LTLBoards.com - Owner

Local Union
    Employer
    Sealy Mattress Company

Default What has the Union done for me?

222lifer started a great thread about what the Union can do for you.

What can a Union do for me?

I'd like to point out some things that the Union has done for me.

When the Union company I worked for was bought out by a non union company, they attempted to end tail us into their seniority list, as well as classify us as "new" employees thereby eliminating our earned vacation time and wage status. Even though the buyout got rid of the Union, they still came to our rescue. Our contract clearly stated that in the event of a buyout, we would dove tail in, seniority in tact. Our contract also did not allow for any wage or benefit reduction. When the dust settled, we retained everything.

When I attempted to organize a non union company, I was targeted, and fired. The Union again came to my aid. Along with NLRB charges, they assisted me in attaining legal counsel, and I subsequently sued the company. Not more than 3 months after filing the lawsuit, the company felt it was in their best interest to settle out of court.

While working for a Union company, they hired a punk kid dispatcher straight out of college. This kid took a particular disliking to one of our hostlers. This hostler was very big and intimidating, but was nothing more than a giant teddy bear. This particular day, the kid mouthed off at the hostler again. The hostler turned and started walking away from the window. The kid then left the dispatch office, came into the break room, and headed straight for the hostler. The hostler had his back to the kid, and as the kid approached, he raised his right arm while holding a walkie talkie. The hostler seeing this in the reflection of the window, and fearing he was about to be hit in the back of the head, turned and popped the kid right in the face. The hostler was of course fired on the spot. After a review of the video and audio tapes, it was clear that the hostler had acted in self defense. The hostler got his job back, and the dispatcher was fired.

All in all, the Union has provided me with not only a safe working environment, but the ability to get a fair shake when the company over steps its bounds. I receive fair pay, better than average benefits, and a pension. But most importantly, I have a VOICE!

Proud To Be a Teamster

Local Union
    769/251
    Employer
    UPS Freight

Default Re: What has the Union done for me?

I'm going to post my answer short and to the point. The Union has given me piece of mind, security and always hope for better days ahead. I am and always will be proud to say I am a TEAMSTER!

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I would like to say something as a wife of a Teamster. Husband has only been a Teamter since 2006 but it truly was life changing for us. For nine years he had worked as a non-union driver, I should say, he worked his butt off for those nine years. Very long hours, sometimes horrible benefits and very little time with the family. That all changed with him going to ABF. He is treated respectfully, paid well, great benefits and home time with his family. Three years ago when he got laid off due to the economy tanking, it was back to horrible pay, pay you could barely even survive on, horrible benefits and zero respect. He is back at ABF now and we count our blessings everyday! That's it in a nutshell.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    "Wonderful" YRC Worldwide

LTL boards, I have been of the opinion that a voice in the workplace is tops on the list, and encompasses many subjects, but I'm always looking for good ideas like yours.

Obscurity has no heroes.

Local Union
    Employer
    Tropicana (PepsiCo)

Great pay, excellent benefits (those came in REALLY handy at the beginning of the year), protection, pride, security!

Like Jay said, I'm proud to be a Teamster!

(And it allowed me to join , too!)

LinkBacks (?)