Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Default Thousands protest in Utah against Trump's monument reduction plan

Thousands protest in Utah against Trump's monument reduction plan

SALT LAKE CITY -- Thousands of protesters fired up by President Trump's expected announcement to shrink two national monuments in Utah rallied in Salt Lake City on Saturday, just two days ahead of his planned visit.

Crowds converged on the steps of the Utah State Capitol to denounce Mr. Trump's decision, many chanting and holding signs with messages such as "Protect Wild Utah." Native American groups, some in tribal dress, danced or formed drum circles.

Speakers who addressed the throngs of demonstrators included a state lawmaker and an official with the Navajo Nation.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/utah-pr...eduction-plan/

2. Likes fxstc07, 2631, fedexnuno, ABFwife, LEFT Liked this post
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Default Re: Thousands protest in Utah against Trump's monument reduction plan

Trump Is Going to Destroy 2 of the Country’s Most Beautiful National Monuments

President Donald Trump is planning to drastically shrink two national monuments in Utah. According to documents obtained by the Washington Post, Bears Ears, which is currently 1.35 million acres could be shrunk by 85 percent, and the 1.9 million acres of Grand Staircase-Escalante will be reduced by 85 percent. Trump will be announcing the proposal when he visits Salt Lake City on Monday.

The move comes after Trump asked Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke in April to review any national monument larger than 100,000 acres. Three months later, Zinke submitted a report with recommendations for reducing or eliminating 27 monuments, including Gold Butte in Nevada and Vermillion Cliffs in Arizona.

The push to shrink national monuments comes from the Trump administration’s intent to open up federally-protected land to oil, gas, and mining activities, as Mother Jones reported in August:
    Trump Is Going to Destroy 2 of the Country’s Most Beautiful National Monuments – Mother Jones

4. Likes fxstc07, 2631, fedexnuno Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

From what I read is that is Trump is giving back the land that the Obama administration took from the states to federal control.Now he is giving it back to the States.Am I missing something here.Been without my computer for almost two weeks now and I am not the best smart phone operator.

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Trump expected to announce plan to shrink Utah national monuments

"President Donald Trump is expected to announce in Utah on Monday plans to shrink the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments, a source familiar with the issue told NBC News.

The expected announcement is in keeping with a*recommendation from Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, and will come two days after thousands gathered at the state Capitol in Salt Lake City to protest the anticipated reductions.

In a statement Thursday, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, praised the expected announcement, saying that Trump was giving “the people of Utah a voice in this process.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...uments-n826116

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Trump expected to announce plan to shrink Utah national monuments

"President Donald Trump is expected to announce in Utah on Monday plans to shrink the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments, a source familiar with the issue told NBC News.

The expected announcement is in keeping with a*recommendation from Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, and will come two days after thousands gathered at the state Capitol in Salt Lake City to protest the anticipated reductions.

In a statement Thursday, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, praised the expected announcement, saying that Trump was giving “the people of Utah a voice in this process.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...uments-n826116

The article stated that the Trump supporters were claiming they want it given back to the state.You living in Utah,would you rather it be under state control or Federal control..And the story is a little misspoken. It said Something like 1.3 million acres are in the park. Where is the monument they talk about or is the monument considered the entire park..

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

National parks are protected due to their scenic, inspirational, education, and recreational value. National monuments have objects of historical, cultural, and/or scientific interest, so their content is quite varied.

National monuments protect “existing rights,” meaning, whatever you did there before it was protected as a national monument, you can probably still do after it is designated. This includes previously-existing:

Oil and gas leases
    Access to private property
    Valid mining claims
    Roads and utility infrastructure
    Livestock grazing

IMO, this is just another of Trump's efforts to undo anything Obama had did.
    Besides the fact these lands need protection and were primarily inhabited by native Americans, and should belong to them, the best way to protect the land and it's contents is the National Monument designation.

Trump is expected to reduce the 1.35-million acre Bears Ears National Monument, created by President Barack Obama in late 2016, by 85 percent. The 1.7-million acre Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, designated by President Bill Clinton in 1996, is expected to be cut in half.
    With Trump’s reductions, some of that land will now be open, again, to mineral and oil-and-gas extraction.
    Again, in my opinion, this is just another push for big oil, and big business to move in on protected land.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...nal-monuments/

9. Likes 222lifer, fedexnuno, 2631 Liked this post
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    National parks are protected due to their scenic, inspirational, education, and recreational value. National monuments have objects of historical, cultural, and/or scientific interest, so their content is quite varied.

National monuments protect “existing rights,” meaning, whatever you did there before it was protected as a national monument, you can probably still do after it is designated. This includes previously-existing:

Oil and gas leases
    Access to private property
    Valid mining claims
    Roads and utility infrastructure
    Livestock grazing

IMO, this is just another of Trump's efforts to undo anything Obama had did.
    Besides the fact these lands need protection and were primarily inhabited by native Americans, and should belong to them, the best way to protect the land and it's contents is the National Monument designation.

Again, in my opinion, this is just another push for big oil, and big business to move in on protected land.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...nal-monuments/
    Your last paragraph hit the nail on the head. These areas are rich in fossil fuels and minerals. It's all about the almighty dollar.

11. Likes fxstc07, fedexnuno, 2631 Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

I have been following this story on FB for months. One of our Senators here is fighting this. Senator Martin Heinrich. Democrat of course. Trump is the worst president we have ever had.

13. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
    I Am Rocking Now

Local Union
    Employer
    Allied

It's the people Land. Government has no right to it.

Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by strapdrager View Post
    It's the people Land. Government has no right to it.
    I never realized fossil fuel corporations were people.

16. Likes ABFwife, fedexnuno, fxstc07 Liked this post

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast