Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Default What is free speech??

This has become a huge topic of late.. Where does free speech begin and end.. Over the last year or so it has become a huge issue on college campus's .. The college's are OK with it as long as it follows their guidelines or liberal ideas.The way I look at it is if someone is speaking and you don't like what they are saying then you can get up and leave..The alt right has had a whole lot of speaking engagements cancelled because of it's extreme right winged agenda.. Now I am not a supporter of these groups but IMO they have a right to say what they want.. If there is a left winged speaker then all is fine.. It works both ways so I can ask why is it only the right that gets shut down???

War on campus: The escalating battle over college free speech - CNN.com

Assaults on college free speech have been waged for decades, but they used to be top-down, originating with government or school administrators.
    Today, experts say, students and faculty stifle speech themselves, especially if it involves conservative causes.
    Meet the conservative student activist who wants to 'make campus great again'
    Harvey Klehr, who helped bring controversial speakers to Emory during his 40 years as a politics and history professor, said the issues college students rally around today come "embarrassingly from the left."
    Oppose affirmative action or same-sex marriage and you're branded a bigot, he said. Where debate once elevated the best idea, student bodies are now presented slanted worldviews, denying them lessons in critical thinking, he said.
    "History is full of very, very upsetting things. ... Grow up. The world is a nasty place," he said. "If you want to confront it, change it, you have to understand the arguments of nasty people."

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: What is free speech??

Only because it's on a collage campus, home of all protests and free thinking souls.
    That really hasn't changed in decades, has it ?

How many far right speeches are broadcast to the faithful everyday, in some obscure location so that they aren't interrupted ?
    Inside the Koch Brothers' Donor Summit | Time.com

3. Likes Sayheykid Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS Freight

Free speech, have we ever really had "Free Speech" in America...........

Remembering Eugene V. Debs’ Imprisonment for Speaking Against War:(:(:(:(:(:( ::( Information Clearing House - ICH

Here is his speech, that got him arrested..........

The Anti-War Speech That Sent Eugene Debs to Prison - Prose Before Hos

"The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles. The master class has had all to gain and nothing to lose, while the subject class has had nothing to gain and all to lose–especially their lives."

5. Likes crazy, fxstc07, slavenomore, wizard Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Sayheykid View Post

Remembering Eugene V. Debs’ Imprisonment for Speaking Against War****** :* Information Clearing House - ICH

"The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles. The master class has had all to gain and nothing to lose, while the subject class has had nothing to gain and all to lose–especially their lives."
    Interesting articles but I do think we have come a long way in the last 100 or so years.. The point I was making is what exactly considered free speech.. It seems on today's college campuses it is free only when you follow their agenda..The latest one being a conservative columnist and speaker with an engagement booked at I believe UCLA and the college is trying to cancel her.. Stating her safety as a reason.. Even Bernie Sanders is sticking up for her saying she has the right to say what she wants no matter even if one does not agree with her..

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Interesting articles but I do think we have come a long way in the last 100 or so years.
    Yes, we have come a long way in the last 100 years. Although there are a few people that seem to think technology, and advancements in general, are counterproductive to society and are not proven. Then again, the steam engine, electricity and aviation ( to name a few ) were unproven in their day.
    The point I was making is what exactly considered free speech.. It seems on today's college campuses it is free only when you follow their agenda..The latest one being a conservative columnist and speaker with an engagement booked at I believe UCLA and the college is trying to cancel her.. Stating her safety as a reason.. Even Bernie Sanders is sticking up for her saying she has the right to say what she wants no matter even if one does not agree with her..
    You have a point. If I don't like, or want to hear someone, then no need to attend, or tune in to listen.
    The choice is in our own hands.

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    UPS Freight

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Interesting articles but I do think we have come a long way in the last 100 or so years.. The point I was making is what exactly considered free speech.. It seems on today's college campuses it is free only when you follow their agenda..The latest one being a conservative columnist and speaker with an engagement booked at I believe UCLA and the college is trying to cancel her.. Stating her safety as a reason.. Even Bernie Sanders is sticking up for her saying she has the right to say what she wants no matter even if one does not agree with her..
    What Bernie did, is what a true American should do IMO, I don't listen to "Rush" or agree with his views, but he shouldn't be taken off the air because I don't like him or his views, but I have to disagree with you that it's getting better I believe that the "Alien and Sedidtion Act of 1798" and the "Espionage and Sedition Act of 1918" are still on the books, not to mention the "Patriot Act"....

Proof...........

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...ed-us-protests

Also we are quickly if we are not already becoming a "Oligarchy" when "We the people" realize that wealth re going to want to change that an those in power are not going to let it go....that why are police have been becoming more like the military, sooner or later the people will revolt, thats the American way IMO

Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy - BBC News

https://mic.com/articles/125813/jimm...chy#.yY2tVzCMe

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...le-we-must-win

Just to mention a few.....

9. Likes slavenomore Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF Freightway

Remembering Eugene V. Debs’ Imprisonment for Speaking Against War****** :* Information Clearing House - ICH

Yes Kid,that's how it always works.We pay for their misadventures all over the world.The Billionaires hide their assets,and don't pay taxes.They EXPLOIT US,and then Raise the Flag of Patriotism while they lay us off and close the factories for cheaper labor,whether here or overseas.

It's an Addiction to MONEY...POWER...AND GREED.The Working Class pays for the Wars,and then were told their is NO MONEY for Social Safety Nets.We have to cut your Social Security...your Pensions...Medicare...etc...Oh,and Yes,We have the FUNDS to Incarcerate 2 MILLION Prisoners,most for Non-Violent Crimes,but the School and Infrastructure Systems can fall apart,and GO TO HELL.

There is no RULE OF LAW within the United States...There is only the RULE OF PROFIT.War has always Produced the Biggest Corporate and most Lucrative SPOILS.Until ''WE THE PEOPLE'' Organize to Stop it...War will always be the'PRIMARY U.S. EXPORT'.

''This Country,with its Institutions,belongs to the People who Inhabit it.Whenever they shall grow Weary of the Existing Government,They can Exercise Their Constitutional Right of Amending it,or Their Revolutionary Right to Dismember or Overthrow it''
    Abraham Lincoln-First Inaugural Address,1861

11. Likes Sayheykid Liked this post
    On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

It was progressive Woodrow Wilson who jailed Debs.