Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Getting In The Groove Now.

Local Union
    Employer
    Nevermind

Default Teamsters, do something besides post. Run for delegate.

As you can probably tell by my username, I am a Sandy Pope supporter

While Sandy Pope will soon be officially declared an accredited candidate by the office of the Election Supervisor, that does not mean that she will be on the October 2011 ballots. There may not even be ballots unless she or Fred Gegare get votes from at least 5% of the voting delegates at the June, 2011 Teamsters convention in Las Vegas. So if Sandy doesn't get at least about 90 delegates Unionwide, then she won't be on the October ballots. That's what the Hoffa supporters are hoping for...no competition.

This is where you can help. If you really want to make this Union a better place by helping Sandy Pope and her future slate get elected, then there is something you can do about it besides post on the internet. If you have been a member of the same Local Union for the last 24 months, and you have paid your dues on time for each and every single one of the last 24 months, and you haven't failed to pay any Union fines or assessments, then you are eligible to run for Teamsters convention delegate. Most of the delegate elections will be in January and February of 2011, so now is the time to get up from behind your computer monitor and act.

I myself am running for delegate, and I have been a delegate at previous conventions. You first want to see if you can find a full slate of reform supporting candidates within your own Local. A full slate would be better than one lonely challenger to the Hoffa-loving officers slate. But one challenger would be better than nothing. Read your Local Union and Joint Council newsletters to find out how many a full slate will be. It will be between 1 and 30 delegates, but usually 1 to 10, unless you are in a very large Local.

You can also look here:

http://ibtvote.org/delegate_election..._IBT_12_10.pdf

There will also be at least one alternate delegate from your Local. Alternate delegates are elected in case one or more delegates drop out before or during the convention. If that happens then alternate delegate number one moves up to become a delegate. Only delegates vote at the convention.

Then right now, as soon as each slate member has paid their December dues, they need to fill out and submit an official "Request for Eligibility Verification" form:

http://ibtvote.org/official_forms/17...rification.pdf

Where it says LU/System/GCA write your Local Union number. Each person can email, fax, or send via U.S. Mail the form to the Election Supervisor's office. If any of your slate members find out that they are not eligible, then you need to find a replacement, fast.

You then need to have everybody fill out and sign a nomination paper. This is better than doing verbal nominations from the floor. You collect the nomination papers from everybody and personally submit them to your Local principal officer, or his secretary, at the main Local office. Do that before the day of the nomination meeting. You may want to personally discuss a tentative "deal" with the principal officer, whereby he might agree at the end of the nomination meeting to drop some of his slate members, and let in some of your slate members, in order to save the Local the cost of an election. No deal can be finalized until the nomination meeting, because nobody will know in advance if members may walk in to the nomination meeting and get themselves nominated, which would force any previous tentative deal to be cancelled or altered.

There is no official nomination paper, so you make your own on a computer, like this:

I nominate _________________________________ for the position of delegate

to the 2011 Teamsters convention, representing Teamsters Local _ _ _.

Printed name: ________________________________

Signature: ________________________________

The last four numbers of my Social Security Number: _________

I second the nomination of _________________________________ for the position

of delegate to the 2011 Teamsters convention, representing Teamsters Local _ _ _.

I accept the nomination for the position of delegate to the 2011 Teamsters

convention, representing Teamsters Local _ _ _.

If you are on a slate, and not running by yourself, then as you are going around to have slate members sign the nomination papers, you also need to have them sign an official "Slate Declaration Form":

http://ibtvote.org/official_forms/10...m_05_03_10.pdf

You would only submit that to the Local principal officer and the office of the Election Supervisor after the nomination meeting if there is going to be an election. If there is a delegate deal, where some of your slate members are let in and become elected delegates right there at the nomination meeting, then you do not need to submit the Slate Declaration Form to anybody, because the election will have been cancelled.

You also want to bring to the nomination meeting a list of the members of your slate in the order that you want their names to appear on ballots in case their is an election. You might want to put the most well kown name at the top, or the person from the largest shop.

If there's a delegate deal, then it's all over but the convention. If there's a delegate election, then you will have about three or four weeks until the ballots are mailed out, and four more weeks until the ballots are counted. During that time you need to get flyers printed and your slate members need to campaign.

The top vote getters become delegates. If there is an extremely close election, you could end up with some Hoffa delegates and some Pope delegates.

Local Union
    Employer
    Reddaway

Default Re: Teamsters, do something besides post. Run for delegate.

Ya try to get enough votes to go to the convention so Sandy (running by herself) can get enough delegate votes to make the ticket so she can get clobbered just like TDU Tom did. Waste more of our dues money on somebody that has zero chance of winning. Even if she did win she would get nothing done as the rest of the GEB will be Hoffa people since she HAS NO SLATE!!!!!!!.

ENOUGH I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    Who Knows?

Quote Originally Posted by 174 Member View Post
    Ya try to get enough votes to go to the convention so Sandy (running by herself) can get enough delegate votes to make the ticket so she can get clobbered just like TDU Tom did. Waste more of our dues money on somebody that has zero chance of winning. Even if she did win she would get nothing done as the rest of the GEB will be Hoffa people since she HAS NO SLATE!!!!!!!.
    With all due respect 174 Member attitudes such as yours did not build the Teamsters Union to the most powerful labor organization in the world.

Imitated never duplicated

Local Union
    Employer
    CF/Roadway/YRC :]

Default Teamsters, do something besides post???

