Welcome to the TeamstersOnline.com.
Thanks Thanks:  0
LOL LOL:  0
    Taking A Stand!!!

Local Union
    Employer
    ABF

Default Revenge on Its Pro-Worker Cities

I had once considered living in AZ because it is closer to my family in CA. I cannot tell you how many times I have thanked myself for not doing it. That state reminds me of Texas! It amazes me how New Mexico has managed to stay so pro worker when we are hemmed in between AZ and TX. Pro Worker in the sense that we keep defeating RTW!
    Inspired by decisions in cities like Tacoma, Wash., and Elizabeth, N.J., to require companies to offer paid sick leave, Lauren Kuby, a City Council member in Tempe, Ariz., began pushing a year ago for her city to do the same. By September, Kuby had secured enough support from her colleagues to have the city formally explore the issue. “I really took seriously Obama’s call to take local action,” says Kuby. “I saw cities as the place to make a difference.”

Then Kuby and her colleagues heard that Arizona’s Republican-controlled state legislature was considering punishing cities that tried to set their own codes for worker benefits. Arizona’s House passed a bill on March 1 specifying that cities aren’t allowed to require private employers to provide paid sick leave or vacation. The state Senate has passed companion legislation that would cut state funds, used to pay for services like police and firefighting, for cities that try to supersede state laws. “They actually decided to dissolve our study group because they were so chilled by the state threat,” says Kuby.

Lawmakers in Phoenix, Arizona’s capital, say they were inspired to act after the state’s Republican Governor, Doug Ducey, called in his January State of the State address for cities “to put the brakes on ill-advised plans to create a patchwork of different wage and employment laws.” He vowed to do everything in his power to block them, “up to and including changing the distribution of state-shared revenue.” (Arizona municipalities are prohibited from collecting income taxes and rely on distributions from state coffers.)
    Help Workers, Risk Losing Money for Cops - Bloomberg Business

2. Likes 222lifer, Sayheykid, slavenomore Liked this post
    Doh!

Local Union
    Employer
    Retired

Default Re: Revenge on Its Pro-Worker Cities

Arizona wants to punish cities that increase worker benefits, by withholding state funding.

So, since the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 and the Arizona minimum wage is $8.05
    shouldn't the state be punished by withholding federal funding?

On A Mission

Local Union
    N/A
    Employer
    N/A

Default Re: Revenge on Its Pro-Worker Cities

Sounds like they favor a North American Union type situation over national sovereignty IMO. Arizona. StoneyBaloney's home. He surely fits right in.