Interesting article except that I don't think it did enough to address the actual question.
On March 8, the AFL-CIO’s Energy Committee sent an open letter to Sen. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) blasting their Green New Deal resolution—a plan for a “new national, social, industrial, and economic mobilization” to tackle climate change and “achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers.”

“We will not accept proposals that could cause immediate harm to millions of our members and their families,” said the letter, signed by Cecil Roberts, president of the United Mine Workers of America, and Lonnie Stephenson, president of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. “We will not stand by and allow threats to our members’ jobs and their families’ standard of living go unanswered.” This statement follows previous remarks by the president of the United Mine Workers, who expressed concerns about the protection of jobs in the fossil fuel industry.

The science is unambiguous: To arrest climate change and protect the survival of human society, the fossil fuel industry, indeed, must be eliminated. This does not mean, however, that workers will be left to fend for themselves. The Green New Deal’s call for a just transition emerged from the demands of Indigenous, environmental justice and labor leaders in the 1980s and 1990s. It is premised on the notion that, as the Climate Justice Alliance puts it, “workers and communities impacted first and worst must lead the transition to ensure it is just.”
What It Will Take to Build Union Support for the Green New Deal—Despite the AFL-CIO