Lets talk YRC 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk YRC 2020

I haven't been on line much talking about YRC. This company completely sucks. Its nothing but a paycheck and health insurance. If I didn't have 32 years I would have walked away and found something else. 32 years at age 55 in central states. So you know what im looking at like 1000's are. Die before you can retire and its not even going to be there if you make the age.

Re: Lets talk YRC 2020

Who will contribute to the pensions when automation takes over the trucks and forklifts?
    UPS is testing the trucks and past union leadership has allowed them to do much that they want...and once it starts it usually doesn't go back.
    If the membership saw this..and what the result will probably be...Im sure they'd want it stopped.
    Just like the Mexican cross-border trucking.
    It needs to be stopped imo.
    Life and nation isn't all about the company. It shouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      I haven't been on line much talking about YRC. This company completely sucks. Its nothing but a paycheck and health insurance. If I didn't have 32 years I would have walked away and found something else. 32 years at age 55 in central states. So you know what im looking at like 1000's are. Die before you can retire and its not even going to be there if you make the age.
      What's there to talk about above and beyond what you stated? They have never bounced a paycheck on me.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 222lifer View Post
        What's there to talk about above and beyond what you stated? They have never bounced a paycheck on me.

I was just trying to get a discussion going on about YRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How about when YRC took their two highly profitable regional carriers and thought they could make them better. Holland and New Penn were money makers and now they barely break even. Old saying was you can't fix something that wasn't broken. YRC tried and they broke them. Sad to see what has happened..

Comment

Originally posted by crazy View Post
            How about when YRC took their two highly profitable regional carriers and thought they could make them better. Holland and New Penn were money makers and now they barely break even. Old saying was you can't fix something that wasn't broken. YRC tried and they broke them. Sad to see what has happened..
            They say they are working on getting us back to profitable again....salespeople have been coming in regularly talking to drivers.

I don't know how it all works but there's been many changes since Roadway bought NPME. Who knows what they see coming ahead of time?
            But the 53's came right near the driver shortage....and the 53 was a major change.....concessions...driver shortage...53's......a very fast damage free system full of drivers....became a slow system short on drivers...with lots of damage and very late leave times for morning peddles.
            Then they cut our area..big.
            But the DC'S were being built and continue being built...lots and lots of them.
            I don't think DC'S with nice square shrinkwrapped pallets was our major thing.
            Maybe not much money in it compared to manufacturers with all kinds of loose stuff and various shapes and sizes.
            We still get some of that.but our area has shrunk. We wouldn't be able to handle our old area at all with the amount of drivers we have and using thec53.
            For awhile we were not getting out till late and almost couldn't get our pickups due to time....but management and sales people were told by drivers maybe to reduce back to stuff which pays so we can get out earlier and make our pickups too.......so now there seems to be reduction...and sales are in talking to drivers and getting some freight......and another COO approaches....we will see how it works and how many drivers stay after it starts...
            I see automated trucks in the future in the industry ...and I'm wondering if they are making these velocity terminals with that in mind....damages seem to have dropped only from what I see.
            That's just my views...others could see it all totally differently.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy View Post
              Actually YRCW did that and yeah holland and new pen made good money. I do believe if it weren’t for the housing crash that we would be in a much better place. That cost zillions across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by slavenomore View Post
                They say they are working on getting us back to profitable again....salespeople have been coming in regularly talking to drivers.

I don't know how it all works but there's been many changes since Roadway bought NPME. Who knows what they see coming ahead of time?
                But the 53's came right near the driver shortage....and the 53 was a major change.....concessions...driver shortage...53's......a very fast damage free system full of drivers....became a slow system short on drivers...with lots of damage and very late leave times for morning peddles.
                Then they cut our area..big.
                But the DC'S were being built and continue being built...lots and lots of them.
                I don't think DC'S with nice square shrinkwrapped pallets was our major thing.
                Maybe not much money in it compared to manufacturers with all kinds of loose stuff and various shapes and sizes.
                We still get some of that.but our area has shrunk. We wouldn't be able to handle our old area at all with the amount of drivers we have and using thec53.
                For awhile we were not getting out till late and almost couldn't get our pickups due to time....but management and sales people were told by drivers maybe to reduce back to stuff which pays so we can get out earlier and make our pickups too.......so now there seems to be reduction...and sales are in talking to drivers and getting some freight......and another COO approaches....we will see how it works and how many drivers stay after it starts...
                I see automated trucks in the future in the industry ...and I'm wondering if they are making these velocity terminals with that in mind....damages seem to have dropped only from what I see.
                That's just my views...others could see it all totally differently.
                I though roadway left new penn alone and let them run like always. I though YRCW made the bad changes to new penn. as far as 53 foot trailers I really don’t care about that. We been using them in the city where I’m at prolly 25-30 years now.

