Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default With Rush Hour Traffic Gone, Truck Drivers Speed Deliveries

Truck drivers have faced a number of hurdles in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. But lately, traffic hasn’t been one of them.
    “Not only are trucks continuing to move, but they are doing so at speeds well in excess of normal traffic patterns,” said Rebecca Brewster, the institute’s president and chief operating officer.

A big factor has been the reduction in rush-hour commuter traffic as workers have stayed home and worked remotely. That has allowed trucks to increase average speeds. Along Interstate 495 in Queens, N.Y., for example, the average truck speed more than doubled from 16 mph to 38 mph, although that’s still well below the posted speed.
    “There’s been a shift in the supply chain like we’ve never seen,” said Kendra Hems, president of the Trucking Association of New York. In many cases, trucking companies that may have seen a slowdown in demand are offering their drivers and truck cabs to supermarket chains that have seen a surge in demand, citing one Syracuse-based example.
    https://www.ttnews.com/articles/rush...eed-deliveries

2. Likes 2631 Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Default Re: With Rush Hour Traffic Gone, Truck Drivers Speed Deliveries

A friend who is working as a casual at Shoprite since 641 cut his pension called me yesterday. He was saying what a breeze it was crossing the GWB, Cross Bronx and 95 on a run up to Connecticut and back. He said there isn't any need to hang out because the warehouses are full and he can get as many loads to the stores as he has hours left.

4. Likes 222lifer, ABFwife, crazy Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default Re: With Rush Hour Traffic Gone, Truck Drivers Speed Deliveries

Quote Originally Posted by 2631 View Post
    A friend who is working as a casual at Shoprite since 641 cut his pension called me yesterday. He was saying what a breeze it was crossing the GWB, Cross Bronx and 95 on a run up to Connecticut and back. He said there isn't any need to hang out because the warehouses are full and he can get as many loads to the stores as he has hours left.
    I see some things never change with ShopRite.. When I worked for them it was always "as long as you have hours you are available" .. As far as the light traffic.. I would rather sit in heavy traffic and have things back to normal. Wait did I say "sit in traffic"??

6. Likes 2631 Liked this post