Like Tree38Likes

Thread: New Mexico So-Called "Right To Work" Bill Filed

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: New Mexico So-Called "Right To Work" Bill Filed

Right-to-work means divide and conquer
    Proponents of "Right to Work" legislation in New Mexico say this is about freedom.

When a politician begins talking about "freedom," watch their hands: they are about to take something away from you.

In the name of "freedom" and other platitudes like "opportunity," we have seen our civil rights eroded, benefits taken away, public services privatized — and, in several states, passage of RTW laws that are simply attacks on organized labor.

When our rascals at the Roundhouse defend RTW as a bastion of "freedom" and "choice," we need to be very clear about which freedoms, and whose.
    Right-to-work means divide and conquer - The Deming Headlight

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

This past Friday's Right-To-Work discussion on PBS New Mexico In Focus. Even better than the prior weeks!

The Line: February 27, 2015 | New Mexico In Focus

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I haven't heard anything from Local 492 yet but did receive this email from the New Mexico Federation of Labor.

TAKE ACTION New Mexico!

Be in Santa Fe this SUNDAY by 1:00 PM, @ Roundhouse, 490 Old Santa Fe Trail
    CALL Your Senators NOW! Tell them "right to work" is WRONG for New Mexico!
    1-866-803-8830
    Coming from Albuquerque? JUMP on the FREE bus

Meet at 11 AM

UA Local 412 Union Hall - 510 San Pedro Dr. SE, 87108

LEARN MORE: RTWEXPOSED.org

TWITTER @RTWEXPOSED
    And here is some more news that sounds like it is very good news.

Attempt to bypass committees on right-to-work fails

March 5, 2015 4:20 pm·Views: 83

An effort to bypass the committee process for right-to-work legislation failed on a party-line vote in the Senate on Thursday afternoon.

DSC_0044Senate Minority Leader Stuart Ingle asked to move the right-to-work legislation to a committee of the whole instead of going through the traditional committee process and the three committees to which it was assigned.

The bill was ultimately assigned to the Senate Public Affairs Committee, Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Finance Committee. Republicans have complained that the right-to-work legislation has yet to be heard since passing the state House on a near-party-line vote.
    Attempt to bypass committees on right-to-work fails NM Political Report

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Here is the email I received later last night. I am going to miss this rally and I am not happy about it. But the Republicans kept everyone dangling intentionally is what I was told. I guarantee you this became news at the last minute.
    Dear ,

We were notified today, the "Right to Work" Senate Hearing is from 2-5 PM this Sunday!

Calling all Teamsters!! To Rally at the Capital, Sunday March 8th at 1 pm, against the unnecessary Right-to-Work laws that are being proposed in Santa Fe. We must not allow this dangerous unfair attack on our union and working families. Together we’ll join forces with other NM unions and stand united to defeat the war on workers and make a powerful statement to our legislators.

Wear your Teamster colors and bring your family, friends, and co-workers. Come get your Teamster Rally Towel and march with us in Santa Fe on Sunday March 8th, at 1 pm, see you @ the Roundhouse, 490 Old Santa Fe Trail.

Are you coming from Albuquerque? You can ride on the FREE bus leaving around 11 AM from UA Local 412 Union Hall - 510 San Pedro Dr. SE, 87108. You can also take the Rail Runner, Click Here for schedule.

CALL your Senators NOW! Tell them "right to work" is WRONG for New Mexico!1-866-803-8830.

By Clicking Here, you can email your State Senator by simply entering your Zip Code. There is a sample letter already written for you that you can modify or you can write your own if you wish. It takes less than one minute and can really make a difference. Make your voice heard now by Clicking Here!

Teamsters Local 492 has a new tool to stay in touch with you through your mobile phone! By simply texting the phrase TEAM492 to 86466, your cell phone number will be put in our data base to receive text updates from your Local Union. Please take a moment to text TEAM492 to the 5 digit phone number 86466.

The Union is only as strong as its members so please encourage all of your co-workers to text TEAM492 to 86466.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I am highly disappointed that I as unable to go but it sounds like many turned out for the rally! Now we have to wait for the vote.

