• 2 Post By Jimmy
  • 1 Post By crazy

Thread: Coronavirus renders nearly 9% of container shipping fleets inactive

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Coronavirus renders nearly 9% of container shipping fleets inactive

Yes, I could put this in the Coronavirus thread but this is a freight story. And this is no joke. Husband keeps getting very delayed in CA because there is no freight coming back this way and rumor had it, it was because of this.

The COVID-19 outbreak and resulting quarantines have led to a record number of blank sailings, according to the latest figures from Alphaliner. Inactive fleet size has swelled to 2.04 million TEUs or 8.8% of global capacity. The decline is greater than the 1.52 million TEUs of canceled capacity during the 2009 financial crisis, the previous record, 11.7% of the total fleet at the time.

The Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are facing 56 canceled sailings over the first three months of the year, the ports told Supply Chain Dive. The Port of Oakland is expecting 23 blank sailings for February through March, a spokesperson said.

"Some production has shifted to other countries and in Southeast Asia — Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia," Phillip Sanfield, the director of media relations for the Port of Los Angeles told Supply Chain Dive in an interview. "Unfortunately, for every container that is coming out of there we're losing two and a half from China so that it's not an equal trade-off but there is some boost," from other regions. The shift started as a result of the trade war before COVID-19, an illness in the coronavirus family.
    https://www.supplychaindive.com/news...active/573200/
    Jimmy, 2631, fxstc07 and 2 others like this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Coronavirus renders nearly 9% of container shipping fleets inactive

This is a couple of weeks old so I am sure things are worse since this printing.

Trucking Prepares as First Effects of Coronavirus Hit Port Trucking Hardest

The fears associated with the current global spread of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, have seeped into almost every industry – air travel and tourism, manufacturing, and now the trucking industry as well. While contamination is the first of the fears to come to mind for many, the virus and the fears of the virus create larger effects on the commercial trucking industry.

The first to feel the effects of the virus have been companies that work in and around the ports.

Sheri Call, executive vice president, Washington Trucking Association, told HDT that her state – which is among the states with the largest number of infected patients – is already feeling the effects of the virus. “I’ve heard from several of our members that so far this year, the Port of Seattle is down by about 50 sailings,” she says. “That’s the kind of decline we’d normally see over the course of an entire year.”

At the moment, Call said, warehouses in Washington state are “stuffed to the gills” with imported merchandise – mainly due to companies "pulling ahead" orders before the tariffs implemented against China by President Trump last year. “So they’re not feeling the pinch from the virus yet,” she said. “However, because our sailings are down, our trucking members are struggling right now, because there is less freight coming in or out of the port. So they report they are reducing capacity and laying off independent owner-operators at the rate of about one per day to deal with changing circumstances. So we are already seeing some impact from the Coronavirus. But it’s too soon for us to accurately gauge how severe this outbreak will eventually be.”
    https://www.truckinginfo.com/352454/...rus-impact-the

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

America's 1.8 million truck drivers can't work from home and often lack health insurance — and that may stymie the fight against coronavirus
    Companies across the US are requiring their employees to work from home as a response to the novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 123,000 people and killed more than 4,500.

But one of America's largest and most vulnerable groups of workers — truck drivers — doesn't have that ability. The job requires drivers to travel nationwide and come into contact with goods shipped from overseas, which could affect not only them, but those they come into contact with.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, some 1.8 million Americans nationwide are truck drivers. Of those, about 350,000 to 400,000 are owner-operators — meaning they own their own truck and move loads on a freelance basis for various retailers and manufacturers.

One truck driver who moves goods for Amazon said she and her husband are loading up on hand sanitizer and washing their hands at every chance.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...om-home-2020-3
    Jimmy likes this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I am officially devoting this thread to how the corona virus is affecting trucking and hope any of you that have such news will add it to this thread. And yes I will sticky this thread so it is easy for all of you to find.

Trucking Not Immune From Worries Over COVID-19
    For fleets, COVID-19 portends worse news in a freight market that already was slowing, executives said, as businesses urge their staff to work from home and consumers withdraw from daily activities.

Marquee gatherings for truckers, sporting events and theater attractions have been postponed while schools have resorted to remote learning in efforts to slow the rate of the coronavirus, now a pandemic.

“These things, combined with a freight market that was already stuck in a rut before the coronavirus hit, will delay its potential to rebound even longer,” said Riley Larson, general manager at JMS Transportation Inc., a dedicated contract, regional truckload and brokerage services company in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

“If the coronavirus subsides within a couple months, it will likely take months after that before we start seeing growth again in the trucking industry as a whole,” Larson said.
    https://www.ttnews.com/articles/truc...-over-covid-19
    Jimmy, fxstc07 and 222lifer like this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

I know people that drive for grocery stores and they are all working.. To the max..
    Jimmy and 1484-1075 like this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I know people that drive for grocery stores and they are all working.. To the max..
    Ask the same question to those that work in the entertainment industry, professional sports workers, cruise lines, airplane industry, hospitality, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Ask the same question to those that work in the entertainment industry, professional sports workers, cruise lines, airplane industry, hospitality, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I will just wait for you to ask them and then you can post on here for us.
    1484-1075 likes this.

Resistance is futile.

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC-Roadway

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Thursday night I seen much more than usual Harris Teeter grocery store trucks on the road, and I mean many more than usual.
    crazy and 1484-1075 like this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Thursday night I seen much more than usual Harris Teeter grocery store trucks on the road, and I mean many more than usual.
    People are panic buying. Stores will be restocked. Toilet paper and paper towels are still being made and shipped. Milk and bread are still being shipped. Here is a suggestion for the members here ..Milk ??? Buy organic milk. It is processed different and the shelf life is like two months. Half gallon normally lasts me at least two weeks. Just use it for coffee.. Never had one go sour. Stay safe..
    1484-1075 likes this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Really? I don't think this is such a great idea.

Trucking industry in high demand during COVID-19 pandemic

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.— The trucking industry is in high demand amid the Coronavirus pandemic.
    Following President Donald Trump’s announcement of issuing a national emergency declaration, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration also issued a national emergency declaration.

"There is a declaration that has been passed that relieved the drivers from the hours of service during this emergency, but most of them will not pass over 11 hours just because the way the routes are set up,” said the Managing Director for the New Mexico Trucking Association, Johnny Johnson.

He said drivers could go over 11 hours if they need to.
    https://www.kob.com/coronavirus/truc...dn8gc.facebook