Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Default Re: New Mexico: After failure in Legislature, right-to-work drive shifts to counties

Quote Originally Posted by strapdrager View Post
    RTW has little effect on Unions.
    There are bigger underlying problems

The Union has come out to hand out cards where I work which I signed. But in the past weeks I was surprised at the peoples reactions. No, for several reasons. They just don't want it. Some had previous Union jobs that closed but mostly it was the foreigners that said no and the Young that said no. I was surprised on what little the company said in defense.
    Your post contradicts itself. RTW has little effect on Unions in one sentence and people don't want a Union in another. Seems to me that RTW is having a huge effect on Unions.

Signing a card has little to do with the tally on election day. Do you think your company will agree to accept the signed cards rather than force an election?

Go ahead and tell me RTW has little effect on Unions again.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

2. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Re: New Mexico: After failure in Legislature, right-to-work drive shifts to counties

After commission passes right-to-work, Lincoln County DA vows to defend it in court

This is just such BS! I wonder just how many union jobs there are in no man's land! I have been to this area. There is nothing there!

CARRIZOZO, N.M.—The home of Billy the Kid and Smokey Bear is now the third county in New Mexico to pass a right-to-work ordinance. All five Lincoln County Commissioners voted to pass the ordinance on Tuesday after less than an hour of public comment and no remarks from the commissioners themselves, except for the few words spoken during the vote.

While the commissioners had little to say about right-to-work during the public meeting, the audience was peppered with political and elected officials. Lincoln County Clerk Rhonda Burrows, Carrizozo Municipal Schools Superintendent Ricky Espinoza, Ruidoso Village Councilor Joseph Eby, 2nd Congressional District candidate Gavin Clarkson and New Mexico state Rep. Greg Nibert supported the measure during the public comment period of the meeting.

At the meeting, 12th District Attorney John Sugg also offered more than just his verbal support. Sugg, whose district includes Lincoln County, told commissioners he would help defend the county in potential lawsuits. When Sandoval County passed its right-to-work ordinance in January, two unions sued the county and its commissioners in state court. The Sandoval County attorney said in a letter to commissioners then that she felt the county would lose a lawsuit challenging the ordinance.The lawyer for those unions has since written a letter to each New Mexico county considering right-to-work legislation, warning officials of possible lawsuit if the respective ordinances pass. Sugg told commissioners to focus on policy, rather than potential lawsuits.
    After commission passes right-to-work, Lincoln County DA vows to defend it in court | The NM Political Report

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

So this is going to be my New Mexico thread. Not that many care but there are things going on here and I like to share the fact we aren't just some dust bowl here. I voted for both of these guys.

SANTA FE – New Mexico’s two Democratic senators slammed President Donald Trump on Monday for appearing at a joint news conference with Vladimir Putin and questioning the conclusion of U.S. intelligence agencies that say Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential election.

The lone Republican in New Mexico’s congressional delegation, U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce, issued a statement critical of Russia but didn’t mention Trump.

U.S. Sen. Tom Udall, a Democrat from Santa Fe and member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the president “parroted Russian propaganda.” He called it “dangerous and unprecedented” and said Republican leaders in Congress should hold hearings when Trump returns to the United States.
    Steve Pearce is running for governor against democrat Michelle Lujan Grisham. Steve is from oil county down in southern NM. A whole different bread and I am praying Michelle is our next governor.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1197397/n...ith-putin.html

5. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by ABFwife View Post
    So this is going to be my New Mexico thread. Not that many care but there are things going on here and I like to share the fact we aren't just some dust bowl here. I voted for both of these guys.

Steve Pearce is running for governor against democrat Michelle Lujan Grisham. Steve is from oil county down in southern NM. A whole different bread and I am praying Michelle is our next governor.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1197397/n...ith-putin.html
    Our states share some common ground ABFwife. The movie and television industry. Beautiful country we have out west and I want to see more and more Teamster movie hands on these sets!

7. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Our states share some common ground ABFwife. The movie and television industry. Beautiful country we have out west and I want to see more and more Teamster movie hands on these sets!

Yes, we are a big movie industry here

9. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

New Mexico stops taking fees from nonunion state workers

ALBUQUERQUE — New Mexico has stopped deducting union fees from the paychecks of more than 1,800 nonunion state workers following the U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month.

The Albuquerque Journal reported State Personnel Director Justin Najaka told employees in a memo earlier this month that the agency would immediately cease the payroll deductions.

The court had struck down the practice of “fair share” fees, ruling that non-union government workers cannot be required to financially support union activity.

Carter Bundy, the political and legislative director of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees union, says the state memo is the latest jab at labor unions. The union has about 10,000 members in New Mexico.

Bundy says more state workers have become union members since the court ruling last month.
    New Mexico stops taking fees from nonunion state workers | News in brief | santafenewmexican.com

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Hmm, I heard about this at church the other night. A fairly new member of the church was talking to me about this because she works for the state and is very pro union. Her dad is a retired ABF teamster.

New Mexico asks union workers to waive First Amendment rights
    In the wake of a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision curbing the power of public employee labor unions, the state of New Mexico has stopped deducting “fair share” fees from the wages of workers who haven’t joined the unions that represent them in contract negotiations.

The state government also stopped collecting union dues from paychecks for hundreds of workers who are union members.

While the state is asking these union members to sign forms declaring their union membership, a requirement that they also agree to waive First Amendment rights is stirring controversy.
    The controversial form distributed by the state says:

“I [name] AM A MEMBER of CWA. I authorize the State of New Mexico to withhold CWA membership dues and transmit these funds to the union. With this authorization I voluntarily and affirmatively waive my First Amendment Rights. I offer this waiver freely and represent that I was not influenced or coerced when making this decision. I understand that this election will not adversely affect my employment in any way.”
    And attorney general Hector Balderas is on it as usual!!

Union leaders pointed to a recent advisory from state Attorney General Hector Balderas that emphasized the only change under the Janus decision is that public employers may no longer deduct “fair share” fees from a nonmember’s wages and that unions can’t collect such fees from a nonmember without consent.

“The Janus decision does not affect any agreements between a union and its members to pay union dues,” Balderas wrote. “Existing agreements by union members to pay dues should continue to be honored.”
    New Mexico asks union workers to waive First Amendment rights | Local News | santafenewmexican.com

12. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

An episode of New Mexico in Focus from PBS which aired last Friday about unionization in New Mexico. Showed up on my FB and believe me I had much to say in the comment section. That second speaker you will see in the video is a republican BTW. One thing we still have on our side is that we are not a RTW state!

Episode 1210 | The Line: The Role of Labor Unions in New Mexico

Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

This is going on in our legislation right now. Hoping it is passed. So far, so good.
    SANTA FE – A bill that would bar New Mexico counties from enforcing local “right-to-work” ordinances cleared its first legislative hurdle Tuesday on a party-line vote.

The measure, House Bill 85, would stipulate that only the state could establish a law barring labor unions from collecting fees from non-union members in unionized workplaces.

“I am very optimistic that we are going to get this through the Legislature and to the governor’s desk,” Rep. Daymon Ely, D-Corrales, one of the bill’s sponsors, said in an interview after the House Labor, Veterans’ and Military Affairs Committee passed the proposal on a 6-3 vote.
    Ely also said 10 counties – along with the village of Ruidoso – should never have enacted local ordinances on the issue, especially after Attorney General Hector Balderas issued a January 2018 opinion that such ordinances would likely be struck down if challenged.
    https://www.abqjournal.com/1274482/b...work-laws.html

This is where it is at so far.

https://nmlegis.gov/Legislation/Legi...gNo=85&year=19

15. Likes 222lifer, fxstc07 Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

17. Likes 222lifer, fxstc07 Liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast