An unfair prison sentence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unfair prison sentence

I know there has been plenty of talk about certain people getting prison sentences that seem harsh for what they did. Other claim they are innocent, yet get incarcerated anyway.
    I don't know the full story of this accident. I don't know anything about the company either. I can only judge by the limited information in this article.
    So is this a fair sentence for an "accident"?

Family of Wyoming man killed in truck crash sues driver, carrier
    The family of a man killed two years ago in a tractor-trailer crash on Interstate 80 in Albany County, Wyoming, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against a North Carolina trucking company and one of its former drivers.
    Vidal Madera, 57, of Laramie, Wyoming, died when Tonya Hightower, 48, of Wichita, Kansas, lost control of her rig while traveling westbound on I-80 around 5:15 a.m. on March 21, 2018, drove through the median and hit Madera, who was driving a 2001 Chevy Cavalier in the eastbound lane.
    The lawsuit alleged that Hightower “failed to keep a proper lookout for other vehicles, failed to drive in the proper lanes, failed to take evasive action to avoid the collision, failed to apply her brakes to avoid the collision, failed to maintain the Carolina Logistics Inc. tractor-trailer under her control and failed to use reasonable cause on the operation of a commercial vehicle.”
    The Wyoming Highway Patrol stated that Hightower fell asleep while driving, which caused her to cross the median and slam into Madera’s vehicle, according to the Laramie Boomerang.
    Hightower was sentenced to 10 to 20 years in prison in November, three months after an Albany County jury found her guilty of aggravated homicide by vehicle.
    This driver fell asleep. It was an accident, deadly and catastrophic, but an accident.
    For this, a driver gets a 10 to 20 year prison sentence ?
    Either we don't know the full story, or this is another case of a different judicial system for different classes of people.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/fa...driver-carrier
    Last edited by fxstc07; 05-04-2020, 07:07 PM.

Re: An unfair prison sentence

When WHP Trooper Dustin Ragon responded to the accident, Hightower told him she “did not know what happened and that she just lost control of the vehicle.”
    Ragon asked whether Madera’s car had been parked when Hightower struck it.
    “I hit a car?” she responded. Hightower told the trooper that before the wreck, she had taken some leftover pills from a 2017 surgery, including hydrocodone.
    read this whole article. Look how far she kept going after the crash and she had no idea she hit anything per the state troper

Hightower’s truck drove through the 75-foot median and entered the eastbound lanes, striking Madera’s red sedan.
    Through a 75 foot median before the impact
    After Hightower struck Madera’s sedan, her vehicle continued southwest, leaving the interstate before passing through a wire fence and coming to a stop in a field.
    I believe this is the "more to the story" She admitted to the trooper that she had taken some leftover pills from a 2017 surgery, including hydrocodone.

https://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/n...1b6121b68.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      read this whole article. Look how far she kept going after the crash and she had no idea she hit anything per the state troper

Through a 75 foot median before the impact

I believe this is the "more to the story" She admitted to the trooper that she had taken some leftover pills from a 2017 surgery, including hydrocodone.

https://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/n...1b6121b68.html
      That explains it a little better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

After all that she said 'I hit a car"? just damn

Comment

Working...
        X