Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 million jobs lost so far, but many workers can’t access unemployment benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 million jobs lost so far, but many workers can’t access unemployment benefits

I lost my job but basically I quit over the virus danger in our office so I can't do a thing and there is more to my story that I really don't want to talk about here. Let's just say my job did not exist. My daughter applied for unemployment 5 weeks ago and still no answer. Luckily husband still works and my other two kids still have their jobs. But it is horrible to try and get benefits in NM right now. System is completely over run with applicants. Some people said they needed to talk to someone and have tried calling over 200 times a day. My daughter tried almost 50 times yesterday. She had applied online and even that has been a nightmare for some people I know. But hey, that 1200 stimulus check will take care of everything!
    WASHINGTON—Another 3.84 million people filed for jobless benefits nationwide in the prior week, the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced on April 30. That shoots the actual number of jobless due to closures caused by the coronavirus pandemic to over 30 million.

The Economic Policy Institute warns that 30 million total may actually be an undercount. Its survey of jobless people in the weeks before last week found 40% of those seeking to claim benefits from the various states couldn’t get through as the creaky unemployment systems were overloaded and crashed.

BLS’s figure was seasonally adjusted, but the actual number of claims in the week ending April 25 was 3.49 million. That’s 792,000 fewer claims than the week of April 18. But BLS also used a base of 145.79 million people in the workforce, and 30 million is more than 20% of that. BLS says, however, the “seasonally adjusted” figure—not the actual number of jobless claims—is just short of 20 million.
    “For every 10 people who said they successfully filed for unemployment benefits during the previous four weeks, three to four additional people tried to apply but could not get through the system to make a claim and two additional people did not try to apply because it was too difficult to do so.”
    https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...ment-benefits/

Re: 30 million jobs lost so far, but many workers can’t access unemployment benefits

Originally posted by ABFwife View Post
    I lost my job but basically I quit over the virus danger in our office so I can't do a thing and there is more to my story that I really don't want to talk about here. Let's just say my job did not exist. My daughter applied for unemployment 5 weeks ago and still no answer. Luckily husband still works and my other two kids still have their jobs. But it is horrible to try and get benefits in NM right now. System is completely over run with applicants. Some people said they needed to talk to someone and have tried calling over 200 times a day. My daughter tried almost 50 times yesterday. She had applied online and even that has been a nightmare for some people I know. But hey, that 1200 stimulus check will take care of everything!

https://www.peoplesworld.org/article...ment-benefits/
    I think part of the problem is the states are using very old computer systems.. The federal government knew of this problem and tried to have checks mailed directly but everyone's friend in Congress {Nancy Pelozi} insisted it be handed out by the states.. But not sure if this would have corrected the problem as for the fact that there are many people still waiting for their stimulus checks and people that not even citizens getting checks.. I read another story this week where a woman didn't get her check but did receive two checks for her parents who already have passed away and she was trying to return the money..

Comment

Working...
    X