MoPar muscle and the 413 wedge !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MoPar muscle and the 413 wedge !

Read this article talking about street racers getting a dedicated spot to race.
    Now I was part of the street racing scene in the late 60's and early 70's before regulations and the police shut it all down.
    I don't advocate for this type of street racing any longer because of several things, mostly the outrageous fast cars today and the numbers of people that could be involved in a crash.
    I also feel the show in TV ( Street Outlaws ) is bogus. While those race cars have always been part of the street racing scene, but in all my years I never saw a race on the streets with a full out race car like they portray in the TV show.

Atlanta Could Get Dedicated Area For Street Racing
    While most people are staying indoors and going to bed once the sun goes down, the streets are mostly empty in even the biggest cities. While the police are still out in full force, it's the streets of Atlanta, Georgia that seem to be getting busier, but with the sound of burnouts, donuts, and cars going way above posted speed limits. It's a problem that has compounded these past few weeks, and while the fines have been raised in an effort to deter bad behavior, the issue has gotten so out of hand that city officials are considering more creative ways to take the hooliganism off public roads.
    Bloomberg Associates, a municipal consulting agency set up by New York's former mayor of the same last name, has been working closely with Atlanta officials. Their mission is to come up with solutions to stop illegal street racing in the city. But the idea they've been considering the most comes from Mayor Keisha Lance Bottom's 18-year-old son – by setting up a designated space for street racing and its associated antics. "Along with Bloomberg, who we’ve reached out to help us do some benchmarking and assessment of what’s happening in other cities has been to consider a designated space for street racing,” said Mayor Bottoms while addressing the Atlanta's City Council over the phone. According to The Drive, other cities have also considered a similar idea even before the coronavirus, stating that Detroit had sanctioned some sideshows in early March, resulting in a few accidents with spectators but no major injuries. Jalopnik ran a story on this, too. More importantly, the general public was not inconvenienced or in danger during these events.
    https://www.motor1.com/news/423667/a...t-racing-area/

Comment

I thought I wouldn't read anything else about the street racing article in Atlanta that I posted above.
      Seems the cops came out in full force, both local and state, to stop the street racing this weekend.
      It's going to cost those people a lot of money, for tickets and impound fees.

Atlanta Police Arrest 44, Impound 29 Cars In Huge Street Racing Bust
      There’s a major problem with street racing in Atlanta. In fact, the problem has become so bad that some out-of-the-box solutions are being considered to address this issue, including designating a public area for would-be racers and drifters to get their game on. Whether that ultimately becomes a reality won’t matter to the 44 people who were arrested over the weekend in a major crackdown by Atlanta police.
      For that matter, the 29 folks who had their cars impounded might not have rides to enjoy a publically sanctioned area for racing. In addition, 114 tickets were handed out in what WSB-TV reports was a full-on bust by multiple law enforcement agencies. In addition to Atlanta police, the Georgia State Patrol and officers from two counties assisted in the weekend-long effort. Illegal racing has long been an issue in the city, but reports suggest it’s become an even bigger problem in recent weeks with the Coronavirus pandemic leading to emptier streets and pent-up frustration.
      https://www.motor1.com/news/423958/a...t-racing-bust/

Comment

The evolution of the Challenger.

https://yeahmotor.com/cars/challenger-evolution/?v=1

Comment

Went to my first "car" outing this morning since the first couple of months worth of car shows and meets were canceled.
          This car event is usually filled with high end stuff because the area is a mecca for the young, wealthy and elite crowd.
          The Ferrari and Porsche guys were drowned out by a major Mopar muscle invasion today. While there is a little of everything, there is always one I gravitate towards due to rarity or personal taste.
          Here is two pics showcasing two generations.
          The 1970 Cuda AAR is an original unrestored classic that you just don't see many of.

The next one, a 1958 Ford, was from an earlier era of hot rods and cool cars. Notice the "lake" pipes ? Under the hood was a chromed out V-8 with 3 two barrel carbs !

