Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

  1. #11
    Taking A Stand!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Local Union
    492
    Employer
    ABF
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    35,939
    Rep Power
    841

    Default Re: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    I beg to differ as I have done both.. Both can be very hard jobs whether when your a road driver your out hooking a set of doubles in a snow storm or your a P&D driver dragging that inside delivery to an elevator up to the 19th floor somewhere.. Or your a road driver that legally can drive but has a hard time finishing because you didn't get any sleep the day before.. to me they were equal ..
    I am very aware of what husband does in his line of work. But he used to throw groceries for a living at a Giant food service company. He would tell you the job he has now is far easier physically. In fact it was why he left that job. His knees and elbows were going out. Also used to have a UPS delivery guy that was in his 30's and leaving UPS because he said his knees were gone. And let me tell you that guy was a total teamster but he could not handle it physically anymore.

    They physical aspect of the UPS delivery person is what I was talking about.

  2. #12
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Local Union
    641
    Employer
    new penn
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Posts
    20,641
    Rep Power
    831

    Default Re: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    I am very aware of what husband does in his line of work. But he used to throw groceries for a living at a Giant food service company. He would tell you the job he has now is far easier physically. In fact it was why he left that job. His knees and elbows were going out. Also used to have a UPS delivery guy that was in his 30's and leaving UPS because he said his knees were gone. And let me tell you that guy was a total teamster but he could not handle it physically anymore.

    They physical aspect of the UPS delivery person is what I was talking about.
    Physically ?? In that I would agree.. I have stated I have done both .Now I ran the road for Redstar who was a regional "overnight" carrier.. In our terminal we started anywhere from 11:30 to 1:30 at night.. A few guys had turns but most of us stayed out a few nights.. The change in start times was about the worst.. One day you start at 11:30 at night and the next day you could be starting at 5 in the afternoon depending on when they shut you down the day before..Running on a 70 hour eight day week I seldom had a zero in the log book.. You had terminals that would put you to bed at 3 in the morning because they needed the tractor for the day and sometimes you wouldn't get out that night till after midnight.. So sure you didn't do the physical work a P&D driver does but the lack of sleep made them equal.. Many a morning I had to pull to the side of the road or off an exit ramp to try and get a 15 minute nap so I could continue to the terminal.. Neither job is easy.. And both earn every penny they make..

  3. #13
    Taking A Stand!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Local Union
    492
    Employer
    ABF
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    35,939
    Rep Power
    841

    Default Re: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Physically ?? In that I would agree.. I have stated I have done both .Now I ran the road for Redstar who was a regional "overnight" carrier.. In our terminal we started anywhere from 11:30 to 1:30 at night.. A few guys had turns but most of us stayed out a few nights.. The change in start times was about the worst.. One day you start at 11:30 at night and the next day you could be starting at 5 in the afternoon depending on when they shut you down the day before..Running on a 70 hour eight day week I seldom had a zero in the log book.. You had terminals that would put you to bed at 3 in the morning because they needed the tractor for the day and sometimes you wouldn't get out that night till after midnight.. So sure you didn't do the physical work a P&D driver does but the lack of sleep made them equal.. Many a morning I had to pull to the side of the road or off an exit ramp to try and get a 15 minute nap so I could continue to the terminal.. Neither job is easy.. And both earn every penny they make..
    Yep, husband does it all the time and he is sitting right here and said for him he would much rather do that than unload a truck all day.

  4. #14
    Scab Hating Union Thug

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    222
    Employer
    YRC
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    23,747
    Rep Power
    1108

    Default Re: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    Yep, husband does it all the time and he is sitting right here and said for him he would much rather do that than unload a truck all day.
    Long before the bears were pulling us in to climb through tractors and place our logs under a microscope, I peddled Mon-Fri for Old Yellar and hauled mail for a contactor from Salt Lake City to Dillion Montana on the weekends. 714 round trip and I considered it thievery when I received my pay. Easiest driving job I'd ever had. Second easiest job was Shuttling for another contractor from Salt Lake City to Smithfield Utah and back. Twice a night about 10 hours in all. 2 hours up and 2 back with a little time to drop, hook, and paperwork. That was after my shift at Old Yellar. I was never as tired then as I was when I was humping freight all day and into the night for Smith's and Old Yellar.

    Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    ABFwife likes this.

  5. #15
    Taking A Stand!!!

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Local Union
    492
    Employer
    ABF
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    35,939
    Rep Power
    841

    Default Re: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Long before the bears were pulling us in to climb through tractors and place our logs under a microscope, I peddled Mon-Fri for Old Yellar and hauled mail for a contactor from Salt Lake City to Dillion Montana on the weekends. 714 round trip and I considered it thievery when I received my pay. Easiest driving job I'd ever had. Second easiest job was Shuttling for another contractor from Salt Lake City to Smithfield Utah and back. Twice a night about 10 hours in all. 2 hours up and 2 back with a little time to drop, hook, and paperwork. That was after my shift at Old Yellar. I was never as tired then as I was when I was humping freight all day and into the night for Smith's and Old Yellar.

    Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    My husband does not have a bid as he chooses to be extra board so he does deal with the constant sleep issue and I know that has to be super difficult but he prefers it. He has enough seniority to get a bid but not what he wants. I just know there is now way he would want to work for UPS 70 hours a week!

  6. #16
    Scab Hating Union Thug

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Local Union
    222
    Employer
    YRC
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    23,747
    Rep Power
    1108

    Default Re: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    My husband does not have a bid as he chooses to be extra board so he does deal with the constant sleep issue and I know that has to be super difficult but he prefers it. He has enough seniority to get a bid but not what he wants. I just know there is now way he would want to work for UPS 70 hours a week!
    There's no way I would do it either. My over the road gig for the mail contractor was gravy compared to ANY freight handling. 70 hrs in a package truck is insane. I've always worked to live not lived to work.

    Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    ABFwife likes this.

  7. #17
    Retired !

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Local Union
    107
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    11,488
    Rep Power
    289

    Default Re: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

    Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    I've always worked to live not lived to work.
    Best advice yet !

    Enjoy life a little because you just don't know what tomorrow will bring.
    ABFwife likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323