X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoPar muscle and the 413 wedge !

Almost missed posting this today.
    It is 4/13 ...
    Calling all motorheads, gearheads and people that love cars, racing and the smell of gasoline at the drag strip. Not to mention laid back car shows on a Saturday afternoon.
    I grew up during the late 60's and drag racing was the thing in my area. MoPar's were my ride and I drool over the old stuff now.
    Here is the story on the early "orange monsters" and the famous Max Wedge engines, with cross ram manifold and two 4 barrel carbs dumping a ton of fuel into that engine.
    Here is a picture I took at a car show with a restored 1962 Dodge Dart with the 413 Max Wedge. This car run S/S A at the drags in those days. ( Super Stock automatic )
    20180316_130346.jpg

Here is the story behind those famous Max Wedge engines.

4/13: All hail the 413 Max Wedge
    Imagine this: It’s the ’60s, a fresh decade of optimism, and new competition across Detroit has you designing the successor to your employer’s hemispherical V-8, which was once ground-breaking but now is limited by displacement. What’s your solution?
    Chrysler introduced the Wedge in 1958 to counter pressure from Pontiac, Ford and Chevrolet, and this engine departed from the Pentastar brand’s notorious family of Hemis. The major change was in the shape of the combustion chamber, which dumped the Hemi’s salad bowl chambers and splayed valves (along with the associated pair of rocker shafts for each head) for what we now would call a more “conventional,” wedge-shaped combustion chamber with the intake and exhaust valves arranged in a line.
    The “Maximum Performance Wedge” was introduced in Dodge and Plymouth models as the Ramcharger 413 and Super Stock 413, respectively. Chrysler distilled the past four years of 413 competition experience into this feisty Wedge, first by taking the massive cross-ram intake and compressing it into short-runner design that improved top-end horsepower; the standard long-runner, in comparison, showed a propensity for low-end torque.
    https://www.hagerty.com/media/automo...413-max-wedge/

Re: MoPar muscle and the 413 wedge !

Yesterday when I posted the thread 413, I notice I flipped the one picture I added sideways.
    Here is a better look at that engine bay, along with a shot of the car itself.
    Plus I threw in a another of the old Mopar's from days gone by.
    At our local drag strip, the old Mopars still come out to play.

20180316_130346.jpg
    The car with the max wedge.
    20180316_130425.jpg
    The white car is a later version with a 426 wedge motor. Not the famous 426 HEMI.
    20181014_125227.jpg

Comment

Mopar or no car!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

My brother Had a 67 Dodge hemi.. My 66 Buick gran sport ran circles around him..

Comment

Originally posted by crazy View Post
            My brother Had a 67 Dodge hemi.. My 66 Buick gran sport ran circles around him..
            HAAA you wish lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              Does she still look as clean and bright today ?

This is a pic from last summer. My buddy and I heading off to a local car show.
              cat & cuda.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post

Pretty much does. and that challenger is the bomb for sure.... RED rules Hell Cat?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                    HAAA you wish lol
                    Yeah the HA HA is on you.. I blew his doors off.. But I should say his was stock and mine was more like fine tuned..

Comment

I still hang with the Mopar guys all these years later.
                      The Cat is one wild ride, but the 6 barrel Cuda is no slouch either.
                      The silver 67 Satellite has been owned by a friend since new. It currently holds several NHRA records in E/S. 440, 4 barrel, 4 speed, stock !
                      We do the car shows all summer and the drag strip in-between.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Jimmy; 04-15-2020, 05:53 PM. Reason: rotated image

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post

the pic I posted earlier was from 2010 and this one is from today and I did not do any cleaning... just raised the hood up for the pic and check the oil
                        Attached Files

Comment

You can see I added a new cold air intake also. by the dyno chart that came in the box it gave about 45-50 more HP if im remember correct.

Comment

my dad had one of these. 1968 Plymouth sport fury 3.... auto with a 383 in it. It had finder skirts and I remember having to reach up in there and move this lever to take it off to wash the wheels and stuff

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Jimmy; 05-14-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

After a little maintenance, it's off to the detailers for Ceramic coating, including the wheels. The brake dust from the Brembo's gets all over the wheels. Now it should just rinse off.
                              A little cleaning, and a little pride keeps the ride looking shiny and new.
                              Jimmy, your ride looks great. Still looks new under the hood !

Comment

Working...
                              X