I have always thought it is not just greed, but also power and control.
First, Ricketts hates unions — as he wrote in a blog post in September, "I believe unions promote a corrosive us-against-them dynamic that destroys the esprit de corps businesses need to succeed." He leveled ominous threats before the union vote, writing: "As long as it's my money that's paying for everything, I intend to be the one making the decisions about the direction of the business." And a DNAInfo spokesperson admitted the union vote played a role in the decision, telling the Times that it was a "competitive obstacle making it harder for the business to be financially successful."
So why do wealthy businessmen hate unions? At bottom, it's a matter of power and control. Corporations are hierarchical, authoritarian institutions. Despite the fact that owners often have little or nothing to do with the day-to-day operation of the business, they demand absolute obedience from their employees. No doubt many entrepreneurs start businesses because they have an idea for a great new product. But having power over others — being in charge — is an equal if not greater motivation.

This is why Republicans have been pursuing union-busting policy with a furious intensity since the 1930s. It might help profits here and there. But it's mainly about keeping labor politically quiescent — frightened of unemployment, and willing to quietly submit to whatever terms — or abuse — the boss feels like dishing out. As Michal Kalecki wrote about why businessmen always, always hate full employment policy, despite the fact that it generally means greater profits: "'[D]iscipline in the factories' and 'political stability' are more appreciated than profits by business leaders."
https://theweek.com/articles/735118/...s-destroy-jobs