Comment

I was just trying to get a discussion going on about YRC

Let me clarify my question. It wasn't what more could be said, it was what can I add.

I could also say that if there was a way to lose money, YRC will find it.

Comment

Let me clarify my question. It wasn't what more could be said, it was what can I add.

I could also say that if there was a way to lose money, YRC will find it.

Agree for sure

Comment

I though roadway left new penn alone and let them run like always. I though YRCW made the bad changes to new penn. as far as 53 foot trailers I really don’t care about that. We been using them in the city where I’m at prolly 25-30 years now.

Yes. YRC wanted 53's.
                      53's don't belong here and don't work well with next day northeast service. Less touching the freight. Bridges, tunnels, unsurpassed..NYC.......it could all be done easily with 12'6" 45' trailers....narrow ones...no roll barn doors.
                      Big trailers are mostly used for the road....but headers on 45's made it smooth....now headers come in on 53 or 48 and they want to leave them on....
                      Since the DC'S are being built everywhere new signs appeared everywhere.....no trailers over 45 foot.....so if on 48 or 53...you have to go longer ways to get places.....time was a concern.....everything about YRC takes time.....
                      The driver shortage may have had a role ...there were always drivers waiting like a relay race to pull the 45...it went from floor to floor with very little to no stacking....then it took awhile to teach putting load bars up and putting it all up there and under there....all time consuming BS.....wrecked alot of freight. Always handling it...slow slow slow......maybe foreseeing driver shortage did it...the more ya handle it...more chance for damage.
                      Our city only uses 53 pretty much in industrial parks and Distribution center runs.
                      We do Baltimore to Maine..old tight towns.

Comment

When I first came to New Penn I believe they had eight or ten 53 footers. Swinging doors and were basically linehaul only and for big head loads. I know in Newburgh in January we would get in about five fully loaded with pool chemicals going to one customer. Then they started getting more and more. Outbound loads were now being combined from one destination to two destinations . Linehaul was getting out later at night and loads were getting in later in the mornings. .. Then they started using them during the day. We had one meester who loved it. He could take combined peddle runs and make sure he got his twenty hours of overtime . He was eagerly doing this when guys on the bottom were sitting home.. But as always it blew up on them as afternoon pickups were missed because they didn't have enough guys in. Then YRC had their money problems and started selling all most of the new terminals . They had a word for it, snergy. Then came the engineers to tell a guy how to peddle Frieght . Engineers who were booked learned and street stupid. Our steward did the same run for as long as I was there. He normally would be the last guy to leave the building in the morning and he knew his run. Always made all his deliveries and all his pickups. Well until the engineers came in. Best was though one night he came in when I was on the dock and the engineer came out of the office and told him he did a good job after looking at the computer read out. That day the steward brought back five stops and missed three pick ups because he didn't have room.. They had to send another guy into his area to make the pick ups.. It is sad what they did to New Penn and from what I heard they did the same thing to Holland..

Comment

Im hearing a strong RUMOR that the merger of YRC and Holland isn't far away.

Comment

Im hearing a strong RUMOR that the merger of YRC and Holland isn't far away.
                            That's more fact than a rumor. They need to shrink it down.

Comment

That's more fact than a rumor. They need to shrink it down.

They have been shrinking it since the merger in what was it 2004?? Merged the list,layed off all the younger guys and then proceeded to set the Guiness record of workers comp claims.. Then they cried about it. The management don't know how to run anything except to the bank with their bonuses

Comment

Working...
                              X