Comment

Yep, I'm a MoPar fanatic. Had to post up this article about the Chrysler Turbine car from the 1960's. I remember being at the New York World's Fair 1964. Chrysler had a nice exhibit with a small track. The Turbine car would circle the track and the sound it made was out of this world.
            Today there are only 9 Turbine cars left. The other 46 cars, of a run of 55 test units, were all scrapped.

The Story Of Jay Leno's Turbine-Powered Chrysler
            In 1962, Chrysler delivered 50 turbine-powered cars to families across the country for testing. The Chrysler Turbine is incredibly rare; Only 55 were produced during its test runs, 46 of which were melted into scrap. Jay Leno, no stranger to the acquisition of unique cars, was able to obtain one in 2008 from the Walter P. Chrysler Museum. The car was built in Italy by Carrozzeria Ghia and the engine could make 130hp and 425 lb-ft of torque.
            Discussing its special significance, Leno said “I think it's the most collectible American car—it was so different. Most of all, the Chrysler Turbine is a reminder that all the cool stuff used to be made in the U.S. I hope it will be again.”

https://www.hotcars.com/story-jay-le...ered-chrysler/

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
              Yep, I'm a MoPar fanatic. Had to post up this article about the Chrysler Turbine car from the 1960's. I remember being at the New York World's Fair 1964. Chrysler had a nice exhibit with a small track. The Turbine car would circle the track and the sound it made was out of this world.
              Today there are only 9 Turbine cars left. The other 46 cars, of a run of 55 test units, were all scrapped.

The Story Of Jay Leno's Turbine-Powered Chrysler

https://www.hotcars.com/story-jay-le...ered-chrysler/
              Not meant to hijack here but Jay Leno is a car guys car guy. I'm not sure if he has a show about his collection or not. I have seen his shop and cars on Dennis Gauge's show "My Classic Car." Leno owns cars many people didn't know exist. Worth the watch for sure.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 222lifer View Post
                Not meant to hijack here but Jay Leno is a car guys car guy. I'm not sure if he has a show about his collection or not. I have seen his shop and cars on Dennis Gauge's show "My Classic Car." Leno owns cars many people didn't know exist. Worth the watch for sure.
                There is a great show, lots of cars and celebrities ( if your into that ) featured on Jay Leno's Garage. It plays sometimes on cable TV, I can get it on Comcast on-demand.
                Here is a link to youtube and his channel there. Enough car related content for any motorhead.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQM...L38KPm8kM-4Adg
                Last edited by fxstc07; 08-30-2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Traveled 100 miles into central New Jersey for an "All Mopar" car show. Can you say a group of dedicated fanatics ?
                  The middle area on the west side of jersey has a lot of beautiful rollings hills dotted with farms.
                  I used my old New Penn truck route, north on rt. 31 to get most of the way there. This little town called Califon had a population under 2000 people.
                  The green Superbird won it's class. It was a trailer queen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

them are some nice looking cars for sure

Comment

While this story isn't about street cars and collectibles, it is about Leah Pruett's recent crash in her Top Fuel Mopar dragster.
                      A wild ride is an understatement.

Leah Pruett walks away after Top Fuel crash at Midwest Nationals
                      During the second round of eliminations at the MoparExpress Lane NHRA Midwest Nationals presented by Pennzoil in Madison, Ill., Top Fuel driver Leah Pruett’s 2020 dragster broke off and became airborne before coming to a rest. Pruett exited the car under her own power.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2020/leah-...pVXbf6wemQcxkk

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
                        While this story isn't about street cars and collectibles, it is about Leah Pruett's recent crash in her Top Fuel Mopar dragster.
                        A wild ride is an understatement.

Leah Pruett walks away after Top Fuel crash at Midwest Nationals

https://www.nhra.com/news/2020/leah-...pVXbf6wemQcxkk
                        That was one wicked ride! Holy cow!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X