The information you provide is very informative (TDU Teamster). Thank you.

However, you've been a TO member since 2008. During this span, you have not provided anything beneficial to your fellow Teamsters. To dictate how our time is best spent and asking to support your cause is disingenuous and self-serving.

Last edited by Trucker Wife; 12-20-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: clarifying reference

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

TruckerWife brings up a very good point TDU_Teamster!

Local Union
    Employer
    Reddaway

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap560 View Post
    With all due respect 174 Member attitudes such as yours did not build the Teamsters Union to the most powerful labor organization in the world.
    Maybe but neither did wasting our money on very expensive things where someone has zero chance of winning. I am all for a democratic process but this is a waste of resources. Gregare and Pope have no chance. Also, I honestly wish there was a good candidateto run against Hoffa but there will not be one this go around.

Local Union
    Employer
    Nevermind

Default Re: Teamsters, do something besides post???

Quote Originally Posted by Trucker Wife View Post
    However, you've been a TO member since 2008. During this span, you have not provided anything beneficial to your fellow Teamsters. To dictate how our time is best spent and asking to support your cause is disingenuous and self-serving.
    Just because I haven't posted here recently, means nothing. Would it have you happy if I had posted in the silly "He who posts last, wins" thread? I have posted dozens of times on the larger, older independently run Teamster website with a message board, whose URL, if I remember this website's policy, is not allowed to be posted here.

I "have not provided anything beneficial to your fellow Teamsters"? What could I "provide"? A request for concrete action and detailed instructions is just what I "provided" in this thread. Sorry if I didn't have something of similar signifigance to post in 2009.

Let me tell you some of what else I have accomplished. I was a Teamsters convention delegate in 2001 and 2006, and I fought hard for your benefit. If you think battling the Hoffa delegate goons was easy, you would be mistaken. If you think that my speech in front of thousands of hostile Teamsters, including almost every officer in the union was easy, you would once again be mistaken. I have also been to well over 150 union meetings in my career as a Teamster.

So tell me what YOU have provided on this website that was "beneficial to your fellow Teamsters."
    Last edited by TDU_Teamster; 12-20-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Imitated never duplicated

Local Union
    Employer
    CF/Roadway/YRC :]

You honestly believe we're going to get anywhere with your ego and ranting, TDU_Teamster?

Not necessary to advertise my good deeds, hon. I'm at peace with my works on this earth (though there's much more to accomplish.)

Good luck with your endeavors.

I'm lovin' it

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by 174 Member View Post
    Maybe but neither did wasting our money on very expensive things where someone has zero chance of winning. I am all for a democratic process but this is a waste of resources. Gregare and Pope have no chance. Also, I honestly wish there was a good candidateto run against Hoffa but there will not be one this go around.
    What on earth has Hoffa done for you? Nothing. He has tried to sell you out how many times? He deserves how much respect for doing nothing. I am not sure if you are a Teamster, but I will tell you this. I have campaigned, donated cash, sold tickets and promoted Jim Hoffa and his slate since he decided to run for General President. What did I get in return? Not a damg thing, except to see him run like hell when the going gets tough. Fred is no angel either, he sold out thousands of unionized Schneider people, under Hoffa's reign. Hoffa has disgraced this union to the point it is a joke. He said he wanted to restore the dignity in freight, and eliminate double salaries and pensions, when is he going to start? He hasn't yet and probably will not because GREED has set into their agenda, and the only way to get what they want is to make sure we get done for them, paying dues that don't even get us a fair shake at the bargaining table, like the dues were meant to.

If Hoffa gets elected, I can see two entire industries jumping ship in short order. None of those people are happy they are here in the first place. But you just keep on your Jim Hoffa stand, and seeing how your a reddaway guy he just might get the job done of closing those doors two days after the election.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Teamsters, do something besides post???

Quote Originally Posted by TDU_Teamster View Post
    Just because I haven't posted here recently, means nothing. Would it have you happy if I had posted in the silly "He who posts last, wins" thread? I have posted dozens of times on the larger, older independently run Teamster website with a message board, whose URL, if I remember this website's policy, is not allowed to be posted here.

I "have not provided anything beneficial to your fellow Teamsters"? What could I "provide"? A request for concrete action and detailed instructions is just what I "provided" in this thread. Sorry if I didn't have something of similar signifigance to post in 2009.

Let me tell you some of what else I have accomplished. I was a Teamsters convention delegate in 2001 and 2006, and I fought hard for your benefit. If you think battling the Hoffa delegate goons was easy, you would be mistaken. If you think that my speech in front of thousands of hostile Teamsters, including almost every officer in the union was easy, you would once again be mistaken. I have also been to well over 150 union meetings in my career as a Teamster.

So tell me what YOU have provided on this website that was "beneficial to your fellow Teamsters."

You come on this site and start trash talking about some our forums and our policy just because someone pointed out that the only reason this site is of any use or importance to you is a way to get votes for your candidate.That's all we're good for in your eyes.IMO...This is an insult to TeamstersOnLine and every member on here.This is not a good way to get Teamster's to support your candidate.This psychology crap about how hard you fought for our benefit doesn't wash with me.In my eyes...you are doing what's "beneficial to you and the TDU".

In my eyes ...with your post...you didn't help Pope here at all..which is sad because she will probably have the best chance to beat Slim Jim.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast