Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Shell oilsands workers to carry electronic trackers on the job

The idea of carrying an electronic tracker as you go through your work day would be an uncomfortable thought for many — but for oilsands workers, it is fast becoming something that goes with the territory.

Shell is the latest company to introduce the electronic trackers, which will be carried by contractors at the Albian Sands mining operation as part of a new pilot project.

The company said the trackers, which rely on a radio frequency ID to plot worker location and movement, will help assess operational efficiency — but will also improve worker safety, such as pinpointing worker fatigue. Each tracker is also equipped with a panic button that can be used to call for help in an emergency.
    The technology is becoming increasingly common in Alberta’s industrial north, said Wayne Garner, the vice president of General Teamsters Local Union No. 362.
    Shell oilsands workers to carry electronic trackers on the job - Edmonton - CBC News

2. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
    Retired !

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired - New Penn

Default Re: Shell oilsands workers to carry electronic trackers on the job

Interesting, but I expect to see more of that as technology becomes cheaper for businesses to utilize.
    My neighbor owns a landscape business. He has tracking devices in his trucks and knows the locations of the trucks, how much time the trucks idle ( wasting fuel ) and if they stop someplace not working. The program even tells him how much money it costs when the trucks and equipment stops.

4. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Quote Originally Posted by fxstc07 View Post
    Interesting, but I expect to see more of that as technology becomes cheaper for businesses to utilize.
    My neighbor owns a landscape business. He has tracking devices in his trucks and knows the locations of the trucks, how much time the trucks idle ( wasting fuel ) and if they stop someplace not working. The program even tells him how much money it costs when the trucks and equipment stops.
    My brother does heating and air conditioning here in NM and his company also has some kind of tracker like that in the vehicle.

6. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
    jackman12747

I hauled mail and all the contracters have to have eob in the trucks it tells them where the trucks location every 3 minutes

8. Likes fedexnuno Liked this post
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Welcome To jackman12747!

jackman12747

Thank you ABFwife

11. Likes ABFwife Liked this post
    Steward

Local Union
    Employer
    Nature's Best

FedEx Freight and Conway has that device too, when I was at FedEx, we use to call ours the Snitch device !
    Also the device was able to track when you actually got a phone call, it also started to record your conversation, which it's illegal, but old Fred Smith gets it his way !
    Next time you're by a FedEx freight truck, stand by it and search for another Bluetooth device on your phone and see the tractor unit number appear on your phone.
    One of my buddies who worked there, accidentllly tap into their recording section and discover that it recorded his conversation.

13. Likes ABFwife, crazy, 222lifer Liked this post