Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Lipton Workers Vote to Unionize: “Everyone just got tired of it”

Congratulations!!!

Juanita Hart has worked as an operator at the Lipton Tea manufacturing plant in Suffolk, Virginia, for 25 years. She’s seen a lot of change in that time, but nothing like what happened last month.

“I was crying like I had won the lottery,” Hart told In These Times. I was so glad and I was so happy because I’ve been told for all this time, all these years, that it would never happen. And when it happened, I had so much joy that all I could do (was) cry.”

She was talking about workers’ decision to join a union.

They voted, 108-79, in an election held by the National Labor Relations Board on August 26. More than 200 workers at the plant, which makes nearly all of the Lipton Tea sold in North America, will now be represented by United Food and Commercial Workers Local 400.
    Lipton Workers Vote to Unionize: “Everyone just got tired of it” - Working In These Times

2. Likes 222lifer, fxstc07 Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Lipton Workers Vote to Unionize: “Everyone just got tired of it”

Had to post about this again. Who of us has not had Lipton tea like all of our lives?

A Union Is Brewing at Virginia Lipton Factory

Lipton brings tea from around the world through the Port of Virginia. At its single 20-acre plant in nearby Suffolk, 200 workers roast, blend, package, and warehouse it, producing over 6 billion bags a year.

For years on end, these workers have been “drafted”—the company’s term for forced overtime—into working 13 straight days out of every 14.

When workers quit or took leave, Lipton refused to replace them. The more overtime the company demanded, the fewer workers remained… and the fewer workers remained, the more overtime the company demanded.

“That was the nail in the coffin for the majority of us,” said Robert Davis, a mechanic who works on machines in the plant. “They threw it on us with no remorse.”
    A Union Is Brewing at Virginia Lipton Factory | Labor Notes

4. Likes 222lifer, fxstc07 Liked this post