I would say it is one of them. There are many good union jobs that are in very dirty industries. IMO this is something that definitely needs to be addressed.

I started at a young age working in an aluminum mill in central Pennsylvania, and joined the steelworkers' union. That mill was wiped out by Hurricane Agnes, which devastated central Pennsylvania in 1971. Then I went to work as a laborer, on flood cleanup at first, and then I found myself working at Three Mile Island in the construction of that power plant. Every day I went to work, I'd cross a picket line of environmental works who didn't want the power plant to be built. They had a point. It's right next to the airport. The cooling towers weren't designed to withstand the impact of a Boeing 707, which was the largest jet at that time. They had other reasons.

I understood that and sympathized with them. At the same time, it was the best job I ever had. My union, however, had a bumper sticker that said, "Hungry and out of work? Eat an environmentalist." That I didn't like. I had grown up along the banks of the Great Lake Erie at a time when we swam in the lake, and we ate the yellow perch. Then they posted all the signs saying, "You can't swim in the lake. You can't eat the perch." By 17, I had a developing environmental awareness given that upbringing, so I objected to the bumper sticker.

That didn't go over well, but what that did was, as I pursued my life's work in the trade union movement, I did so with very strong environmental convictions that stem not just from the fact that we have to take care of this precious planet but that it's in our self-interest as trade unionists to take care of this precious planet. That's how I got started, at least on the larger environmental questions.
Is Climate Change the Real Job Killer?