American Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Hero

I wonder where Modly gave that speech from? Was he topside or cowering in the safety of a sterilized room on shore?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 222lifer; 04-07-2020, 04:11 PM. Reason: Spelled tossed under the bus Modly wrong

Comment

I talked to someone who used to be in the army and works for the DOD now. He says it was wrong and right. the man did what he did to protect his crew. Things from DC was coming to slow for him. He did compromise some military information in doing this though

Comment

I will say this. Our military should keep everything quiet about our status. Downfalls or problems or powers just not to help the enemy try something on us when we aren't prepared as before ....

Comment

The technology that is employed in today's Navy is state of the art. Our enemies know where we are and our status so don't buy into that line we were compromised buy his actions. We don't have stealth technology for aircraft carriers. The medical facilities on board were being overwhelmed. That being said, the battle readiness of that carrier was sliding rapidly into the abyss. By putting in, he not only saved the crew, he kept billions of our tax dollars from harm.

Comment

This article came from the "Military Times".
            Mr. Trump has decided to add his comments on this.

Trump stepping in as dispute intensifies over aircraft carrier captain’s dismissal
            President Donald Trump weighed in Monday on a subject already fraught with divisive opinion, saying he “may get involved” in the COVID-19 controversy plaguing the polarizing aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt following a speech by acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly to the ship’s crew.
            “You know what, you have two good people and they’re arguing,” Trump said Monday during a White House briefing. “And I’m good, believe it or not, at settling arguments. I’m good at settling these arguments. So I may look into it in great detail. And I’ll be able to figure it out very fast.”
            The “two good people” referenced by Trump are Navy Capt. Brett Crozier, relieved from his command after sending out a plea to evacuate most of the ship’s crew in the wake of a coronavirus outbreak on board, and Modly, who blasted Crozier’s handling of the situation Monday morning in Guam, adding more fuel to a public relations conflagration that is bedeviling the sea service.
            In his briefing, the president criticized Crozier for sending the leaked letter over a non-secure email to “20 or 30” recipients, saying the captain should have charted a different course of action.
            President Trump’s involvement as mediator, meanwhile, comes as the dispute reaches a fever pitch.
            In his remarks Monday, the president appeared to take a more lenient view of Crozier than Navy brass has thus far.
            “We don’t want to have letter-writing campaigns where the fake news finds a letter and gets a leak. We don’t want that,” Trump said Monday.
            “With all of that said, his career prior to that was very good. ... He started off as a helicopter pilot. They called him ‘Chopper.’ He was a great helicopter pilot, it’s a tremendous skill. I know a lot about helicopters.
            Is there anything Mr. Perfect, the very stable genius doesn't know a lot about ?

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...l-intensifies/

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...id/ar-BB12hGZ0

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly has submitted his resignation a day after a leaked audio showed him calling the ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew, according to a US official and a former senior military official.

Comment

Originally posted by 2631 View Post
                https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...id/ar-BB12hGZ0
                "Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly has submitted his resignation a day after a leaked audio showed him calling the ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew, according to a US official and a former senior military official."
                "Acting" Navy Secretary Modly. There's been quite a few "acting" like they are qualified. No confirmation of this guy. Gee, I wonder why? Only the best, most qualified.

That speech he gave wasn't the best choice. That's how it goes in boot licker land. He probably thought it would be praised by the CinC. It probably was, that is, until the backlash came. Under the bus you go. We know the story. What was his name again? I don't know him.

Modly should be thankful he wasn't given an "extreme" tour of the ship and sent for swimming lessons from the flight deck.

Comment

Originally posted by 222lifer View Post
                  "Acting" Navy Secretary Modly. There's been quite a few "acting" like they are qualified. No confirmation of this guy. Gee, I wonder why? Only the best, most qualified.

That speech he gave wasn't the best choice. That's how it goes in boot licker land. He probably thought it would be praised by the CinC. It probably was, that is, until the backlash came. Under the bus you go. We know the story. What was his name again? I don't know him.

Modly should be thankful he wasn't given an "extreme" tour of the ship and sent for swimming lessons from the flight deck.

Wondering why he was never confirmed?? That's on Senator Schumer who holds up everything.. Kinda like what McConnell did to Obama.. Politics in Washington? Priceless..

As far as resigning?? I agree after that memo leaked he should resign or more than likely he would have been fired by Trump after Trump said he would get involved in it..

Comment

Just a follow up .. Maybe the Captain gets his ship back..

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-wont...virus-outbreak

An internal investigation into a leaked letter that led to the commander of the Navy's USS Theodore Roosevelt being fired has concluded and Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Michael Gilday said Thursday that “all options are on the table," and he is not ruling out reinstating Capt. Brett Crozier to his position.

Comment

More on the story.....

The Navy Is Losing Its Fight Against the Coronavirus

"While the rest of the country has gone to war with the coronavirus, the sailors of the USS:\Roosevelt:\have also gone to war with their bosses. As the COVID-19 outbreak:\spread rapidly across the warship, Capt. Brett Crozier desperately tried to get his sailors off board and treated. When his efforts were initially stymied, he sent an angry letter to Navy brass, which was then seen by the public. Navy leadership publicly imploded, and Crozier was relieved of duty, to the ire of his sailors. Now, Crozier and nearly 300 of the:\Roosevelt’s shipmates have tested positive for the virus. It’s a story worth paying attention to, not only because it’s a stark example of the massive gulf between civilian and government leadership in the midst of the pandemic, but also because it shows that military might is not enough to deal with this new global battle.

On:\Thursday’s episode of What Next, I spoke with Adam Weinstein, the national security editor at the New Republic, about the outbreak on the:\Roosevelt:\and the myriad ways the virus is afflicting the Navy and the military. Our conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity." Read more.....

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...secretary.html

Comment

Sad news from the US Navy . A sailor on the stricken aircraft carrier had passed due to the coronavirus.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-sai...-officials-say

A U.S. sailor who was admitted to the intensive care unit at a Navy hospital in Guam after contracting the coronavirus has died, Navy officials said Monday.

The sailor, who was admitted into the ICU on April 9, died Monday from COVID-related complications at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Guam.

Comment

Here is a blistering commentary on the military actions against Captain Crozier. It goes on to say this administration has eroded military relations over the last three years.
                          Here we've been told by a few members how great the military has been under the of Trump regime. Seems not all feel that way.
                          I will add more quotes to this interesting commentary due to it's significance.

The Theodore Roosevelt episode was no isolated incident, but a portent of worse to come
                          The recent imbroglio involving the firing of the Captain of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt and the subsequent resignation by Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly, has provided a spectacle of theater to rival the Tiger King in capturing the attention of a quarantine weary country.
                          Now it appears that Modly misrepresented the dissemination of Crozier’s e mail as being significantly more careless than the distribution list implied. It was addressed to Crozier’s commanding officer, Rear Adm. Stuart Baker, U.S. Pacific Fleet commander Adm. John Aquilino, and Naval Air Forces commander Vice Adm. DeWolfe Miller, thus invalidating Modly’s claim that Crozier had bypassed his chain of command. Nevertheless, Modly relieved Crozier of his duties.
                          Unfortunately, this astonishing episode was no isolated incident, but rather another disturbing manifestation of the current administration’s drive to politicize the military. The skipper’s relief and the secretary’s self-immolation were interesting grist for the news cycle, but this dismal story points at a darker problem.
                          As several commentators have recently observed, the norms of civil military relations have over the last three years have steadily been eroded. When norms are continuously violated without anyone making a stand to defend them, they simply cease to be norms — the exceptions accrete into a new rule. That should be of concern, not just to the US military which has always prided itself on being apolitical, but to the country as a whole, whose democratic values depend in part on a healthy relationship between the military and its civilian leadership.
                          From the beginning of this administration, it became clear that this president didn’t necessarily understand or respect the terms of the implicit contract, grounded largely on Harvard scholar Samuel Huntington’s 1957 classic The Soldier and the State, that has, throughout successive administrations, helped maintain what has been mostly a well-balanced civil military relationship, based on mutual respect and trust.
                          One of the terms of this unique social contract is that the men and women who comprise the armed services, who are all taught at entry that they must keep their political beliefs and military duties separate, should not be used as political props.
                          The last term of the implicit contract between the military and its civilian leadership is a reminder to both of the obligation that all military members take to support and defend the constitution, not the president or his administration.
                          https://www.militarytimes.com/opinio...worse-to-come/

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
                            Here is a blistering commentary on the military actions against Captain Crozier. It goes on to say this administration has eroded military relations over the last three years.
                            Here we've been told by a few members how great the military has been under the of Trump regime. Seems not all feel that way.
                            I will add more quotes to this interesting commentary due to it's significance.

The Theodore Roosevelt episode was no isolated incident, but a portent of worse to come

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinio...worse-to-come/
                            I can tell you first hand what our defenders think of our CIC. It isn't what is in his mind for sure. I will leave it at that and let the words of his now resigned "acting" boot licker be the epitaph. Don't think for a second that wasn't the message the CIC wanted. It soured as fast as it left the "actings" mouth and CIC threw the "acting" directly under the bus.

Comment

To little, to late would be what I say.
                              After another bungled attempt to suppress anyone that speaks out, the Navy says Captain Crozier should get his job back.
                              Except the final decision is up to the defense secretary.

Reinstate Capt. Crozier to USS Roosevelt, Navy Tells Esper, According to Reports
                              Senior Navy officials have recommended to Defense Secretary Mark Esper that Capt. Brett Crozier, the commander who was fired after warning that the crew of the coronavirus-stricken USS Theodore Roosevelt was in danger, be restored to command of the aircraft carrier, according to multiple news reports.

The decision now rests with Esper. It was not immediately clear whether he plans to accept the recommendation, which represents yet another dramatic turn in the saga surrounding the Roosevelt. Crozier’s removal by then-Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly earlier this month sparked a tumultuous series of events that culminated in Modly’s resignation.

“[Esper]’s going into this with an open mind and he’s generally inclined to support Navy leadership and their positions,” top Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told reporters in a morning briefing, before the defense secretary had received the Navy’s recommendation.
                              https://www.defenseone.com/politics/...ref=d-topictop

Comment

Originally posted by fxstc07 View Post
                                To little, to late would be what I say.
                                After another bungled attempt to suppress anyone that speaks out, the Navy says Captain Crozier should get his job back.
                                Except the final decision is up to the defense secretary.

Reinstate Capt. Crozier to USS Roosevelt, Navy Tells Esper, According to Reports

https://www.defenseone.com/politics/...ref=d-topictop
                                Better "think before you act" is all I can say and even then Esper may find himself under the bus and among those that are on the "didn't know him" list.

Comment

Working...
                                X