Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

MILWAUKEE -- A labor union for Harley-Davidson believes the nation's best-known motorcycle maker is closing its factory in Kansas City in order to move some of the work to a new plant in Thailand.

Harley has said it will close the Kansas City factory despite pleas from some members of Congress to keep it open and retain about 800 jobs. Harley says it’s moving the Kansas City work to the company’s plant in York, Pa., creating about 400 additional jobs in York.

But in a meeting Wednesday with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., members of the Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers said at least some of the work was headed to Thailand.

“Part of my job is being moved to York, but the other part is going to Bangkok,” said Richard Pence, a machinist at the Kansas City plant.

Harley-Davidson has denied there’s a connection between Kansas City and Thailand.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ant/601033002/
    fedexnuno likes this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

I was just going to post an article about this in another thread where we had talked about the K.C. plant closing and reasons behind it.
    Same issue, just a different read on the story.

The union has specifically criticized Harley-Davidson for investing in the Thailand factory after receiving massive tax cuts from President Trump's and the Republicans' new tax plan.
    Despite pleas from lawmakers to keep the Kansas City factory open, Harley has decided to close it, a move that will result in the job losses of about 800 workers.
    The manufacturer announced it would be creating 400 additional jobs by building a factory in York, Pa., which is just over 1,000 miles from its Kansas City factory location.
    For those that don't know the world of motorcycling, Harley-Davidson already has an assembly plant in York Pa., which has been there since world war 2, back then being a naval ordnance factory. The plant was taken over by AMF, a one time owner of HD, who started producing motorcycles in 1973 at the York location.
    So, they are not building another plant today, as the current assembly is brand new, next to the site of the old WW2 factory which was torn down.
    I have visited and toured both the old building and the new one.
    As for added jobs, I find that hard to believe because of the history of lay-offs within the new plant as new technology and assembly processes have reduced the needed employees that the old facility used.
    More like seniority bumping will be available to any employee willing to transfer from K.C. to York. ( my opinion only )

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/387...in-kansas-city
    fedexnuno likes this.

Steward

Local Union
    Employer
    Nature's Best

Default Re: Union: Harley-Davidson will ship work to Thailand from closing U.S. plant

That sucks...and the jobs are being created where? In America!!!
    Nope, guess I’ll always hold on to my Three bikes because they’re American made by American hands, and Union made.
    I don’t know what to think about this, might as well call them semi-rice rockets
    Last edited by fedexnuno; 05-11-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

More on Harley Davidson

Milwaukee-based motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson announced Monday that it will move the production of its European Union-bound motorcycles to sites overseas as a direct result of President Trump's escalating trade war,*the*Financial Times*reports. Harley-Davidson said that European Union tariffs, which were imposed in retaliation to Trump's tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, would increase the average cost of a motorcycle to the EU from the U.S. by around $2,200,*Marketwatch*reports.

"Harley-Davidson believes the tremendous cost increase, if passed onto its dealers and retail customers, would have an immediate and lasting detrimental impact to its business in the region, reducing customer access to Harley-Davidson products and negatively impacting the sustainability of its dealers' businesses," the company said, adding that it plans to "shift production of motorcycles for EU destinations from the U.S. to its international facilities to avoid the tariff burden."

The company's decision is a blow to Trump's goal of "America first" economic policies. The manufacturing jobs will reportedly be moved to plants in India, Brazil, and Thailand, Harley-Davidson said.*Jeva Lange

http://theweek.com/speedreads/781030...ction-overseas

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    ABFwife likes this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    More on Harley Davidson

Milwaukee-based motorcycle manufacturer Harley-Davidson announced Monday that it will move the production of its European Union-bound motorcycles to sites overseas as a direct result of President Trump's escalating trade war,*the*Financial Times*reports. Harley-Davidson said that European Union tariffs, which were imposed in retaliation to Trump's tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, would increase the average cost of a motorcycle to the EU from the U.S. by around $2,200,*Marketwatch*reports.

"Harley-Davidson believes the tremendous cost increase, if passed onto its dealers and retail customers, would have an immediate and lasting detrimental impact to its business in the region, reducing customer access to Harley-Davidson products and negatively impacting the sustainability of its dealers' businesses," the company said, adding that it plans to "shift production of motorcycles for EU destinations from the U.S. to its international facilities to avoid the tariff burden."

The company's decision is a blow to Trump's goal of "America first" economic policies. The manufacturing jobs will reportedly be moved to plants in India, Brazil, and Thailand, Harley-Davidson said.*Jeva Lange

In blow to Trump's 'America First' policy, Harley-Davidson moves some production overseas

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    They already have tariffs on them.. Now they have already said they were opening a plant in Thailand .. You don't think that the bikes made there would have made it to Europe?? with or without tariffs??

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    They already have tariffs on them.. Now they have already said they were opening a plant in Thailand .. You don't think that the bikes made there would have made it to Europe?? with or without tariffs??
    Tariffs are more complex then you understand. Size ( displacement ) of the engine affects some tariffs.
    Yes, the plant is opening in Thailand, meant to build the new small "Street" models, not the full size bikes we use or that Europe buys.

Bottom line, more lay-offs for American motorcycle manufacturers. Jobs ...

While this story seems to revolve around Harley Davidson, let's not forget the other major manufacturer of American motorcycles, Indian.
    They will also face the import tariff and will lose sales, meaning they will lose jobs here in the US.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/european-...de-motorcycles
    222lifer likes this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Tariffs are more complex then you understand. Size ( displacement ) of the engine affects some tariffs.
    Yes, the plant is opening in Thailand, meant to build the new small "Street" models, not the full size bikes we use or that Europe buys.

Bottom line, more lay-offs for American motorcycle manufacturers. Jobs ...

While this story seems to revolve around Harley Davidson, let's not forget the other major manufacturer of American motorcycles, Indian.
    They will also face the import tariff and will lose sales, meaning they will lose jobs here in the US.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/european-...de-motorcycles
    Your right,I don't fully understand but what I have been told by my neighbor it costs more to send something to Europe than if he was sending the same item from Europe.. He is from Germany and his mom still lives in Cologne.. She comes twice a year and spends 4 to 6 weeks each time.. A few years back he was gonna ship a car for her to Europe and this was a used car.. It was actually cheaper to buy a NEW car in Germany than to to send a used model of the same vehicle.. I don't think he is making this up.. I know the guy 33 years .. From what I have read about this is that almost every country in the world that trades with the US has a higher tariff than we do.. Wonder why?? Maybe because they think we are the world bank..
    1484-1075 likes this.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Your right,I don't fully understand but what I have been told by my neighbor it costs more to send something to Europe than if he was sending the same item from Europe.. He is from Germany and his mom still lives in Cologne.. She comes twice a year and spends 4 to 6 weeks each time.. A few years back he was gonna ship a car for her to Europe and this was a used car.. It was actually cheaper to buy a NEW car in Germany than to to send a used model of the same vehicle.. I don't think he is making this up.. I know the guy 33 years .. From what I have read about this is that almost every country in the world that trades with the US has a higher tariff than we do.. Wonder why?? Maybe because they think we are the world bank..
    Think about this for a moment.
    If you buy a used car, don't you pay sales tax on it ? Even though when sold previously, new or otherwise, a sales tax was already collected on it.
    Explain that to me.

Now as for exporting a vehicle from the US to Germany taxes must be paid according to their rules.
    First a 10% import duty, followed by the 19% VAT, followed by a motor vehicle tax, according to the vehicles value.
    Now read this:
    The duty and import tax free import of a motor vehicle is permitted only if it has been registered in your name as its sole owner and personally used by yourself at your previous residence for at least six months before moving to Germany. For proof you can show the registration certificate issued by your home country department of motor vehicles. The vehicle should arrive in Germany at around the same time you do, and you must usually keep the vehicle for personal use for at least year after arriving in Germany. Both of these requirements can be waived in extraordinary circumstances.
    This is also important:
    If your stay is going to be longer, whether the car is imported duty free or not, it must be registered at your local motor vehicle registration office and pass a technical inspection for roadworthiness and safety, as well as an emissions control test. This may mean that some cars (especially North American cars) may need to be modified to meet German standards regarding such things as headlights, emissions, brakes, rust and tires.
    A little more complex then what your German friend said.
    Besides, all this has nothing to do with tariffs placed on imported, or goods for export.

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/import-car.html

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    new penn

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Think about this for a moment.
    If you buy a used car, don't you pay sales tax on it ? Even though when sold previously, new or otherwise, a sales tax was already collected on it.
    Explain that to me.

Now as for exporting a vehicle from the US to Germany taxes must be paid according to their rules.
    First a 10% import duty, followed by the 19% VAT, followed by a motor vehicle tax, according to the vehicles value.
    Now read this:

This is also important:

A little more complex then what your German friend said.
    Besides, all this has nothing to do with tariffs placed on imported, or goods for export.

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/import-car.html
    All I can tell you is I trust what my neighbor has told me.. It was cheaper to buy a new car in Germany than to send a used one from here.. he has no reason to lie about it..Your link also says it has to be owned for six months before even being shipped to Germany.. More grey area..

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

All I can tell you is I trust what my neighbor has told me.. It was cheaper to buy a new car in Germany than to send a used one from here.. he has no reason to lie about it..Your link also says it has to be owned for six months before even being shipped to Germany.. More grey area..
    Lots of gray area. Did the used vehicle need to be updated to reflect current German laws regarding safety and emissions ?
    Did he pay to much for that used vehicle to begin with ?
    Was the new car in Germany the cheapest available, or was it the same exact model he wanted to import ?
    Too many variables.

Besides, what a hassle to buy a car here, arrange for shipping, arrive at the docks to receive car, arrange to make payments for VAT, and other taxes, arrange for inspection, registration, etc.
    Really ... it was probably cheaper at home after you factor in all the grief.

Some people will waste a dollar to save a dime.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast