Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Historic Achievement: Labor Union Backs Trump's USMCA Trade Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by slavenomore View Post
    Protectionism builds nations....that is fact.
    A fact means you have some proof of that. Please provide that.
    I think, once again, you need to trace back history. You'll find protectionism has destroyed economy's, and has not built any nation.
    it has brought nothing but debt.
    The debt we have ( I assume you and I ) are what we have created on our own. If your in debt, then your choices may have been wrong.
    If your referring to our nations debt, look no further then the MIC. The current POTUS has increased funding to them and gave our tax dollars to the wealthy in the form of a "tax cut" that you and I will pay for long after we are in the grave.

You are misguided in your thoughts.
    Show me one country that says education isn't the way to a better life and a better economic world.
    I'll then show you a third world country.

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Default Re: Historic Achievement: Labor Union Backs Trump's USMCA Trade Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    A fact means you have some proof of that. Please provide that.
    I think, once again, you need to trace back history. You'll find protectionism has destroyed economy's, and has not built any nation.

The debt we have ( I assume you and I ) are what we have created on our own. If your in debt, then your choices may have been wrong.
    If your referring to our nations debt, look no further then the MIC. The current POTUS has increased funding to them and gave our tax dollars to the wealthy in the form of a "tax cut" that you and I will pay for long after we are in the grave.

You are misguided in your thoughts.
    Show me one country that says education isn't the way to a better life and a better economic world.
    I'll then show you a third world country.
    I agree with the MIC spending is too much but that is not the whole budget,
    Reliance on foreign cheap goods took our jobs. It took us to Walmart and shelf stocking. The debt came from the programs which replaced the jobs....education...training...welfare....fanny and freddy.
    The wage gap came from the same. The wage gap allowed corporations and the 1% total rule...and when they educate...they educate with the rules which benefit themselves.. Trade does us no good unless trading with people on our level.....it has just taken us down...not up.
    The pensions and union were destroyed following their rules. Not ours.

Who wants trade agreements?
    Business.
    Who almost always opposes trade deals?
    Unions.
    Who won since we brought in the Japanese cars and Sony's?
    Business.
    Who lost?
    Unions.
    Who didn't need a minimum wage, nor government healthcare, nor government laws for workrules?
    Unions.
    Who picked up people from poor to middle class?
    Unions.

Not the educated.
    Not the businessman.
    They took all the good away.....so I say to go back and do it right before going any farther.
    Your guys look to universal income because lack of wrk coming de to technology.
    That can't work.
    So I say....go back...we make all the products....the businesses pay instead of government paying........We are on our way to serious revolts under the current economic plans of education, trade, automation, and immigration...and government making up for what unions provided in the market before Japan trade.
    Go back or collapse imo........and what good was it all if it collapses politically or economically?
    Last edited by slavenomore; 01-18-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Reliance on foreign cheap goods took our jobs.
    I assume you don't have any proof that protectionism builds nations.
    Don't worry, I already know it doesn't. Just wanted to see if you would reply with a factual answer, or more bluster.

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

I assume you don't have any proof that protectionism builds nations.
    Don't worry, I already know it doesn't. Just wanted to see if you would reply with a factual answer, or more bluster.
    You can look yourself...but reading this tells me Japan had ways to protect itself while they destroyed us...and as they gradually became more open...it looks to me that it didn't help them.
    You go so far...and then it shows how it hurts.....as they gradually get you to open to free trade.
    Nations get sucked in....and then the damage is done.....then you have no choice but to give in to the system.
    Britain was biggest on free trade from American Civil war days to WWI.....we became biggest then.

It's a big game run by world banks and economists imo.
    Best not to need anybody and learn how to be self sufficient imo. Don't need the world as customers and don't need The world for their products and we could learn to be stable imo. The big economists want no borders or boundaries so they can capitalize on the whole world imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_policy_of_Japan

You can see as they destroyed us in the 70's....they gradually opened up and it hurt them.
    They won't write it like that...but you can put 2 and 2 together.
    Last edited by slavenomore; 01-18-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

You can look yourself...
    No, that's not how it works. You made a claim that should be supported with facts and a link.
    You haven't.

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

No, that's not how it works. You made a claim that should be supported with facts and a link.
    You haven't.
    https://buchanan.org/blog/tariffs-th...a-great-136986
    Free trade is the policy of fading and failing powers, past their prime. In the half-century following passage of the Corn Laws, the British showed the folly of free trade.

They began the second half of the 19th century with an economy twice that of the USA and ended it with an economy half of ours, and equaled by a Germany, which had, under Bismarck, adopted what was known as the American System.

Of the nations that have risen to economic preeminence in recent centuries — the British before 1850, the United States between 1789 and 1914, post-war Japan, China in recent decades — how many did so through free trade? None. All practiced economic nationalism.

This is where it brought us:
    The problem for President Trump?

Once a nation is hooked on the cheap goods that are the narcotic free trade provides, it is rarely able to break free. The loss of its economic independence is followed by the loss of its political independence, the loss of its greatness and, ultimately, the loss of its national identity.

Brexit was the strangled cry of a British people that had lost its independence and desperately wanted it back.
    Last edited by slavenomore; 01-19-2020 at 12:26 AM.

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

That the Smoot-Hawley Tariff caused the Depression of the 1930s is a New Deal myth in which America’s schoolchildren have been indoctrinated for decades.

The Depression began with the crash of the stock market in 1929, nine months before Smoot-Hawley became law. The real villain: The Federal Reserve, which failed to replenish that third of the money supply that had been wiped out by thousands of bank failures.

Milton Friedman taught us that.
    From the same link.

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

You haven't.
    This story shows what made us great and it shows what tariffs did for us....it is full of info.
    https://www.creators.com/read/pat-bu...-america-great

"A free people should promote such manufactures as tend to render them independent on others for essentials, especially military supplies," said President Washington in his first message to Congress.
    What did the Protectionists produce?

From 1869 to 1900, GDP quadrupled. Budget surpluses were run for 27 straight years. The U.S. debt was cut two-thirds to 7 percent of GDP. Commodity prices fell 58 percent. U.S. population doubled, but real wages rose 53 percent. Economic growth averaged 4 percent a year.

And the United States, which began this era with half of Britain's production, ended it with twice Britain's production.

Under Warren Harding, Cal Coolidge and the Fordney-McCumber Tariff, GDP growth from 1922 to 1927 hit 7 percent, an all-time record.

Economic patriotism put America first, and made America first.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

From the same link.
    Not going to continue a debate over this. You miss much of the information by not reading other beneficial information about protectionism.
    A blog by Buchanan is just him uttering his opinion. In 1929 as the depression struck, the US already had HIGH tariff rates. The Smoot-Hawley act only added to those already high tariffs. Did you know the tariff rate on dutiable items in 1929 was 40.1%, before the Smoot-Hawley act was inacted! ? It rose to 59.1% in 1932
    Why not read about the Smoot-Hawley Tariff, it's effect on our economy and why high tariffs don't work.
    The depression worsened for workers and farmers despite Smoot and Hawley's promises of prosperity from high tariffs.
    Read here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot%...ley_Tariff_Act

This is from another source.
    Some observers have argued that the tariff, by deepening the Great Depression, may have contributed to the rise of political extremism, enabling leaders such as Adolf Hitler to increase their political strength and gain power.
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/Smo...ley-Tariff-Act

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Not going to continue a debate over this. You miss much of the information by not reading other beneficial information about protectionism.
    A blog by Buchanan is just him uttering his opinion. In 1929 as the depression struck, the US already had HIGH tariff rates. The Smoot-Hawley act only added to those already high tariffs. Did you know the tariff rate on dutiable items in 1929 was 40.1%, before the Smoot-Hawley act was inacted! ? It rose to 59.1% in 1932
    Why not read about the Smoot-Hawley Tariff, it's effect on our economy and why high tariffs don't work.

Read here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoot%...ley_Tariff_Act

This is from another source.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Smo...ley-Tariff-Act
    He tells you you have been propagandists in school and everywhere on Smoot-Hawley.
    The banks got greedy and handed out too much money....just like they did for things which led to the 2008 crash.
    Big money teaches you.
    They skip the stuff Pat writes.
    We don't need imports and shouldn't "need" exports.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast