Like Tree3Likes

Thread: When Liberals tell the Truth

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Allied

Default When Liberals tell the Truth

KRUGMAN: U.S. NEEDS DEATH PANELS, SALES TAXES

Eventually we do have a problem. That the population is getting older, health care costs are rising…there is this question of how we’re going to pay for the programs. The year 2025, the year 2030, something is going to have to give…. …. We’re going to need more revenue…Surely it will require some sort of middle class taxes as well.. We won’t be able to pay for the kind of government the society will want without some increase in taxes… on the middle class, maybe a value added tax…And we’re also going to have to make decisions about health care, doc pay for health care that has no demonstrated medical benefits . So the snarky version…which I shouldn’t even say because it will get me in trouble is death panels and sales taxes is how we do this.
    Krugman: U.S. Needs Death Panels, Sales Taxes

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: When Liberals tell the Truth

So why can Germany have a healthcare system that exceeds expectations and have a surplus of funds ?
    Why can Germany, with the oldest national healthcare system in the world, continue to provide coverage for it's population and not go bankrupt as the fear spreading right continues to exclaim here in the USA ?
    Why can Germany spend less on healthcare, in annual expenditures, while the USA spends more and doesn't cover everyone ?
    What's wrong here ?

The radical right pundits that spread fear and propaganda, that's the problem

Germany's universal health care system, the oldest in Europe, is a public-private system that is financed by a combination of employer and worker contributions and subsidized by the government; thus, the German health care system has many similarities to the reformed American system--namely an individual mandate and public-private financing.
    They have good coverage also.

The coverage offered through the funds is among the most extensive in Europe including doctors, dentists, chiropractors, physical therapy, prescriptions, end-of-life care, health clubs, and even spa treatment if prescribed.
    And the final talking point the right always lies about is how hard it would be to see a doctor.
    Another distortion of the truth.

A 2005 Commonwealth Fund report found that Germany ranked second among developed countries, behind only New Zealand, in the percentage of adults who could receive needed health care on the same (56%) or next (13%) day. In contrast, only 30% of American adults could receive a same day appointment for health problems and 17% for the next day. Germans visit physicians on average 7 times a year compared with the OECD median of 6.4 and in the United States 4.0 visits.
    So they see physicians more, everyone is covered and they have a surplus.
    Maybe the corporate controlled healthcare system in this country doesn't want a better system ?

International Health Systems: Issue Modules, Germany - KaiserEDU.org, Health Policy Education from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
    Sayheykid likes this.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Allied

So your saying that is what obamacare will do?

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by strapdrager View Post
    So your saying that is what obamacare will do?
    I am saying that if we give "some" national health care plan a chance, perhaps it could benefit everyone here, instead of now, only making the healthcare corporations rich.
    It does work in other parts of the world, as evidence has shown.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

give it a chance I'm guessing it'll be a more ef'ed up version of my former HMO, except now it'll be like going to the dmv.

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

There are national healthcare systems in this world that work, and work well.
    Our problems with any system, be it DMV or other, stems from the agencies and people who are tapped to run them.
    Political appointments and favoritism ruin our system from the inside out.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

You said Germany so comparing the two what's the difference? One works, one wont?

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Kickass View Post
    You said Germany so comparing the two what's the difference? One works, one wont?
    I cannot say what the difference is between the two. That would take a very detailed look at all the information, costs and regulations.
    That is far beyond my scope of knowledge and understanding. A lawyer I am not.
    Read the article, look at other info on Germany and the other countries that have national healthcare.
    It works in other places and the statistics prove that care is better and faster in those countries too.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

No time I still have to work t'll I'm 65, no time to sit around pontificating! C-Ya!

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Allied

Death Panels
    Middle Class Tax Hikes
    VAT Tax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast