I think this article points out just why we need reform in our current medical insurance system. Obama Care does not make the situation perfect but after reading this article, it obviously is going to help a lot of people. In the past I have been uninsured and underinsured and it is a very scary feeling.
O'Brian was told by her insurance company that she'd reached a milestone, the age where her rates would jump up much more than those of younger people enrolled in the same health plan.

"I was like, 'Well, happy birthday to me,'" said O'Brian, who lives outside Seattle in Renton, Wash., and has been buying her own insurance for more than a decade. "If this is what 55 feels like, what is going to happen in the next 10 years?"

If President Barack Obama's health care reform law lives up to its promises, O'Brian's insurance picture could brighten considerably in the coming decade.

Now 56, O'Brian makes $62,000 a year doing marketing and communications work for an attorneys' association that helps pay for her health insurance. Under Obamacare, O'Brian and her 22-year-old unemployed son could both get covered by a so-called silver plan designed to cover 70 percent of their medical expenses for $491 a month, according to an estimate from her state's health insurance exchange. That includes a $48 discount because their household income qualifies them for tax credits
Some Of Obamacare's Biggest Winners Know Little About The Law