I've taken personal offense to this article and those like it,once again main stream media slanting the issue,words that imprint the publics mind against one thing they have very little knowledge of,using the word "Cartel" instinctively leads one to think of Drug Carels,Oil Cartels,images of violence and corruption,much like Organized Labor has been painted with a dirty brush,have taken a number of Cab rides and enjoy talking to these hard working small business owners,one in the NW was actually a Teamster,had a newer Prius and enlightened me to a great many aspects of his business,another was in PHX riding back to the terminal,he had been robbed several times,once shot twice and yet he still works to make a living for himself and family. As I speak some Bobblehead bolnde on the A.M news is bashing the Cabbies as rude and unreliable,now we all know these Uber Gippos are the same fly by night wannabe's that destroyed the trucking Industry,whomever wages the best PR campaign and courts the most politicians will most likely come out the winner,can only hope the Taxi Industry mounts a defense and quickly or they may suffer the same demise we did,god speed brothers and sisters.

Uber Hires Obama Campaign Manager to Battle ‘Big Taxi Cartel’ - TIME

Uber has hired one of President Barack Obama’s top political advisers to help wage an increasingly fierce turf war with taxi cab associations.

“Our opponent – the Big Taxi cartel – has used decades of political contributions and influence to restrict competition, reduce choice for consumers, and put a stranglehold on economic opportunity for its drivers,” Uber CEO Travis Kalanick said in a statement on the company’s blog. “We needed someone who understood politics but who also had the strategic horsepower to reinvent how a campaign should be run.”

“I’ve watched as the taxi industry cartel has tried to stand in the way of technology and big change,” Plouffe added. “Ultimately, that approach is unwinnable.”