Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Workers at Idaho’s Lucky Friday mine have been on strike for 370 days

Lucky Friday workers together with their families and union leaders marched on Saturday in Mullan, Idaho, to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the strike they initiated on March 13, 2017, to push for better labour standards.

Lucky Friday, owned by Hecla Mining Company (NYSE: HL), is Idaho Silver Valley’s largest underground silver mine. It began operating in 1942 and is expected to have another 20-30 years of mine life. In 2016, the mine produced 3.6 million ounces of silver.

But the workers’ stoppage, which is said to the region’s longest, has idled the mine. According to The Spokesman-Review, out of the 230 union workers involved in the action, 100 attended Saturday’s rally. They chanted “Mullan is a union town! We won’t let you shut it down!” as they marched from downtown to Lucky Friday’s picket line.

In a press release, United Steelworkers said that last week they carried out a secret ballot election where union members “overwhelmingly voted to remain on strike and return to the bargaining table rather than submit the outstanding issues to binding interest arbitration.”
    Workers at Idaho

2. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Workers at Idaho’s Lucky Friday mine have been on strike for 370 days

Hecla Mining Co. and Lucky Friday workers reach tentative agreement to end two year strike

KOOTENAI COUNTY, Idaho — The longest strike in the history of Silver Valley may come to an end. A tentative deal was struck between Hecla Mining Co. and the United Steel Workers union representing the miners, according to a post on the USW local 5114 chapter's Facebook page.
    The miners at the Lucky Friday silver mine in Mullan, Idaho, have been on strike since 2017. The strike began when USW 5114 took issue with proposals from Hecla about work schedules and other factors.

Miners were particularly upset by Hecla's suggestion that the team bidding system the miners were used to was outdated and unnecessary.

Miners claimed the bidding system allowed more senior miners to act as leaders and carry mining jobs out safely.

Hecla claimed the changes were necessary to keep the mine profitable.
    https://www.krem.com/article/news/lo...d-ac52d6a9cb9f

4. Likes fxstc07, 222lifer Liked this post