'COMMON SENSE' GONE IN DENIAL OF MEDICAL CARE TO BABY
All Charlie Gard's parents seek is permission to leave U.K. with sick son

charlie_gard.jpg

Barring intervention from senior officials in the British government, 11-month-old Charlie Gard, who suffers from a rare genetic disease, will have his life support withdrawn soon by officials at Great Ormond Street Hospital, where Charlie now is hospitalized, although they have not yet named a time.


Charlie’s fight for life has drawn massive sympathy from around the world, with statements of support from figures as influential as Pope Francis and President Donald Trump. But so far, the British National Health Service has given no indication that its bureaucrats will allow Charlie to live. (DEATH PANEL)



“We’re not allowed to choose if our son lives and we’re not allowed to choose when or where Charlie dies,” Charlie’s parents Connie Yates and Chris Gard said in a recent Facebook post. At the time, they thought Charlie’s life support would be withdrawn on June 30, but the hospital gave them an indefinite reprieve to say goodbye.


Charlie’s parents have raised close to $1.7 million to take Charlie outside of Britain for treatment.


And an American hospital has offered to treat Charlie for free.
The Papal Bambino Gesu hospital in Rome also offered to treat Charlie. However, the NHS, Britain’s single-payer health-care system, will not let him go elsewhere receive care, even though it won’t cost a dime.

There is a danger for stories like Charlie’s to appear whenever a country turns to socialized, single-payer health care provided by the government.


“Under socialized medicine, the government pays for everybody and, therefore, is in control of everybody’s lives. In short, the government knows best,” Kupelian said.