Protesters gather at Roundhouse to oppose right-to-work bills
    Protestors and union supporters gathered in buses this morning to make the drive to Santa Fe to oppose one of the most controversial bills being debated during this legislative session: right to work.
    On Sunday, a Senate committee heard arguments on the bill inside a packed room. Hundreds of people stayed outside or funneled into overflow rooms.
    There will be no vote on the right to work legislation until Tuesday.
    Protesters gather at Roundhouse to oppose right-to-work bills | KOB.com

Also received this in an email from New Mexico Federation of Labor:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New Mexico Working Families Rally in Santa Fe,

Pack Senate Hearing to Oppose HB75

HB75 vote to pass Senate Public Affairs committee scheduled for Tuesday

(SANTA FE, Mar. 8, 2015) – Today, hundreds of New Mexican workers and community supporters rallied at the Roundhouse to oppose controversial “right to work” bills that were up for review in the Senate Public Affairs Committee hearing this afternoon. Buses and carpools full of working families from Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and across the state arrived in Santa Fe prior to the hearing for a lively rally calling on Senators to stand strong against deceptive “right to work” proposals.

“This “right to work” bill has never been about helping New Mexico’s middle class. Instead of thinking about real solutions to improve our state, elected GOP representatives have been singularly focused this session on increasing corporate profits and passing policies that benefit those who already have too much power at the expense of those who have little or no power,” said Mary Ann Montoya, a representative of UFCW Local 1564.

It was announced at the start of the hearing that the committee would not vote on “right to work” legislation until Tuesday, but that did not deter hundreds of working people from staying at the Roundhouse for several hours of public testimony--the vast majority of which were against “right to work.” After Senate Republicans attempted a failed maneuver to fast-track “right to work” last week, working family advocates are committed to monitoring the issue closely through the remainder of the session.

“We know the GOP is especially invested in passing their divisive agenda. These are issues that state Republicans count on being able to cultivate misunderstanding around and using that to mislead voters for the next two years. It is all a part of their campaign to further take over our political system to benefit the 1% at a greater and greater cost to working people,” said Jon Hendry, President of the New Mexico Federation of Labor.

Labor and community groups plan to continue working together to take action against “right to work” and will call on elected representatives to focus on a “Ready to Work” package of bills that will instead work to improve the economy, create good jobs and equip schools with the necessary tools to prepare children to be part of a 21st century workforce.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Today is the big day in New Mexico. Right to Work will go for it's final vote in the senate today. This article was released on Sunday but has some good quotes in it showing what went on up at the round house on Sunday. I will admit I am really nervous about this. Things are already so bad and passing this will just make it worse.

Senate committee pushes vote on labor bills to Tuesday

If the Senate committee blocks the bills, the measures will be dead for the year. The legislative session ends March 21, and Democrats who control the Senate already have rejected an attempt to “blast” one of the bills directly to a floor vote of all 42 members.

“Basically, this is a union-busting bill,” said Tony Garcia, a local union president of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees in southeastern New Mexico.

Unionized film workers said their industry is safe and prosperous because of the state’s existing labor law.

Peter Brill, president of Sarcon Construction in Santa Fe, also testified against the bills. He said he uses union workers whenever possible because of their skill, speed and good record for workplace safety. Good workforces make the state attractive to businesses, he said.
    Senate committee pushes vote on labor bills to Tuesday - The Santa Fe New Mexican: Legislature | 2014 New Mexico Legislative Session

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

New Mexico did it!!!!! Right-to-work was tabled at least for one more year!!!!' I'm so happy!!!!!

And here is an email I just received from NM Federation of Labor (and I am sure I will get something from 492 shortly)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Working Families Commend Senators Who Voted to Stop “Right to Work” Bills in Committee

HB75 and SB163 tabled in Senate Public Affairs committee, working family advocates thank legislators who stood strong against bills

(SANTA FE, Mar. 10, 2015) – Legislation to make New Mexico a “Right to Work” state failed to pass out of the Senate Public Affairs committee on Tuesday night after HB75 and SB163 were tabled on a party line vote. Since the start of the session, labor and community members have been taking action together to speak out against the controversial proposal in public hearings, rallies, and community town halls across the state. This past Sunday, hundreds of New Mexico workers packed the Roundhouse and testified against “Right to Work” for the first SPAC meeting on “Right to Work” bills.
    Senators spent nearly two hours of their meeting dedicated to the “Right to Work” bills, with Senators on both sides of the debate taking the opportunity to make impassioned arguments for and against the passage of the bills. Most notable, Senator Jacob Candelaria described “Right to Work” as a “cloud of rhetoric in search of solid ground.”

Working people in attendance at the committee meeting applauded the Senators who voted down the bill, as well as other elected officials who stood against “Right to Work” at all stages in the legislative process.

