I personally feel, especially after the passing of the big spending bill last week, that my life is now completely controlled by corporations. It does not matter who I vote for, it does matter if I vote at all anymore, my life has now been "planned" for me and there is not a damned thing I can do about it. I will say I am not liking the plan at all. This is one formerly fired up pro labor/pro middle class/ pro underdog person is losing her fire.
An analysis of 14 million records on campaign contributions, lobbying expenditures, federal budget allocations and spending found that, on average, “for every dollar spent on influencing politics, the nation’s most politically active corporations received $760 [$4.4 trillion total] from the federal government,” which accounts for “two-thirds of the $6.5 trillion that individual taxpayers paid into the federal treasury.”

And as the American middle class all but collapsed completely during those six years, the 200 companies studied kept getting ridiculous returns on their political investments, including loans to the failing auto industry and banks that were ‘too big to fail,’ expansions of federal programs that “help prop up prices for agribusinesses and secure trade deals for our biggest manufacturers,” and budget measures “that funneled extra dollars to everything from defense contractors to public utility companies to financial industry giants.”
Study: For every $1 Corporations Spend on Elections, They Get $760 from Government | Ring of Fire