Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    NewsBot

Talking Motorsports Hall of Fame to induct six in 2008 (AP)

Robert "Red" Byron, the first driver to win a NASCAR points championship, is among a diverse group to be inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. The six-person Class of 2008, announced Thursday, also includes Art Arfons, Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins, Frank Kurtis, Everett "Cotton" Owens and Ralph Seagraves.

More...

Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Motorsports Hall of Fame to induct six in 2008 (AP)

I was an avid watcher of NASCAR until the sport priced itself from reality. Never liked big tracks either. Short tracks command the action, in my opinion.
    So this story is about an induction to the NASCAR hall of fame. A driver I watched as a fan, while understanding his talent would lead him to fame and fortune. Sadly his life was cut short in a helicopter accident at leaving the Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway.
    Some people can ride on their family's name. Others have the name along with the talent. Davey had both.

Davey Allison’s contributions to NASCAR never to be forgotten with Hall of Fame induction
    Davey Allison was perhaps the original “can’t miss” kid. The drivers he competed against in NASCAR’s premier series liked him so much they would give him advice even as he was beating them.
    His father, Bobby Allison, and uncle Donnie had been long considered stock-car royalty and not only did he inherit their immense driving ability, he raced against them so well that he upped everyone’s game.
    And in a pivotal time in the sport’s development – the late 1980s and early 1990s – it was clear that Davey Allison’s talent and popularity would be a crucial bridge between NASCAR eras.
    Although Allison died in a helicopter crash in the Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway infield in July 1993 at the age of 32, he has ever since been celebrated for his great success on the track and his admirable following away from the track.
    https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ame-induction/

3. Likes 222lifer, Quad Box Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Wanted to post a follow up to the NASCAR hall of fame inductees this year. Some others deserve to be mentioned. This years group includes 2 owners from the sport, along with Alan Kulwicki, who also passed early in his life in an airplane crash.

NASCAR Hall of Fame to induct 2019 class
    Five more legends of stock-car racing will be inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame on Friday as part of the 10th class. Jeff Gordon, Jack Roush, Roger Penske, Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki will have their diverse NASCAR legacies secured in a gala enshrinement.

Watch the Hall of Fame ceremony this Friday at 8 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

Learn more about the Hall’s newest members.
    If you don't read the story there is one other interesting thing to note. Jack Roush also had an aircraft crash that he was fortunate enough to survive, but with many injuries. In the story link it provides details on careers and statistics.

https://www.nascar.com/nascar-hall-o...on-2019-class/

5. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Nice to see #24 get the nod.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

7. Likes fxstc07 Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Quote Originally Posted by 222lifer View Post
    Nice to see #24 get the nod.
    I agree. Jeff Gordon is another whose talent allowed him to rise above. It wasn't money. It wasn't his name either. Just talent.

Mother’s fear helped launch Jeff Gordon’s Hall of Fame career
    Jeff Gordon may not have had his historic NASCAR career if his mother had attended his first sprint car race.
    John and Carol Ann Bickford knew it would be a bad idea if Carol Ann watched her 13-year-old son, who had only driven quarter midgets and go-karts at that point, be scared by the power of a sprint car.
    Had she been at the All-Star Circuit of Champions Speedweek in Florida in 1985, she might not have seen Gordon be inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame 34 years later.
    “There was a method behind John’s madness,” Carol Ann told NBC Sports after Friday’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony. “He knew what it was going to be like for Jeff to get out on the track for the very first time in that sprint car. He knew that it would scare him. He knew that it was powerful.”
    For those that have driven high performance cars, the thrill of speed and acceleration is something that can't be explained.
    I had the opportunity to drive a friends sprint car on two different tracks many years ago. Williams Grove speedway and the Susquehanna speedway, both "old timers" events. So while I couldn't go full race mode, I had the chance to feel the power those cars make. Light weight, around 1400 pounds and around 900 horsepower. What a ride !

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/02...f-fame-career/

9. Likes 222lifer Liked this post
    Scab Hating Union Thug

Local Union
    Employer
    YRC

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    I agree. Jeff Gordon is another whose talent allowed him to rise above. It wasn't money. It wasn't his name either. Just talent.

Motherís fear helped launch Jeff Gordonís Hall of Fame career

For those that have driven high performance cars, the thrill of speed and acceleration is something that can't be explained.
    I had the opportunity to drive a friends sprint car on two different tracks many years ago. Williams Grove speedway and the Susquehanna speedway, both "old timers" events. So while I couldn't go full race mode, I had the chance to feel the power those cars make. Light weight, around 1400 pounds and around 900 horsepower. What a ride !

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/02...f-fame-career/
    I would recommend Jeff Gordon's book to anyone. You might just learn a thing or two about Jeff and the ole #3 car driver.

You're very lucky to have enjoyed that experience. Having a high bank 3/8th oval in our backyard sure spoiled us. It's a paved track and a sprint car with a wing is something to see. They made the decision to remove the wings on the cars a few years ago at our track. Good choice IMO. The super modified class came once a year and our local sprint drivers put the wings on for that event. They are so scary fast.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

11. Likes fxstc07 Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Been a year since we spoke of the Hall of Fame nominees.
    This year is another well deserved bunch.
    They have two different ballots, modern and pioneer drivers.
    I saw Dale Jr. at Richmond many years ago. He won the race. That would be the modern driver.
    As for the pioneers, how can you pick just one ? But I will. I was always a Harry Gant fan ( #33 ) so my choice isn't any different now.

Dale Earnhardt Jr., Carl Edwards Headline 2021 NASCAR Hall of Fame Nominees
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Carl Edwards are among the 15 members on NASCAR's Hall of Fame class of 2021 nominee list, which the organization announced Tuesday.
    The NASCAR balloting system is split into two parts: Modern and Pioneer. Those on the latter ballot are honored for their achievements if their career started 60 or more years ago (i.e., 1961 for this class).
    NASCAR will induct three members into its Hall of Fame: two from the Modern ballot and one from the Pioneer ballot.
    Joining Earnhardt Jr. and Edwards on the Modern ballot are Neil Bonnett, Jeff Burton, Harry Gant, Harry Hyde, Larry Phillips, Ricky Rudd, Kirk Shelmerdine and Mike Stefanik.
    Jake Elder, Red Farmer, Banjo Matthews, Hershel McGriff and Ralph Moody make up the Pioneer list.

Janet Guthrie, who is the first woman ever to compete in a NASCAR Cup Series superspeedway race, headlines a list of five nominees for the Landmark Award, which NASCAR.com writes "was introduced to honor significant contributions to the growth and esteem of NASCAR."
    How can anyone not recognize the great Ralph Moody, Red Farmer or Neil Bonnet ? All the others are just as prominent.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-fame-nominees

13. Likes 2631 Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

This article is about a driver that was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2015. What is more relevant is that this driver was the first black man in the sport. It wasn't an easy time breaking into the good ole boy southern racing circuits. He persevered and used his talent and his own money to become a NASCAR driver.
    Good story about a man many have never heard of.

Wendell Scott: The Nascar pioneer whose legacy is now more powerful than ever
    Scott was a pioneering Nascar driver who remains the only African-American to win at the sport's highest level, but he died in 1990 without ever receiving his official trophy, and at the time they said he finished third. It was a lie.
    Jacksonville, Florida, 1 December 1963. Wendell's grandson Warrick reels off the date and location in double time. A sharpened intensity flickers hot behind kind eyes as he does. Much of his 43 years have been spent campaigning for correction.
    "It's a weird dynamic when the only way you can stop somebody making an attempt on your life is to make them afraid of losing theirs," Warrick says of Scott's pistol strategy.
    "But that's how it was. The way people treated my grandfather was messed up."
    Over the past month, Nascar has been radically changing its image. The Confederate flag has been banned. It has embraced the Black Lives Matter movement. It has added its voice to those condemning police brutality and systemic racism.
    The process has not been straightforward. At a race in Talladega, Alabama, Nascar's only current black driver was thought to have been the target of a hate crime. A noose was found in the garage area assigned to Darrell 'Bubba' Wallace Jr.
    Scott grew up with the Jim Crow laws that in America's southern states denied black people equal rights with whites. His first taste of stock car racing came from the corner of a segregated stand in the late 1940s, having been through segregated education, having served as a soldier mechanic in America's segregated army in World War Two.
    Great story. Read the entire article here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/53184543

15. Likes 222lifer Liked this post

Members who have read this thread: 5