cooking with cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooking with cast iron

I've got an old cast iron Wagner skillet , a large one, 11.75 x 2. I don't know if it belonged to mom or
    gramma , (maybe both). It was tucked away for years in a kitchen cabinet , and unfortuatly must have
    been put away wet as it had surface rust.

I scrubbed the rust off , with steel wool , down to the original cast iron gray finish. I "seasoned" it with
    bacon grease and then fried a couple hamburgers and they were great. better than frying in a modern
    slick non-stick pan.

How about some suggestions for cooking and the care of cast iron?

Re: cooking with cast iron

Originally posted by x475 View Post
    I've got an old cast iron Wagner skillet , a large one, 11.75 x 2. I don't know if it belonged to mom or
    gramma , (maybe both). It was tucked away for years in a kitchen cabinet , and unfortuatly must have
    been put away wet as it had surface rust.

I scrubbed the rust off , with steel wool , down to the original cast iron gray finish. I "seasoned" it with
    bacon grease and then fried a couple hamburgers and they were great. better than frying in a modern
    slick non-stick pan.

How about some suggestions for cooking and the care of cast iron?
    I have used mine to bake cornbread in it and once the corn bread was done I almost immediately put it on the stove top to fry up some potato's. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Never submerge in water to clean.I use paper towels to wipe out pan completely after use and try to store somewhere that isn't damp.The old pans that were made in the USA are much easier to season and keep seasoned than newer imported pans.If taken care of properly they will last forever.

Comment

I have one and after I use it I wash it and dry it and last wipe it with cooking Oil...that’s the way I was thought to preserve it.
        But everybody has different ways to preserve their utensils
        Last edited by fedexnuno; 05-19-2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I love my cast iron pans! Some were given to me by my mom when I first left home, some from thrift stores. Were you guys aware you actually get iron in your diet from cooking in these pans? They are the best for making chili beans or green chile stew!

Comment

Great answers , thanks.
            So is seasoning needed on a regular basis , or is once enough ?

Comment

Great answers , thanks.
              So is seasoning needed on a regular basis , or is once enough ?
              I think as long as your not scrubbing the grease or oil out of the pan, seasoning isn't necessary after every use.Also after using and wiping clean we usually place in oven on low heat for about 1/2 hr,not sure what that actually does.
              There are many different procedures, seems you have to try all ways to see what best suits you.

Comment

Originally posted by 1484-1075 View Post
                I think as long as your not scrubbing the grease or oil out of the pan, seasoning isn't necessary after every use.Also after using and wiping clean we usually place in oven on low heat for about 1/2 hr,not sure what that actually does.
                There are many different procedures, seems you have to try all ways to see what best suits you.
                That's a good idea to heat the pan in the oven. Cast iron is porous.

I clean with hot water only. By that I mean HOT! No detergents.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

I think using the steel wool on it did more harm than good.

Comment

Perhaps , but it did get the rust off.

I used it this morning , fried up some hash browns. It cleaned up well with
                    just a paper towel , hash browns didn't stick. Im going to keep using it following
                    the advice … hot water rinse , short dry in the oven then a light rub down with oil.

This is another one of those things that I wish Mom was still around to ask !

Comment

just a paper towel , hash browns didn't stick. Im going to keep using it following
                      the advice … hot water rinse , short dry in the oven then a light rub down with oil.

Me too because I never even knew you were supposed to do this! Wondering if my mom did.....

Comment

As I recall, my mother only wiped the pan out after use, then used a dab of the bacon grease that always sat in a jar by the stove, and wiped it in the pan. Never saw her put it in the oven except to cook something in it.

Comment

I was thinking about the old timers , cast iron was pretty much it for them. They didn't have
                          these new-fangled nonstick pans.

The cook on the cattle drive probably just threw some lard in the skillet , fried up the grub , then
                          wiped it "clean" with an old rag. Hung it in the chuck wagon till morning.

Comment

I was thinking about the old timers , cast iron was pretty much it for them. They didn't have
                            these new-fangled nonstick pans.

The cook on the cattle drive probably just threw some lard in the skillet , fried up the grub , then
                            wiped it "clean" with an old rag. Hung it in the chuck wagon till morning.
                            I do not cook with the non stick anymore. That stuff starts peeling after so long and they know for a fact it is dangerous to our health. Of course after we all cooked with them for years....Remember Teflon pans?

Comment

I usually put oil in it once i am done using it and use a paper towel and rub the inside with the oil and store it just like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X