“We are so grateful to the Senators who helped to ensure the prosperity of New Mexico’s economy tonight by voting down terrible ‘Right to Work’ legislation. We also want to thank the Senators who protected the committee process and voted to stop the fast-tracking of HB75 on the Senate floor, as well as the House members who fought valiantly to oppose ‘Right to Work’ in their chamber,” said Brenda Watson, Librarian, AFSCME 477. “We look forward to all our elected officials working together toward solutions to benefit all of our state now that this distraction has been put to rest, and we will take action to protect against any Hail Mary moves to bring these dead bills back to life.”

“I’d like to thank the members of the Senate committee who voted against this attack on the working men and women of New Mexico. As a young man in the workforce, I strongly oppose legislation that would take away our voice and representation in the workplace,” said Casper Cly, a member of LIUNA.

Labor and community groups plan to continue working together to support a “Ready to Work” package of bills that focuses on improving the economy, creating good jobs and equipping schools with the necessary tools to prepare children to be part of a 21st century workforce.

###

IN UNITY!
    Last edited by ABFwife; 03-11-2015 at 12:03 AM.
    222lifer and wizard like this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

From local 492 this morning. An email that linked me back to their website. You can click onto a link to see photos of the big Sunday rally.
    Written by the NMFL -Mar. 10, 2015 - Legislation to make New Mexico a “Right to Work” state failed to pass out of the Senate Public Affairs committee on Tuesday night after HB75 and SB163 were tabled on a party line vote. Since the start of the session, labor and community members have been taking action together to speak out against the controversial proposal in public hearings, rallies, and community town halls across the state. This past Sunday, hundreds of New Mexico workers packed the Roundhouse and testified against “Right to Work” for the first SPAC meeting on “Right to Work” bills.
    Teamsters Local 492

NM Catholic Bishops Oppose RTW Also sent to me by local 492

The New Mexico Conference of Catholic Bishops has sent the following letter today.

March 10, 2015

The Bishops of New Mexico oppose SB183 and HB75 “Right to Work” legislation. It is important for all Catholics to understand how Right to Work laws hurt workers and families and contradicts our Churches social teachings on the dignity of work and the rights of workers. At first glance Right to Work sounds like a law that protects workers’ rights. “Why shouldn’t I be able to work without an obligation to my job sector’s union? It’s my right not to pay unions to negotiate the contract – I don’t belong to the union and it’s my money.” Sadly, this attitude reflects our increasingly individualistic society where one privileges his rights above the common good. Not only does Right to Work fracture the sense of solidarity among workers that unions help foster, it also can put employees’ basic rights and protections into peril.
    Teamsters Local 492

I am so proud of what we have accomplished. You hear a lot of negativity about NM. We seem to fall at the bottom of every "good" list yet we just managed to defeat Right-To-Work, AGAIN! And this time we had a major fight on our hands.
    Last edited by ABFwife; 03-11-2015 at 11:12 AM.
    222lifer and wizard like this.

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Even though it is a done deal for one more year, we still have this governor for another term. Our fight is not over with this Koch backed politician running our state. And the reason I am posting this article that is now out of date as of last night, there is so much talk of this governor running for vice president. And you certainly did hear about this fight on TOL and FB!

The Right-to-Work Fight You Aren't Hearing About
    March 10, 2015 Much of the focus on fights over right-to-work laws has been on Rust Belt states like Michigan, Indiana, and now Wisconsin, as its governor and likely presidential candidate Scott Walker signed a right-to-work bill Monday.

But there's also a high stakes showdown underway in New Mexico. Late last month, the state's House of Representatives passed a right-to-work bill, setting up a face-off with the Senate, which could raise the profile of Republican Gov. Susana Martinez, positioning her as a Walker-esque rising star for the GOP who is unafraid of challenging big labor.
    Sanchez said he believed the attempt to pass a right-to-work bill is intended to divide the state politically, as well as increase the profile of the governor, who is being floated as a possible vice presidential nominee.
    The Right-to-Work Fight You Aren't Hearing About - NationalJournal.com

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I cannot believe the underhandness of this! Apparently we are not out of danger yet. Please sign this petition if you are a New Mexican.

Tell the New Mexico Senate to Reject Right-to-Work Law

New Mexico's working families breathed a collective sigh a relief when their state Senate tabled a so-called "right-to-work" bill, but the fight may not be over.

Indications are that Big Business outsiders may try to attach a right-to-work provision to a different bill, which could pull just enough support to pass. We need to continue to put pressure on New Mexico state lawmakers until the current legislative session ends on March 21.
    Legislative Action Center - IAM Activist Center - 21st Century Labor Union - IAMAW
    Last edited by ABFwife; 03-11-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    222lifer likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast