Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

In case crazy forgot I mentioned this previously, I thought I would post this again. Different article, saying the same thing.
    July 02, 2018 - Indian Motorcycle Also Considering Overseas Production
    Another American company could make the jump abroad to avoid new tariffs

Looks like Indian might join the “Let’s move production overseas to save money” movement, possibly following in the steps of Harley-Davidson. Looks like the new policy on European tariffs might end up costing more jobs than the administration had anticipated.
    Indian is looking to move some of its production from Iowa to Poland.
    https://rideapart.com/articles/india...uction-tariffs
    222lifer likes this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

Another story commenting on automobile production moving to avoid tariffs.
    In fairness, the story also mentions Harley Davidson, which is why I am posting this story.
    Carmakers warn of production shift to avoid tariffs
    “The sad truth is that if you impose tariffs, production will move around,” said Arndt Ellinghorst, lead automotive analyst at Evercore ISI. “If nationalist trends continue, the inevitable outcome will be more production where you sell the car because that’s the only way to avoid larger tariffs.”
    Harley-Davidson became the first auto group to shift manufacture last week by moving production for Europe-bound motorcycles from the US to its plants in Brazil, India or Thailand.
    For those that can move, the decision to press the button on changing production depends on whether the current bout of trade threats are a blip that will evaporate when Mr Trump leaves office, or whether they are the new normal in a world turning its back on borderless trading.
    “Putting in a new plant into a location is a long-term decision,” said Jeff Schuster, president of global vehicle forecasting at LMC Automotive. “Whether we see production shifts really depends on how long a trade war lasts.”
    https://www.ft.com/content/4bc7931c-...5-50daf11b720d
    222lifer likes this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Another large company announces price hikes due to tariffs.
    Caterpillar to raise prices due to Trump tariffs on aluminum and steel
    Caterpillar Inc. announced Monday that it will raise prices for its products to offset the costs of President Trump’s recently imposed tariffs.
    In a press release, the construction manufacturing giant said that the tariffs on aluminum and steel imports announced by the Trump administration are expected to add around $100 million to $200 million in extra material costs.
    The announcement came as part of the company’s report on second-quarter results, which showed sales and revenues up 24 percent from a year earlier.
    crazy's post #21 complained that Harley made money, yet raised prices.
    Looks like making money and raising prices is what corporate America does.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/in...ump-tariffs-on

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Another large company announces price hikes due to tariffs.
    Caterpillar to raise prices due to Trump tariffs on aluminum and steel

crazy's post #21 complained that Harley made money, yet raised prices.
    Looks like making money and raising prices is what corporate America does.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/in...ump-tariffs-on
    Are we on the same internet?? Where do you get that I complained about raising prices?? Talk about spinning!! You make stuff up as you type..

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Are we on the same internet?? Where do you get that I complained about raising prices?? Talk about spinning!! You make stuff up as you type..
    That's easy. Your post #21 in this thread.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    That's easy. Your post #21 in this thread.
    If you call that whining then I will send you a box of crayons, big box so you can share.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

I posted this here because it mentions the Harley plant moving production.
    Plus the irony and hypocrisy of it all.

Secret Service Buying a Harley-Davidson, Despite Trump’s Calls for Boycott
    The Secret Service is still buying Harley-Davidson motorcycles, even though President Donald Trump has supported a boycott of Harleys if the company moves some motorcycle production overseas.
    The Secret Service posted their intention to purchase a single Harley-Davidson motorcycle, “brand name only, with police equipment accessories” earlier this week. The procurement solicitation paperwork was posted on a website for businesses who contract with the federal government.
    Harley doesn’t sell motorcycles in the U.S. that are built overseas, and the company has said that won’t change.

Many federal law enforcement agencies use Harley-Davidsons, including the U.S. Capitol Police, Metropolitan Police and the United States Park Police. Capitol Police officers said Thursday that there are few alternatives for motorcycles equipped for police use, and most are foreign companies such as Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki.
    The Secret Service justification for the purchase says that choosing another make and model would cost thousands of dollars. Support technicians are trained on the Harley-Davidson bikes, and additional training for a new vehicle would increase costs, according to the Secret Service. The vehicles in the existing fleet include side cars, and the inventory of side cars would not work with a different type of motorcycle.
    I will call B/S on the last sentence.
    Harley ended sidecar production as of 2011. The motorcycles after that had a new frame and wouldn't accept the marriage of a factory sidecar anyway.
    So the above sentence about the inventory of sidecars that won't work with a different bike is true, but they won't work on new HD models either.

Oh, the irony of it all.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...davidson-trump
    ABFwife likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456