Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Thanks Thanks:  0
LOL LOL:  0
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Obama Administration to Phase out Some Private Prison Use

How many times have we talked about these for profit prisons on this site? I think this is good news.

The Obama administration announced Thursday it will phase out its use of some private prisons, affecting thousands of federal inmates and immediately sending shares of the two publicly traded prison operators plunging.

In a memo to the Bureau of Prisons, Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates told it to start reducing "and ultimately ending" the Justice Department's use of private prisons. The announcement follows a recent Justice Department audit that found that the private facilities have more safety and security problems than government-run ones.

The Obama administration says the declining federal prison population justifies the decision to eventually close privately run prisons. The federal prison population — now at about 193,000 — has been dropping due to changes in federal sentencing policies over the past three years.

The policy change does not cover private prisons used by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which hold up to 34,000 immigrants awaiting deportation.
    Obama Administration to Phase out Some Private Prison Use - ABC News

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: Obama Administration to Phase out Some Private Prison Use

Sanders Applauds Decision to End Federal Use of Private Prisons

BURLINGTON, Vt., Aug. 18 – U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) issued the following statement Thursday after the Justice Department announced plans to end its use of private prisons:

“Our criminal justice system is broken and in need of major reforms. The Justice Department’s plan to end its use of private prisons is an important step in the right direction. It is exactly what I campaigned on as a candidate for president.

“It is an international embarrassment that we put more people behind bars than any other country on earth. Due in large part to private prisons, incarceration has been a source of major profits to private corporations. Study after study after study has shown private prisons are not cheaper, they are not safer, and they do not provide better outcomes for either the prisoners or the state.
    Sanders Applauds Decision to End Federal Use of Private Prisons - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

I said all along that corporations cut services to bolster, or maintain profits. This is a perfect example.
    Some things should never be privatized ... ever !
    Water, sewer, electric and any infrastructure service for the general public.

As a side note, for some reason, Governor Christie opened the bidding for the New Jersey prisons substance abuse contract early, very early. One year ahead of contract expiration and before he leaves office.
    I wonder why ?
    Private services ... not for profit ... all B/S

4. Likes crazy Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

When you have public sector work being given to the "best" bidder,corruption will ALWAYS follow..