route 66. The list even includes the "Chain of Craters Backcountry Byway", a 33 mile unpaved back country road, accessible with a good 4 x 4, when it's dry !

These 9 Beautiful Byways In New Mexico Are Perfect For A Scenic Drive
    As the fifth largest state in the country, New Mexico covers 121,590 square miles. You could combine the nine smallest states in the nation and New Mexico would still be bigger! There’s a lot of land to explore here and the best way to see it is by car. We hope that these 9 scenic drives will inspire you to load up your vehicle and hit the road this summer.
    Read the list here: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...road-trips-nm/

6. Thanks ABFwife thanked for this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    This is another article from "Only in your state". This lists the scenic by-ways many of us love to wander. Those magical two lane back roads that show the real America, not the 4 lane interstate version.
    Seems New Mexico has quite a few roads that qualify as scenic by-ways. Here are 9 of them.
    Several by-ways have over a hundred of miles of road and adventure, including the famous Route 66. The list even includes the "Chain of Craters Backcountry Byway", a 33 mile unpaved back country road, accessible with a good 4 x 4, when it's dry !

These 9 Beautiful Byways In New Mexico Are Perfect For A Scenic Drive

Read the list here: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...road-trips-nm/
    I can testify that the High Road To Taos, Enchanted Circle, and Jemez Trail are all gorgeous! We go to the Jemez Mountains mutiple times each summer.

For those who may be interested here are some great links.

https://www.newmexico.org/plan/?utm_...SAAEgJuBPD_BwE

There is also a FB page called Visit New Mexico

If you are into camping, the link to New Mexico State Parks however they are all close due to the virus as of now:

New Mexico State Parks

There is also a FB page for New Mexico state parks.

8. Likes Jimmy, fxstc07, 222lifer Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

On the subject of New Mexico, we watched a wonderful movie last night that we had not watched in years. It truly captures the essence of New Mexico. I was still a Californian when my parents had moved here and my mother told me I had to watch it because it captures New Mexico. Once I moved here I totally agreed. Now I do not live in a small Hispanic village such as the one in this movie but my daughter did until a few days ago. My town is much more a farmer/cowboy town but we are surrounded by such villages. It is a Robert Redford movie and he is brilliant IMO. Anyway, to just enjoy beauty and a happy laid back movie, you have to watch it. And by the way, I absolutely love the little old man in this movie!!

The Milagro Beanfield War

A little clip:

10. Likes fxstc07, 222lifer Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

On this cold Memorial Day morning, husband and I are watching this show from 2017 on our local Fox channel. For those curious about New Mexico and why I go on about it, this is a great episode about the Native American Culture in my state and the beauty too! Understand many of these tribes are suffering greatly from the Covid Virus.

https://www.krqe.com/fox-new-mexico/...itage-culture/

12. Likes fxstc07 Liked this post