Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    Nevermind

Default Re: Teamsters, do something besides post. Run for delegate.

Quote Originally Posted by x475 View Post
    If Pope and Gegare both make it on the ballot, I predict they will split the anti-hoffa vote, giving hoffa a narrow victory. Not a majority, but a slim pathetic marginal win.
    As a Sandy supporter, the hope is that Gegare splits off many former Hoffa supporters.

In the 2006 election, it was roughly Hoffa 200,000 votes, Tom Leedham and Sandy Pope 100,000 votes.

This time, if Gegare was able to take half of Hoffa's voters, then we could have Hoffa 100,000, Gegare 100,000, and Pope 100,000. Then anything could happen.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired ABF/Red Star

Quote Originally Posted by TDU_Teamster View Post
    As a Sandy supporter, the hope is that Gegare splits off many former Hoffa supporters.

In the 2006 election, it was roughly Hoffa 200,000 votes, Tom Leedham and Sandy Pope 100,000 votes.

This time, if Gegare was able to take half of Hoffa's voters, then we could have Hoffa 100,000, Gegare 100,000, and Pope 100,000. Then anything could happen.
    I think just the opposite will happen. IMO if both Pope and Gegare stay in the race they will split the anti Hoffa vote.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

It would be great if they would run together.It could be Pope-Gegare against Hoffa-Hall. How about them apples?

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    "Wonderful" YRC Worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    Maybe that would help us, where did you get this info about how bad she is from?
    People have basically taken facts (like dwindling membership) and laid that at the local president's feet (Sandy in this case). What's not hard to do when one is making a choice is look back at the economy and say "well that's the trend of the whole country." Someone who is looking at everything when making a decision (like myself still), will rise above the one-sided accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by 174 Member View Post
    Actually, I am glad to hear that she will be putting a slate together. That will definitely help the TDU cause.
    I've never really heard one way or another, but is that her goal?
    Or did the TDU just rise up and independently endorse a candidate?

Local Union
    Employer
    Nevermind

I'll repeat what I stated before. Sandy knows better than to run alone, knowing that if she beat Hoffa and Gegare by herself, she would have to deal with all of their VP's. So she most assuredly will be announcing slate members later. She has six months to do so, because any and all slate members will need to get at least 5% of the delegates to vote for them at the June convention, so they will become ballot eligible.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I'll repeat what I stated before. Sandy knows better than to run alone, knowing that if she beat Hoffa and Gegare by herself, she would have to deal with all of their VP's. So she most assuredly will be announcing slate members later. She has six months to do so, because any and all slate members will need to get at least 5% of the delegates to vote for them at the June convention, so they will become ballot eligible.
    TDU-Teamster. I have seen where you were asked to show like the rest of us your Local number. Is this a sign of the type of leadership we could expect from Sandy Pope? After all you are one of her backers in TDU. You do not have to fight everybody all the time. In case you haven't noticed I am a sensitive caring kind person so you can let guard down with me. Thank you for fighting for me. By the way how can I thank you if I don't know who you are or where your from? Come on it is just a number. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Local Union
    Employer
    yrc

Quote Originally Posted by 174 Member View Post
    Maybe but neither did wasting our money on very expensive things where someone has zero chance of winning. I am all for a democratic process but this is a waste of resources. Gregare and Pope have no chance. Also, I honestly wish there was a good candidateto run against Hoffa but there will not be one this go around.
    They only have zero chance if you belive it and don't vote for the canidate or not vote at all. I personaly don't know who I'll vote for as I don't know enough about the stands these canidates are taking. I will endeavor though to educate myself on them and their backgrounds then vote for the one I think will stand up for us, zero chance or favorite. That is how the teamsters were built.

REGROOVABLE

Local Union
    Employer
    Big Parcel

There might not be a delegate election in L705. Only 1 slate was nominated, seconded, and accepted (all in person) at the nomination meeting. There was another slate that submitted nominations/seconds/acceptances in writing, all on one form (a spreadsheet type printout). The acceptance part of it was ruled invalid by the election supervisor: Protest Decision 2011 ESD 77 - MICHAEL BENNETT. Apparently their full slate was not present at the nominations, and those that were, didn't speak up. I know I didn't hear anyone speak up when their names were called. There were 2 (seemingly last minute) nominations for alternate delegates, I would hope they would drop out to save the Local the expense of an election.
    Actually, had they accepted orally, that should have been challenged IMO, but may have been accepted.

Local Union
    Employer
    supervalu

Congrats on TDU surviing this long, I am retired now after 33 years in the union and it's been a very tough road. I was in frieght with a big outfit Eastern freightways,I hauled mail,I haul grocery and finally made my pension. I worked for roadway,nelson,burgemeyer,mc lean,jones motorlines,sparing over the years too. I ended up with Supervalu a big grocery outfit who is ruthless about unions. I got involved with TDU because I was sick of the BS our local reps were doing for us. We managed to get 1/2 the old guard out first election and all of them the second election. We then started getting respect and good contracts to bring us to the top pension&welfare contract. I campaigned for carey (sad story) and I campaigned for leedham it, turned our local right around that quick but, we had alot of people who were fed-up with the old guard to do it. I am a staunch union guy and never backed down from any manager & was ridden all the time but, I fought bach hard and I won my pension and piece of mind. and we had a strong local from then on out. I was very sceptable about TDU because I didn't know much about them but, they proved to be a great bunch of MEN . Thanx TDU ! p.s. Sorry for long post, just stating some of the facts I experienced.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234